Need Help

mhouck06

FNG
Relatively new to western hunting. Went on a guided mule deer hunt 5 years ago. Slept at a ranch, got dropped off in a coulee and picked up at another end. Took a wide array of gander mountain, walmart, and whatever else gear I had. Worked fine then.

2020 Rolls around and I am expanding my horizon and my gear.

I have started acquiring gear for western hunts.. looking at
2020 OTC Colorado Archery Elk. (base-camp/ backpack hunt)
2020 Montana mule deer gun hunt. (airb&B with possibility of a night or 2 camping)
2021 Wyoming Deer/Elk gun hunt (basecamp wall tent)

Clothing wise I have acquired the following
FL Kiln Top and Bottom x2
FL Wick Top
SG DeHavilland Pant / FL Obsidian Pant / Sitka Timberline Pant
Save the Duck Puffy Coat or FL Cirrus Insulated Jacket
FL Gaiters - Switching out to Outdoor Research Gaiters

I am in need of:
Good all around jacket - Possibly SG DeHavilland, Kuiu Axis or Sitka Thunderhead (Thinking Thunderhead because I can knock off my waterproof layer with that also)

General Rain Gear (Top and Bottom if I don't go with Thunderhead Top)
Looking at Sitka Cloudburst, Kuiu Chugach, SG M5 or FL Vapor... hell maybe even frog toggs...

Puffy Pants - Really interested in SG Grumman (may get coat also)
Also looking at the Uncompahgre from FL

I have various hats/beanies, gloves, merino underwear, darn tough socks.. etc.

Running a SG Sky 5900 pack.

I also have Sitka Stratus Top and Bottom, Fanatic Hoody and Fanatic Vest. I could add these, but they don't seem very pack-able and I am hesitant to use my archery clothing for this type of hunt.

With my wide array of gear/possible selections, I have no preference on camo or brand. I just want good gear that I wont have to replace. I will piece together what works for me

Any and all recommendations are welcome. I feel like the puffy and the rain gear may just come down to personal preference... I just am so torn on a good all around jacket. Whats more important, water resistance, wind resistance?? etc.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I wouldn't recommend getting the Thunderhead jacket. It doesn't serve the purpose of a general jacket, and it wets out too quick to be your dedicated rain shell. Takes a lot longer to dry as well once it's wet. Much better off with a puffy jacket and a rain shell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
mhouck06

mhouck06

FNG
I wouldn't recommend getting the Thunderhead jacket. It doesn't serve the purpose of a general jacket, and it wets out too quick to be your dedicated rain shell. Takes a lot longer to dry as well once it's wet. Much better off with a puffy jacket and a rain shell.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That is definitely good to know. Thank you.

Ralphie

WKR
I don’t wear an all around jacket I guess. Like above I use a puffy and a rain shell.

Rilsee

FNG
What puffy/shell combos are you guys wearing?

I’ve enjoyed the FL Brooks Down Sweater, and the FL Vapor Stormlight rain jacket.

However it should be noted that if it is below freezing, and you are not extremely active, another insulation piece is recommended in conjunction with the Brooks. I use the Uncompaghre Vest and a Sitka Mid fleece. It does well to keep me warm. I’m 6’0” and 150lbs so I’m skinny and get cold easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat either the axis jacket or jet stream jacket for a good all around jacket that will serve you well By itself or with layers under. I have the jet stream and am very pleased with it, wear it anywhere from mid 50’s and took it all the way down to 20’s for stationary hunting this year, with layers under.
with the pit zips and layers it can be a very effective outer for active hunting as well.

Hondo

WKR
Ditto on the Sitka Jetstream for an all around jacket for rifle season. I don't use it for archery and it is not what I consider highly packable but it is excellent. On the lighter and more easily packable side I like the First Lite Corrugate jacket. I'll use it for archery and rifle as it has excellent range of motion and it provides a more durable outer layer over a merino mid-layer or puffy vest.