Need opinion on Leofoto LS-324C

atmat

WKR
I was recently gifted a new Leofoto LS-324C with ball head, but it came with the receipt. I’m new to backpack hunting (and spending lots of time glassing), so wanted to run this tripod by Rokslide and get their thoughts whether I should keep or return and buy something else.

I’ve got a lot of questions/general thoughts:

1) This tripod doesn’t have an integrated center column. It does come with an optional non-integrated one, but it makes it pretty long for packing — so I don’t think I’d use it. Am I giving anything up by not having a center column? On one hand, seems like it makes for easy to fine-time the height adjustment. On the other hand, it seems like it would be much less stable to glass from.

2) Without center column and swapping the rubber feet for the spikes, it weighs exactly 60 ounces (3.75 lbs). Is that too much for a backpacking tripod? That brings my spotter and tripod to just shy of 7lbs.

3) It’s max payload is quite a bit. I like how sturdy it is, and think I might use it to shoot from. But do I need that much payload?

4) So far, I really like the ball head. It has a separate pan feature, and the friction control knob seems great. But I see most people here using fluid heads. Am I giving anything up by staying with this ball head?

5) Is having 4 legs pieces too many? Will that really hinder or slow me down much in the field?

Does anyone have any other thoughts on the tripod? It was from Amazon, so I can return it.

I mostly do hunts within a few miles of my vehicle, but I’d like to start doing some deep back country hunts. As I said, I have an ATS-65 and also carry binos (8.5x42 or 10x42). I’m just now getting into more Western hunting.

Thanks everyone!

Edit: typo

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
1) Your pro and con is correct. I try not to use my center column.
2/3) I prefer a stout tripod over a lightweight one. I am using a Manfrotto carbon 055 similar to what you have and it results in more usability in wind and vibration resistance.
4) it's fine.

I'd use that tripod and trade you my lighter weight Sirui for it! You can get by with the ball head, but for spotter use will probably end up wanting a pan/fluid head.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Thanks for the response! It seems like maybe I’m overthinking it.

Knowing I can get a full refund: for the cost, is there a better setup?

alpine_troop

Lil-Rokslider
For the cost you would be hard pressed to match the performance and capabilities of that kit. I’d stick with that for a season or two and then go from there if you want to upgrade.

High load capacity is good. For example, you would not want to mount a 10 lbs rifle on a ball head with a 15 lbs rating. That’s effectively maxing out the system and you would always feel like the rifle is overpowering the stability of the tripod. In the same vein, if you mount a 3-4 lbs spotter in a ball head with a 40 lbs lid rating, you will have commanding control over that spotter due to the available friction in the head. And that makes glassing with a ball head very smooth.

It’s not unlike vehicle payload: my Outback has a payload rating if 900 lbs, but if I load it to 800, it substantially effects the driving dynamics.

I have a Leofoto LS325C+LH40 kit. Kinda wish I had the 324 tripod, cause 5 sections get annoying for setup and tear down. 4 sections is a good balance of pack-ability, weight, and extended height.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Depends on if you prioritize weight over stability. I'd go use the thing and see how if you like it. Like I said, I'd trade my light tripod for what you have all day every day.
Thanks! Based on yours and another’s comment, I’ll go ahead and keep it.

I just wanted confirmation from others before I use it and ruin the option to return for cash.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
For the cost you would be hard pressed to match the performance and capabilities of that kit. I’d stick with that for a season or two and then go from there if you want to upgrade.
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to avoid the need to upgrade in a season or two and pay twice. But I really just don’t have enough experience with spotters to say. Based on yours and another’s feedback, though, this one at least sounds sufficient.

I do get your point about payload. But all my rifles are light/ultralight (heaviest weighs 7lbs loaded and with optics), and of course my spotter is only a few pounds.

I think my biggest concern was the lack of middle column. Switching from my spotter to binos will take adjusting all four legs, instead of just using the center column.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks! Based on yours and another’s comment, I’ll go ahead and keep it.

I just wanted confirmation from others before I use it and ruin the option to return for cash.

Go use it at a park with a good overlook or a parking lot with a great view. Then you won't beat it up and still be return eligible.

The biggest thing I would look for is stability when panning, how well the head settles when you lock it down, and if there's an easy default leg adjustment that put it at the right height when on my stool. What I mean by that is my tripod with the first two sections extended fully puts my noculars at the correct height. It would bug me to have a tripod that needed one section at the middle for that to happen because then it would eat up a few minutes of fiddling to align and level.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Go use it at a park with a good overlook or a parking lot with a great view. Then you won't beat it up and still be return eligible.

The biggest thing I would look for is stability when panning, how well the head settles when you lock it down, and if there's an easy default leg adjustment that put it at the right height when on my stool. What I mean by that is my tripod with the first two sections extended fully puts my noculars at the correct height. It would bug me to have a tripod that needed one section at the middle for that to happen because then it would eat up a few minutes of fiddling to align and level.
That’s a great idea. I hadn’t thought about finding the natural set points and seeing how much finagling it takes to get there. Thanks for the advice.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
Have you had a chance to play around with this tripod/head combo glassing yet? This one is on my short list.

OP
A

atmat

WKR
Have you had a chance to play around with this tripod/head combo glassing yet? This one is on my short list.
I did, and I ultimately took it back. It was sturdy as all get out, and I really liked the ball head.

But two things kept bothering me: the weight and the lack of an integrated center post.

I bought a Slik 634 instead with Wiser precision pan head. In seated or standing position, it lines up perfectly with my ATS to glass without the center column up. But then I can raise the center column for my binos.

ATL

FNG
I purchased the Leofoto 324 and 284 to test side by side. I shot from both of them with my rifle directly mounted to the ball heads (XLR Element 4.0). I could not tell the difference in group size, so I kept the 284 to save weight. Glassing with bino’s has been stable enough as well.

colt1776

FNG
I've collected a few Leofoto tripods over the years one of things that I've learned is each tripod has its advantages and disadvantages. The obvious is the larger tripod you get the heavier its going to be but with that you gain more stability. I am 5' 11" and finding a tall enough tripod to glass standing was a tough one. I also shoot PRS style matches and spend alot of time standing and glassing.

The first tripod I bought was a LN-364C with a RRS leveling base 8.4lbs overall and is like 68in high. Super solid and stable glassing and shooting off of standing but way to heavy to be packing around the woods.

The second tripod I bought was the LS-323C with a LH-40 ball head it is around 4.3lbs and gets tall enough to glass and shoot off of standing you probably have double the wabble compared to the LN-364C but half the weight. This tripod is perfect for carrying around hunting pigs at night but I would not want to carry it backpack hunting in the mountains.

Third tripod was the LS-254C with a LH-30 ball head is 43oz with rubber feet and 40oz with spike feet. I bought this one to use as a glassing and shooting tripod. It is tall enough to glass off of sitting in a chair but not standing. It does have a detachable center column but I dont use it. Stable enough to shoot off of high kneeling. This is a small of a tripod that I would go if you want to be able to shoot a 10-12lb hunting rifle off of.

Feel free to PM is you have any questions about them.

Attachments

• 471329B7-82D3-4E96-AF27-E69E1854C20D.jpeg
    471329B7-82D3-4E96-AF27-E69E1854C20D.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 35AF4DEA-90AE-4A6D-995C-862CDD7E585D.jpeg
    35AF4DEA-90AE-4A6D-995C-862CDD7E585D.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 0592D6D3-7456-4B92-84C8-523F362D74BA.jpeg
    0592D6D3-7456-4B92-84C8-523F362D74BA.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 69
  • BC295CA5-036B-4CB6-AC46-09D804336E92.jpeg
    BC295CA5-036B-4CB6-AC46-09D804336E92.jpeg