need new bag, looking for advice

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I have a sheep hunt scheduled for mid Aug this year in the Brooks Range

My old Wiggy's bag weighs 5.1 lbs with the stuff sack so don't plan to take.

Thinking of a 15 degree bag with a my Therm-a-rest Neoair

Synthetic or down? are all of the treated down products the same? looks like about 8-10 oz savings if use down

Bag with a pad sleeve? seems like a great idea so you don't roll off.

Jac

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t go wrong with a western mountaineering bag. Big Agnes has some nice ones. I have been using a Serra design backcountry bed 700 it’s different then your normal mommy bag. Some hunting company selling bags also bit pretty pricey

Marble

WKR
So are you packing it in? Or just from the truck?

I just googled top ten bags and started looking at what was available. I wanted it to be fairly small and around 2 pounds. I ended up with an REI Magna 10. Its the big version and I'm 6'01" 220, broad shouldered. I fit in it, but barely. Used it down into the 20s and was good. Actually a little warm with just a base layer.

After searching REI I found this one that looked interesting.

I've been backcountry hunting for 20 years and it was adequate, but not as comfortable as I had hoped. If I dont get a slightly larger one for this year, what I have will work.

OP
Indyal

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
Both of those look like nice bags. Thanks for the tip

So are you packing it in? Or just from the truck?

I just googled top ten bags and started looking at what was available. I wanted it to be fairly small and around 2 pounds. I ended up with an REI Magna 10. Its the big version and I'm 6'01" 220, broad shouldered. I fit in it, but barely. Used it down into the 20s and was good. Actually a little warm with just a base layer.

After searching REI I found this one that looked interesting.

I've been backcountry hunting for 20 years and it was adequate, but not as comfortable as I had hoped. If I dont get a slightly larger one for this year, what I have will work.
I have been looking at this bag too. I'm 6' 225 with wide shoulders. Given it was a tight fit for you, do you think it would be too tight for me?

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Stone Glacier down bags are VERY nice. The down is treated, dries quickly, retains loft and the cut of the bag is generous. Zipper and materials are all top notch backed by a phenomenal company.

Last edited:

Gapmaster

WKR
I’ve got a Big Agnes Summit Park 15 that I love. It’s a good weight, down insulation and has a pad sleeve. No insulation in the bottom, so need a good R value pad. I bought one for my son as well. Good bag for the money. We’re about the same size, I’m 6’1 230 and have tons of room in this bag.

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my Feathered Friends UL Lark 10 degree and it is everything I had hoped for. Super lofty and light as a feather. I'm seriously blown away at how light it is and the loft is incredible.

ridgefire

WKR
I have been really happy with my Marmot Helium. I have slept down into the low 20's comfortably in it. Weighs in right around two lbs and packs down small.

Marble

WKR
I have been looking at this bag too. I'm 6' 225 with wide shoulders. Given it was a tight fit for you, do you think it would be too tight for me?
Well I cant find the Magna 10 anymore, REI doesnt sell it on their website. But the other i listed is for sale and is supposed to be roomier on the top.

The Magna is warm and snug for me, fits just big enough for me to be in and move around. But not as roomy as I would like. But, the trade off is it only weighs 2 pounds and packs super small. Add my pad for another 1.5 pounds iirc, I think less, and I'm good to go.

I slept well each night. But I'm wanting the room I have in my bed lol.

Marble

WKR
So I cant say if you would be comfy. If I find a bag I cant live without, that is slightly wider at the top, I might try it out.

September is backpacking so i go light. October is by horse and I dont mind packing a larger and heavier 0 degree bag on the horse.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
So I cant say if you would be comfy. If I find a bag I cant live without, that is slightly wider at the top, I might try it out.

September is backpacking so i go light. October is by horse and I dont mind packing a larger and heavier 0 degree bag on the horse.

Western Mountaineering Sequoia. Order it through Hermits Hut and they overfill it for free getting it down to about a -3 degree bag.