Need help with sheep hunting boots.

FURMAN

WKR
Ok, I got my self into a bind. My Guide really wanted me wearing Scarpa Invernos. I bought some over a year ago and have been hiking in them once a week. I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet, which I have never had before. I just tried to power through for about 10 months. The problem just got worse. I ordered .5 size smaller and that seemed to fix the issue until I had about 40 miles on them and the issue came back with longer hikes. I ordered some Grand Drus because it was is top non plastic choice suggested by my guide. I can not even get a mile in them without blisters. They may just need broken in(I don't have time) but I have never had a pair of boots blister that fast and I am not really a fan of the large heel pocket. I will have some Briksdal SFs here tomorrow as I have had great luck with the Thors(required zero break-in). I only have 3 days left before my hunt. I will hike in the Briksdals to see how they feel. Should I just pretape and take the Invernos? I am really out of time and options.

Trial153

WKR
I wouldn't take them and pretape .
You already know the outcome. Why not try the new boots, hike in them and see...take them and pretape. If the are comfortable at least you have a better chance the boots you know will blister.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I wouldn't take them and pretape .
You already know the outcome. Why not try the new boots, hike in them and see...take them and pretape. If the are comfortable at least you have a better chance the boots you know will blister.

I will hike in the Briksdals. I guess my question was if they are no different. I am hoping the Briksdals are super easy to break in or require no break in like my thors but they are quite a bit stiffer and that may be a pipe dream. I blew it by trying for too long to make a boot work when I really knew it wasn't the right thing to do.

Last edited:
OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
One thing to add is I personally can hike easier with blisters on the balls of my feet than on the heels although both are obviously no fun.

Trial153

WKR
I will hike in the Briksdals. I guess my question was if they are no different. I am hoping the Briksdals are super easy to break in or require no break in like my thors but they are quite a bit stiffer and that may be a pipe dream. I blew it by trying for too long to make a boot work when I really knew it wasn't the right thing to do.
At least you have some potential upside. Maybe the new boots break in on the hunt.....you know that the scarpa is going to bet better at this point

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
At least you have some potential upside. Maybe the new boots break in on the hunt.....you know that the scarpa is going to bet better at this point

I do believe you are correct I just hate the unknown. I would take the Invernos over the Grand Drus any day so If I had applied that thought process with the Grand Dru I would have actually taken a worse boot.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I am very irritated with myself because this is rookie mistake and I know better.

ljalberta

WKR
A less rigid or sturdy built boot won't ruin a sheep hunt. Blistered feet could very well do it though. I've done a couple sheep hunts in the very flexible and leaky Salomon 4Ds, although I prefer a stiffer boot now, I would have no problem hunting in more of a hiking boot like such. If you have something that is comfy and you know you don't blister in, such as the Thor's you mentioned, then I would take those.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
A less rigid or sturdy built boot won't ruin a sheep hunt. Blistered feet could very well do it though. I've done a couple sheep hunts in the very flexible and leaky Salomon 4Ds, although I prefer a stiffer boot now, I would have no problem hunting in more of a hiking boot like such. If you have something that is comfy and you know you don't blister in, such as the Thor's you mentioned, then I would take those.

I would never choose to take thors into steep sheep country. They are very comfortable but have almost no support. I am not saying they won't work but I do not have confidence they will give the ankle support I need for this hunt. It is something for me to consider though.

JP100

WKR
Take the boots that fit.

Plastic boots are TERRIBLE for walking on anything but extreme steep shit. No offence but plastic boots are a shit option, they are awful for comfort. Plastic will never wear in, leave em to the ice climbers. you will be getting hot spots on your feet because of the extreme stiffness of the boots, they are only good for vertical and near verticle climbing. If you see alpine climbers you will see they wear a light pair of boots on the walk in and carry their climbing boots, they are that uncomfortable haha.

I dont have much experience with the Crispis, but a boot that fits and is comfortable(even if it isnt the 'best' boot) will be 1000 times better than a 'good' boot that wrecks your feet.

Broken and blistered feet will destroy your hunt quicker than anything else.

I would wear your new boots every day,inside and outside and if they feel good take em. If they dont go back to the Thors. Were they the boots you wore here??

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Take the boots that fit.

Plastic boots are TERRIBLE for walking on anything but extreme steep shit. No offence but plastic boots are a shit option, they are awful for comfort. Plastic will never wear in, leave em to the ice climbers. you will be getting hot spots on your feet because of the extreme stiffness of the boots, they are only good for vertical and near verticle climbing. If you see alpine climbers you will see they wear a light pair of boots on the walk in and carry their climbing boots, they are that uncomfortable haha.

I dont have much experience with the Crispis, but a boot that fits and is comfortable(even if it isnt the 'best' boot) will be 1000 times better than a 'good' boot that wrecks your feet.

Broken and blistered feet will destroy your hunt quicker than anything else.

I would wear your new boots every day,inside and outside and if they feel good take em. If they dont go back to the Thors. Were they the boots you wore here??

The Thors were the boots I wore with you and I have to say I was impressed. Not a single blister even after days with wet feet. I do believe we will be doing more vertical hiking than on flat ground and I believe that is why he wants me to bring plastics. I always say don't guide the guide but like you have all said you can't hunt if you can't hike and blisters suck. I actually think the infernos are super comfortable until the hot spots begin.

He suggested Invernos, wow...I’m sorry to hear this. Tapes not going to help. These boots have a nickname “the foot-punishers”. Something that technical is supposed to give all the control to the balls of your feet, they’re doing what they were designed to, not your fault. These are specifically for ice climbing and front-pointing with crampons. We’re talking heavy duty winter mountaineering boots for climbing Denali. Guys don’t even wear those until they reach the point to where they are required.

Grand Drus are still designed for alpine ice and some ice climbing. If you were on the terrain they are designed for probably not gonna give you blisters. These really aren’t ideal either.

You would probably do best with a solid 3/4 shank style boot, minimum 6” height. These are really the best for climbing rock and hiking steep slopes, as well as some alpine ice for a guy that doesnt live and breath mountaineering all day every day. Sucks though cause every boot is different even within each brand. So who knows if the Crispis will work. Unfortunately you won’t know until you got them on.

Good luck on your hunt, sounds ******* awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Plenty of boot recommendations here. But, as for your feet. Get Leuko tape and tincture if benzoin ASAP. If you have blisters currently get them drained and filled with the benzoin. It’s going to suck, and burn like hell for a few seconds, but, you will have hobbit feet afterward. If you don’t have blisters, still apply the benzoin to problem areas. It can help toughen your feet. Then, on game day benzoin up and Leuko tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
The Briksdal SFs got here mid day Monday. I put a quick 3 mi on them with no issues straight out of the box. Tuesday morning I put another four mi then ran some errands and went back out for another 6. This morning I put another 8 mi on them. Still no problems. I will be taking these boots to Alaska.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Sorry I meant to talk about that. It will barely flex in my hand. I would rate it 8 stiffness, the grand dru 9 and the inverno 10.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Well I hunted some pretty tough terrain in AK but we did not really put too many miles on the boots. In any case they held up great and I had no foot problems. I do see why they recommend plastics where we were.