Need help

Ok so I’m shooting 195 Berger’s out of my 7mm at 2994 FPS, when I put that into my shooter app it gives me the calculation to dial 8.6 Moa at 550yds. That adjustment sends my bullet over the target every time, so I adjust my shooter app by putting 3040fps and it gives me 8 Moa and that Is dead nuts every shot. So what I’m getting at is why is my shooter app having me dial for more Moa then what I need? Hope that makes sense 🤷‍♂️

Antares

WKR
The app is just making an educated guess and producing try DOPE. You've gone and "tried" it and then made adjustments. So you've now trued your ballistic calculator. Don't get hung up on your actual MV being different than what your putting into the calculator. The point is that it tells you the correct come up for a given range.

This is why I quit using a chrono for making drop tables. What's the point if you're going to put something different into the calculator anyways? I just take the velocity of the box, whack 100fps off of it to account for my 20" barrel, and use that as a starting place for my try DOPE. Keep in mind, I don't reload, just shooting factory ammo.

MidwestElkHutner

Lil-Rokslider
Assuming that your MV is accurate, the other variables that are used to calculate dope through shooter app or any ballistic calculator need to be correct. Are your weather and environmental conditions entered correctly? Are your rifle characteristics entered as accurately as possible: scope above bore height and twist rate. If any of those are off, the ballistic solution will be off. If all those are correct, the next thing to look at is truing your ballistic coefficient. Published values, depending on manufacturer, can be suspect. All of these inputs need to be correct for the ballistic solver to produce a reliable solution. I have not used shooter app, but your input values have to be correct for any ballistic program.

Wapiti1

WKR
Check the scope first and make sure it tracks as it is supposed to. Up 20 MOA and back to zero on a 100 yard target with marks to show 5, 10, 15, and 20 MOA. You can shoot a tall target test too, but it's easy to make a MOA check target with a whiteboard, marker and tape measure.

Once you verify that the scope tracks properly, then work through the list 406Smith has.

Jeremy