Need recommendations for a durable, lightweight and flexible gtx shoe/boot

I mountain run a ton and typically use very lightweight unsupportive shoes. So my feet and ankles are really strong and I'd like to keep them that way. A lot of boots are just too stiff and heavy for my enjoyment.

I've got a pair of scarpa r evolution plus gtx boots, which I like, but they're of course heavy and stiff and hot. I like them for late season stuff where I sit in the cold, but not for early season mountain humping.

Last year, I hunted early season with a pair of lightweight Salomon running shoes which was very nice, but I destroyed them really quickly and they just got soaked too often from the wet area I hunted.

I'm looking for either some boots or shoes that are gtx, durable, lightweight, minimal support, and possibly higher on the ankle than a runner so I get some added water protection.

Suggestions?

I love my Altra trail running shoes, maybe try the Lone Peak 4. It has an eVent upper and is supposed to offer protection from the elements.

OP
H

Slalomnorth

Lil-Rokslider
Look up Andrew skurka’s recommendations of shoes, the dude has done some impressive things. Whatever he says is gospel in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Bore

FNG
I love my Salomon GTX 4 hikers. Used them in New Mexico last year with zero problems.

KyleR1985

WKR
I don’t think you’ll get waterproof, lightweight, and durable in the same package.

but if you’re willing to sacrifice any one of the three, you’re golden.

sacrificing durable(it’s all relative I guess), I use vasque inhaler gtx. They’re light, And waterproof until you stretch and tear gtx from a couple hundred miles of rough use. I still wear them because they’re comfy, and when I’m wearing them I don’t care if my feet end up wet, and the odds are low of it happening.

I have two pair, and the pair in better shape I only wear if high odds of getting wet.

I find myself mostly going with the more supportive, more robust option these days, but it sacrifices the heavy/supportive you’re trying to avoid.

Show me a boot that is waterproof and stays that way for more than a few hundred rough miles, and weighs less than a pound, and I’m in!

OP
H
Innov8 Roclite! Next step up for me is the Lowa Renegade.

Inov8! I used to have a pair of their x talon running shoes. They were like soccer cleats!! But I loved them. Are you referring to the roclite g345 gtx?

OP
H
I don’t think you’ll get waterproof, lightweight, and durable in the same package.

but if you’re willing to sacrifice any one of the three, you’re golden.

sacrificing durable(it’s all relative I guess), I use vasque inhaler gtx. They’re light, And waterproof until you stretch and tear gtx from a couple hundred miles of rough use. I still wear them because they’re comfy, and when I’m wearing them I don’t care if my feet end up wet, and the odds are low of it happening.

I have two pair, and the pair in better shape I only wear if high odds of getting wet.

I find myself mostly going with the more supportive, more robust option these days, but it sacrifices the heavy/supportive you’re trying to avoid.

Show me a boot that is waterproof and stays that way for more than a few hundred rough miles, and weighs less than a pound, and I’m in!

Ha of course I know that combination doesn't truly exist. I was hoping there was a gold standard people look to that does each of those three things the best.

If I were to sacrifice one part, it would be weight. So... waterproof, flexible/no support, and most durable.

OP
H
Yes that’s it

What do you like/dislike about them? I was considering getting a pair last year but didn't because I couldn't find a nearby store where I could try them on. The one thing I didn't like about my inov8s is that the midsoles seemed very hard. Even though I don't want support, I like a little bit of cushion

NDGuy

WKR
I really like the Salomon Quest Line.

Not waterproof but very comfortable and mine have been durable!

SDHNTR

WKR
What do you like/dislike about them? I was considering getting a pair last year but didn't because I couldn't find a nearby store where I could try them on. The one thing I didn't like about my inov8s is that the midsoles seemed very hard. Even though I don't want support, I like a little bit of cushion
I don’t find the midsole hard. In fact, one of the things I like about them is the ground feel. That and how lightweight they are.

jmav58

WKR
Salewa wildfire GTX mid. It's got the built in gaiter and that shoe cinch's up so tight to your foot, it's incredible.

10ringer

WKR
Solomon 4d 3 GTX has served me well in the past. I must have found a unicorn pair because they were waterproof for about a year. Its as light of a boot as your going to get that provides adequate protection to your feet. They also have decent traction. Have also owned Solomon x-ultra and would not use those in the mountains if you plan to leave the main trail. Been running crispi summits and Colorados for the past year and wont be switching anytime soon, absolutely love these boots

Roughout

FNG
Salewa wildfire GTX mid. It's got the built in gaiter and that shoe cinch's up so tight to your foot, it's incredible.

Can you elaborate on sizing fit? Sorry to hijack,PM if necessary. I wear a 13.5” US, so usually size 14

jmav58

WKR
Can you elaborate on sizing fit? Sorry to hijack,PM if necessary. I wear a 13.5” US, so usually size 14

I wear an 11W in tennis shoes and a 10.5W in boots like Crispi, Schnees and others. With these salewas I went with an 11D and they fit great. A little snug since my foot is like a cinder block but I really like them.