Need help with tent and sleeping bag

Jonrad

FNG
Ok guys went camping and hunting for the first time and I'm hooked. I have been looking for gear and getting prepared. Need some help with Tent and sleeping bag. I'll be in Texas and Missouri

OP
J

Jonrad

FNG
That’s the best advice I have gotten all day and I’m not being a jerk with the reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandYacht

WKR
Seriously though, my buy once cry once advice is buy the best sleeping bag you think you’d ever want. For me that was a WM Versalite. Prior to that bag I had a NF Cats Meow which was a good first starter bag, and had it for 15 years. The down bag is the pinnacle in my opinion. If your sleeping in a lake then dont get down.

As far as a tent, I think you’ll have to try them till you find one you like. I’ve been very happy with floorless shelters and enjoy experimenting with different bivies to keep things exciting. Been using my SO LBO for around 7 years now and love its versatility for being able to adapt to 4 people or shrink down to just house me.

You’ll want to look at sleeping pads too, they really go hand in hand with your bag. Lots of good brands out there and it all depends on personal preference really. I tried like crazy not to use a Thermarest Neoair, but ended up just wasting my money on them as the Neoair has been my go to pad.

Welcome to the sickness

LandYacht

WKR
Be careful, your wallet is only going to get skinnier!

It’s fun that’s for sure

Quant

FNG
What is your price range? What temps are you expecting? If you want top of the line sleeping bags or quilts, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are good options. Hilleberg and Seek Outside make great tents and shelters. You options are only limited by your wallet and how much you are willing to put on your back.

OP
J

Jonrad

FNG
I have about 6 months for my next trip it’s going to be in Texas so it’s going to be hot but then in November December we have planned another hunt so I have time to make a budget for my trip I want to say $1500 -1800 but I need everything from a pack tent sleeping bags etc

Quant

FNG
You can probably get by with a tarp or a bivy sack instead of tent. Quilts are also great for warmer weather, plus lighter. If you are back-packing in, don’t skimp on the back pack.

OP
J

Jonrad

FNG
I’m looking into kifaru now trying to find a good deal on one

xziang

WKR
If you don't know if you will like floorless mountainsmith lt is a cheap possibility to try. Under 100.00 and gets great reviews. Bags I like BA bags because of the sleeve and i move a round a lot and end up off my mat a lot of times. Alsk have WM alpinelite which is great bht fjnd myself using BA more. (Lost ranger) many months keep eye out on CL and FB for used gear and on here too.

OP
J

Jonrad

FNG
I can’t look on here yet just joined and I can’t do an open floor I have a bad back

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can't give you a lot of answers, but I'll give you a head start on some questions to ask.

Hunting Style
- If you plan to hunt TX and Missouri, weight probably doesn't matter that much. If you EVER plan to do high altitude steep country backpack hunting, start cutting weight at the beginning. It'll be much cheaper in the end.

Sleeping bags
1. What is the LOWEST temp rating you ever expect to sleep out in. What is the reputation for temp ratings from the company whose bag you're considering. Some like WM are spot on, others I've had are 20 degrees optimistic.
2. Good down will last 50-70 years if taken care of, and if you've ever washed a down bag in a bathtub you'll know how hard it is to soak out. Down is lighter, warmer, and more expensive than synthetic.

Packs
1. A load shelf pack would be good if you intend to take a treestand.
2. For TX and MS I'd probably prioritize money here first, comfort is king and an uncomfortable pack can ruin a trip.

Tents
There are a lot of tents that would work for you. For TX and MS I'd want protection from scorpions, snakes, ticks most of the year, so something that has a nest or inner would be good. You probably won't have to deal with a ton of snow or wind loading, and in those environments weight probably won't be critical. If you warm weather camp get something that will ventilate!!!

Thor45

FNG
Regarding our sleeping bag take into consideration how you run temperature wise. What works for one person, say a bag with a 20 degree rating, may not work for you. This was my experience on my first good bag purchase as I run pretty cold and the person i was seeking advice runs pretty hot. Well I needed a warmer bag than that person.

Also most people are willing to share/loan their gear for you to try. I was able to do this and learned alot, without spending the money, on what works best for me.

It is fun staying on the gear trail, get out there and get the the experience. Experience is something you can't purchase.

Don’t underestimate the wind load. Having something solid and sturdy is a good idea with Texas weather. Wind can blow steady 20-30mph at times in the spring and summer, depending on where in Texas you are going.
I would def recommend a liner or a floored tent. A good 3 season should do fine unless you are planning on being in the northern panhandle in December.

b1c2r3r4

FNG
If it is just you a six moon design lunar solo would work. It has bug net and floor. It runs about $230. You won’t need a sleeping bag for July in Texas. Moosejaw has a sale on sleeping bags. I got a Nemo disco 15 degree for $218 if that would work for Missouri.
I am thinking about this set up for archery season in Colorado.

Last edited:

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
Enjoyed reading the tread above because I am in similar situation. From Iowa and planning for October (rifle 1) pack in Colorado elk hunt. I have already purchased middle of the road tent and sleeping bags that I hope will be adequate for weight and comfort for the weather. I need to purchase a sleeping pad still. I thought I had this figured out what I wanted but have since decided I need to buy one with better insulation value. What are your all recommendations for best value sleeping pad for Colorado October pack in hunt? My understanding is weather may vary from single digits up to 60 degrees.

xajoles

FNG
Seriously though, my buy once cry once advice is buy the best sleeping bag you think you’d ever want. For me that was a WM Versalite. Prior to that bag I had a NF Cats Meow which was a good first starter bag, and had it for 15 years. The down bag is the pinnacle in my opinion. If your sleeping in a lake then dont get down.

As far as a tent, I think you’ll have to try them till you find one you like. I’ve been very happy with floorless shelters and enjoy experimenting with different bivies to keep things exciting. Been using my SO LBO for around 7 years now and love its versatility for being able to adapt to 4 people or shrink down to just house me.

You’ll want to look at sleeping pads too, they really go hand in hand with your bag. Lots of good brands out there and it all depends on personal preference really. I tried like crazy not to use a Thermarest Neoair, but ended up just wasting my money on them as the Neoair has been my go to pad.

Welcome to the sickness

https://angelexpert.de/
I was trying to pack up my tent last weekend and had a hard time getting everything back in the bag. I was tempted to just loosely stuff it in a container so no moisture would get trapped in the tent. What do you guys do when there is still some condensation on the tent?