Need reco for the best PNW, BC, SE AK early season rain jacket that can handle....

pdxflung

FNG
Need real life experience recommendations for rain gear for archery in the coastal reagions of PNW, (BC and SE AK similar I would imagine). When it is 90 in the valley yet you are soaked in 20 min in the brush in the mountains. Also when it decides to rain all am then warm back up.

This is not for stand hunting, but active bushwacking off trail 90% of the time.

It needs to handle rain as well.

Real world success (and failure!) stories would be most appreciated. I have not been able to find a jacket that works.

Following. Interested to see what people say. In my opinion you are looking for a unicorn. As a resident of the PNW I have yet to find something that is waterproof enough to stand days of brush busting yet breathable enough to keep from getting soaked from within. I have come to the conclusion that I will never be absolutely dry . I concentrate on being comfortable and mitigating the moisture. I concentrate on base layers that dry fast, and use rain gear mostly for temperature control. I typically will only have rain pants on when in wet brush, mainly to keep my feet dry. And put on the jacket when I start to cool off or if a squall comes through.

OP
P

pdxflung

FNG
Following. Interested to see what people say. In my opinion you are looking for a unicorn. As a resident of the PNW I have yet to find something that is waterproof enough to stand days of brush busting yet breathable enough to keep from getting soaked from within. I have come to the conclusion that I will never be absolutely dry . I concentrate on being comfortable and mitigating the moisture. I concentrate on base layers that dry fast, and use rain gear mostly for temperature control. I typically will only have rain pants on when in wet brush, mainly to keep my feet dry. And put on the jacket when I start to cool off or if a squall comes through.

By default, I also resolved to just be wet most of the time and hope to dry out eventually. I just haven't found that one piece of gear to use in the jacket space for this situation. I have avoided rain pants this far (sitka mtn pants instead) as I get too hot marching around but after my Crispi Valdres became water buckets this year, I might have to reconsider. (a whole new thread :()

Venom One

WKR
I have a set of Kuiu Chugach that I used last year as packable rain gear. So far, it's been good. When it's raining, but expected to clear up and be hot, I wear the bottoms with just boxers so I can vent using the side zips once it stops raining. On top I wear a light tee shirt, with the jacket over. Use the pit zips as needed and strip the jacket when the rain stops.

I tried the Kryptek Takur jacket which gets rave reviews, but the fitment was terrible for me. Maybe I got the Popeye special. Sleeves were way too long and flappy. Zippers were meh. Hood design was AWESOME, but not enough to overcome the sleeves/zippers even with a 25% discount. Sent it back.

The "Super Goretex" (or whatever it's called) gets good reviews - Arcteryx uses it. Never tried it.

Maybe @roosiebull can chime in.

Bedrock

FNG
Finally some honest statements about rain gear. I’ve always thought people who think micro porous rain gear is waterproof never walked through wet brush, etc. I’ve had a few Sitka products that were fairly water resistant but weren’t the least bit durable so I tried first lite Seak rain gear. It’s way more durable but leaks like a sieve. I’ve been told Kuiu is the most water resistant of any brand And was thinking about trying it. if anyone has compared Kuiu to other brands I’d be interested in their opinion.

dromero

FNG
Thin(cheap) rain jackets with multiple wool lightweight long sleeve layers. Sweat or rain-through, you're gonna be wet, might as well be wet and warm!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Merano shirt, pants like the OR Voodoo and embrace the suck is my strategy. Wool long underwear if cool weather. If windy, a light gortex jacket.

My hunting buddy has been happy with his Sitka rain gear.

Doesn't exist.

I wouldn't wear wool in that environment on a backpack hunt. I would go 100% synthetic, you're gonna get wet but on those rare opportunities that you can dry out a bit, you want stuff that will dry as fast as possible. Wool doesn't dry fast compared to polyester or nylon.

If you can find a set of these for cheap, it may be worth a shot. I’ve been extremely impressed and got the pants and jacket 3-4 years ago. These are really lightweight, have pit zips, and are waterproof, not water resistant. I’ve worn them clearing fire roads in east TN when it has been hot and humid. I wear them fishing and duck hunting on the FL gulf. Every squirrel finds a nut sometimes, and browning found one with these.

Edit: I bought the set for around $150 total back then.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Doesn't exist.

I wouldn't wear wool in that environment on a backpack hunt. I would go 100% synthetic, you're gonna get wet but on those rare opportunities that you can dry out a bit, you want stuff that will dry as fast as possible. Wool doesn't dry fast compared to polyester or nylon.
True, but drying out does not really happen in places like Ketchikan. Wool will be heavier when wet as well, but if I have to be wet in 40 to 50 degree F weather I will take wool over synthetics every time. If it will be above 70 F synthetics would be my choice.

There is an element of preference to the choice, how do you best like your misery. I find drying out, only to get wet and cold again in 30 minutes worse than staying wet.

I also use down in SE AK, so my experience cuts against common advice and how most people like to manage their gear.

Bedrock

FNG
After asking people who have used the 3 brands (Sitka, Kuiu, first lite), the consensus is that Kuiu is the most water resistant but more than half thought that was offset by the fact that they don’t have loops for a real belt or, more importantly, any provision for suspenders. I’d agree with that. Also owners complained about the external hem adjusters on the jackets. They tend to get caught on brush and the others have them inside the pockets

OP
P

pdxflung

FNG
True, but drying out does not really happen in places like Ketchikan. Wool will be heavier when wet as well, but if I have to be wet in 40 to 50 degree F weather I will take wool over synthetics every time. If it will be above 70 F synthetics would be my choice.

There is an element of preference to the choice, how do you best like your misery. I find drying out, only to get wet and cold again in 30 minutes worse than staying wet.

I also use down in SE AK, so my experience cuts against common advice and how most people like to manage their gear.

I tend to like my synthetics over the merinos for the same reason. They tend to be more comfortable when wet and dry faster. I just wear two when it gets colder!

schmalzy

WKR
Kuiu rain gear 25% off right now if that helps. Save 150-175 bucks on a kutana set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk