Need opinion on Pack

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Ive been really wanting a good pack for backcountry hunting. I was sort of saving up $$ for a pack that has a tilt away main compartment so I could pack meat or hide against the pack frame and then cinch main compartment back against it to keep the weight against my body for hikes out. Im not hell bent on that option but I think its handy to keep meat out of the compartment with all my other stuff. However a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 pack just came up for sale used very lightly, the guys asking $400 for it. It looks nice, is a Mystery Ranch so its quality BUT doesnt have the tilt away feature for meat hauling. How important is that? should I just suck it up and make due with putting meat in the main compartment?, for $400 I can get a nice pack or spend twice that and get a new Stone Glacier or something with the tip out.

I have a Stone Glacier and Kifaru, I can get my meat sucked up to the frame okay with the Kifaru, but much better with the Stone Glacier. with either pack, I still put the meatbag inside a heavy duty trash compactor bag so I don't get blood all over everything (the Stone Glacier meat bag is intended to leak, and boy does it leak blood. Both style packs have their advantages and disadvantages. Both work well.

kata2012

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a MR beartooth in the classifieds a little while back for about 400. I believe it does have the ability to load meat in between the frame and bag. Not sure if it is still available, but if it is, check it out.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ive been really wanting a good pack for backcountry hunting. I was sort of saving up $$ for a pack that has a tilt away main compartment so I could pack meat or hide against the pack frame and then cinch main compartment back against it to keep the weight against my body for hikes out. Im not hell bent on that option but I think its handy to keep meat out of the compartment with all my other stuff. However a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500 pack just came up for sale used very lightly, the guys asking $400 for it. It looks nice, is a Mystery Ranch so its quality BUT doesnt have the tilt away feature for meat hauling. How important is that? should I just suck it up and make due with putting meat in the main compartment?, for $400 I can get a nice pack or spend twice that and get a new Stone Glacier or something with the tip out.
You can get a brand new MR pack for less than $400. Camofire runs them on sale all the time. I would keep my eyes open for the next time they have them on sale. Actually, several places run specials on them quite frequently.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
GoHUNT has the pintler and a few other MR packs on sale right now for right around $400.

Yeah I'd pass on that Mystery ranch. I've bought several new for that price and they were the newer frames. You can get away with a smaller bag with a meat shelf for sure so it's a great feature. Watch the classifieds for pack deals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I passed on it, I think I really want the newer frame with tilt away main bag option for meat transport etc

I passed on it, I think I really want the newer frame with tilt away main bag option for meat transport etc
smart, I think you can be more picky with that budget. as far as how important a meat shelf is? totally personal preference... I will not buy a pack that doesn't have a meat shelf, that's my preference, but there are lots of folks who put meat in their bag regardless, if it has a meat shelf or not... they prefer meat in the bag.

obviously there is no wrong answer there, I don't want to deal with the mess of putting meat in my bag with everything else, it's a big enough mess with a shelf.

if you are leaning towards Mystery Ranch, you should be able to get a modern pack in great condition for that... if not new.

if you find an EXO with the K1 frame, or K2, it's possible to be in that 400 dollar range, and they are both nice packs.

you can get a brand new Seek Outside for around 500 bucks, I just ordered one, and with some accessories I think it was just shy of 600, but they give you a good bang for your buck.

keep shopping, don't get in a hurry, and find the right pack for you... packs are an investment, do it right. if you don't get the right pack now, you'll be paying upgrade fees in the near future 😉

be patient and don't compromise

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I would say be patient and really try to find a used Exo, Seek, SG or Kifaru. Mystery Ranch if you are so inclined.

You'd be surprised what you can find on here or the facebook related groups. Lots of people that have disposable income will try out new packs and sell old ones within a year or two for good deals. Or day pack guys that want to backcountry hunt will buy a pack and then it just sits for a couple years and they decide to sell it.