Need new treking poles.

cmeier117

WKR
Hey guys I am in the need of a new set of trekking poles. I need them to be able to do the following. Used to pitch my Kifaru Megatarp, be able to attach snow baskets for snow shoeing. I also would like them to be as light as possible. The two that I am considering right now are the Leki Micro Stick Ti. I like how these collapse, kinda like the black diamond Z poles, but with a small range of adjustments with the speedlock. Only thing is they only go to 51 inches and 52 is what the mega tarp is set at. Not sure if that is a big deal. The second set of poles is the MSR UL 3 trekking poles which goes to 55 inches. I haven't heard much on these but I like the idea of having a positive lock no slip pole and they are light weight. If anyone has experience with either of these and wants to chime it that would be great. I know there are a million different poles out there but these two caught my eye and I can get both of these for about 40% off retail so price isn't a huge issue although the MSR is a bit cheaper.

Cmeier117 - Under backpacking Forum go to Pacemaker review (or search Pacemaker). I ordered a pair of these treking poles last week and should be getting them in the mail today or tomorrow. I was going to go with the Leka corklites, but after reading the reviews on the Pacemaker Expeditions I thought I would give them a try.
Regards!

aron

WKR
I wouldn't worry about the Leki's only going to 51in. I don't think the inch would be a big deal, and if it was its pretty easy to find something to stick under for the extra inch.

Is it the micro vario that have the speed lock adjustment and collapseable?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Yes, I think they are called the Micro Vario Ti and they are adjustable with the single speedlock near the top. It isn't the carbon ones, I am not a fan of carbon poles.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I have some black diamond Z-poles (aluminum) and I like them for everything but setting up my GoLite tipi with for that I need real flick locks that I can break down as it saves me 12 oz off the top by not having to bring the center pole for the tipi. Great poles other wise. Used them in the Brooks Range last year on a sheep hunt we shot a sheep 17 miles from the pick up location. Had to buy them as we were 1.5 hours north of my house driving on a 12 hour drive I realized I forgot trekking poles so bought these in Fairbanks on the way north and paid a purdy penny for them for sure.

Anyways they are these one:
http://www.backcountryedge.com/blac...rm={keyword}&gclid=CNPqiu_53rYCFYNxQgodOEkA0Q

They go to 55" and are 16 oz for the pair. I can hook ya up with a smoking deal on them if interested as I won't be using them much other than that one hunt.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I have some black diamond Z-poles (aluminum) and I like them for everything but setting up my GoLite tipi with for that I need real flick locks that I can break down as it saves me 12 oz off the top by not having to bring the center pole for the tipi. Great poles other wise. Used them in the Brooks Range last year on a sheep hunt we shot a sheep 17 miles from the pick up location. Had to buy them as we were 1.5 hours north of my house driving on a 12 hour drive I realized I forgot trekking poles so bought these in Fairbanks on the way north and paid a purdy penny for them for sure.

Anyways they are these one:
http://www.backcountryedge.com/blac...rm={keyword}&gclid=CNPqiu_53rYCFYNxQgodOEkA0Q

They go to 55" and are 16 oz for the pair. I can hook ya up with a smoking deal on them if interested as I won't be using them much other than that one hunt.

Can those poles use snow baskets?

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Maybe I could makeshift my own. ;) I wasn't sure if the FL version could use them or not?