need help

littlebuf

Banned
alright, ive been going back and forth on this for months now on what sleeping bag to by. now im going to ask for some help from you guys. heres what i need (need being subjective i suppose) im 6'5" so i need a long one, weigh in at 250,more or less a trim build but ive got pretty broad shoulders (better be careful here or aron may start hitting on me) i tried out a bag with a 62" girth and that just wont work,im thinking the min is going to be 66". looking for down and i want it under lets say 25oz. lighter the better obviuosly. oh and a temp rating from 20 to 30* . im thinking a no hood bag is the way i want to go but the right hooded option would be fine to if it meets these peramiters. budget is 400 and under (just spent 1600+ on optics so thats whats left to spend right now) come on guys, i know you can help me out here.

a3dhunter

WKR
Montbell UL SS
Or
Kifaru slick bag are best for bigger guys from what I have found.
Not sure either one fits exactly within your spec, but pretty close.
Have you looked at those?

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
slick bag is over 2 pounds , not sure on the ither one. ill look at it. but im finding these specs in my size a tough combo. really id like to be down around 20oz but that may not happen

Yeti

FNG
For your size can guarantee that your will be more than happy with the Montbell U.L SS # 3 It comes in at 25oz and the girth stretches to 81 inch's. I'm 6'4 and have very broad shoulders these bags are awesome. On the montbell website they list them for $359 for the #3 and 439 for the #1 15 degree bag. I have seen the #3 recently on sale I will try to find the website again but I think it was selling for 288

• Banned
OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
sounds like a good bag at a good price. how does it pack down?

Yeti

FNG
It really is a good bag I will try to get a picture of it packed down. I have the #1 and recently sold the #3 to a friend . When I get home later I will take a picture of the #1 packed and will try to get my friend to send me a picture of the #3. The 3# packs down smaller of course. I know there are other here on rokslide that own one so maybe they have a pic of the #3

Also I ordered mine from Backcountry .com they will price match and have a great return policy.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
only problem w/WM is hard to get into under $500

Yep, going to have to find one in the classifieds.

LB, you will have a small weight penalty but my second choice would be the slick bag. Not down, but it's a hell of a bag.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Slick bag was my first choice untill I started finding bags half the weight and packing smaller.realy I coud except more weight better than lager packed size,if that makes sense

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
the black bag from the military 3 bag system. forget what they call it.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
yeti, how did you like the temp rating on that #3 bag? i sleep pretty warm and have a puffy jacket and merino to suppliment for low temps. lowest id probably ever see would be the 20's. think id be good?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What about a woobie with a bivy sack? I guess size could be a factor. I am going to run that this summer/archery season.

Yeti

FNG
yeti, how did you like the temp rating on that #3 bag? i sleep pretty warm and have a puffy jacket and merino to suppliment for low temps. lowest id probably ever see would be the 20's. think id be good?

I sleep warm also and the #3 was good for me down to 20 'especiallyly if you layer, I only got the #1 because I was going to be in temps down to 10 degrees so instead of having three different bags I kept the #1 and sold the #3 (kinda thinking about buying another one ) now I just pack a quilt for most of my Cali hunting our just unzip the Montbell if I get too hot. I feel that the Monbell is the most like a quilt but with better draft protection.