Need Recommendations for Scope for AR-15. Varmint shooting Mid-Range no longer than 400

I’m trying to decide on a scope that I can use for my AR-15.
I need a 30MM tube. I want a variable power for mid range shooting for 3-400 yards at very max.
I’m not wanting to break the bank. $500 at most.
Any thoughts or strong recommendations and why? Everything I look at is discontinued or a 1” tube. All my mounts and accessories are 30mm. Too expensive to change now.

Northpark

WKR
Vortex strike eagle 1-8x. I use a 1-6x and have no issues at the range you’re talking about. I also like the option of 1x for close in work for dogs that really commit to the call.

OP
Lone Coyote
Dang, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Need the 30mm. Had all my rings cerekoted and my light attachments. I’ll seriously think about it.

For $25 more the SWFA 3-15 on sale right now for the 4th is a no brainer. Plenty of magnification, decent reticle, good glass, great tracking, and Japanese build quality.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I've been really happy with my Trijicon Huron 3-12. Bought it as a placeholder until I decide "what I really want" for my AR15 rat gun/plinker. Paid $440 at Sportsmans. So far, tracking is spot on, glass isn't terrible at 12x. It's an MOA scope, has BDC in MOA that's not too busy. My only complaint is that the magnification ring doesn't have a knob on it but I will live. We'll see how I do with gloves on this winter. Frankly, I'm not in as much of a rush anymore to get some alpha glass for this configuration.

My gun is a 14.5 inch SBR, Noveske mid length Afghan barrel, YHM ti suppressor. So far the longest I've had it out to is 563 yards at my in-laws orchard shooting gray diggers with Hornady 75 grain match.

Would buy again.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
I’d buy any 1-6 or 1-8 Japanese manufactured scope. If you watch ebay or the classifieds knowing what brands to look for a person can pick up an amazing lesser known lpvo.

I was shooting prairie dogs a few weeks ago with a 14.5” 223 barrel at 8x with no problems.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I’d buy any 1-6 or 1-8 Japanese manufactured scope. If you watch ebay or the classifieds knowing what brands to look for a person can pick up an amazing lesser known lpvo.

I was shooting prairie dogs a few weeks ago with a 14.5” 223 barrel at 8x with no problems.

What lesser brands are you referring too? For what it is, I’ve been pleased with my vortex strike eagle 1-8x24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider

I’ve used this web site a few times to help me find the best scope for my purposes. Anything made in Japan seems to be high quality, durable and good clarity for the $. If msrp shows $750 I’ve generally been able to find them used in that $400 realm. I don’t worry about function of used as most of the companies warranty really well in the current optics market.

I don’t like listing specific brands because I don’t get paid to market for them lol. Also, I don’t need the competition the next time I try to buy a used scope 😂

Last edited:

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, is it the general concession that anything coming out of Japan by LOW is a quality product regardless of the brand name?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, is it the general concession that anything coming out of Japan by LOW is a quality product regardless of the brand name?

In my experience… yes.

I have 5 scopes made at the LOW factory and one at Japan Optics. The JO one has less features but optically it’s a great scope.

Fairly anecdotal with a limited test group size, but I’ve been more disappointed on some better marketed brand scopes, for more $.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
So the follow up question would be, how do you know which lines aside from the ones in the link are coming out of LOW?

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
So the follow up question would be, how do you know which lines aside from the ones in the link are coming out of LOW?

When I find something on eBay or classifieds with features I like, I research the model # listed in the photos. Same photo will generally show where it’s made making it all easier.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Form, how would you determine which lines coming out of LOW are quality?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you Form, how would you determine which lines coming out of LOW are quality?

You have to test them. So far-

NF NX8 and ATACR
SWFA 1-6x HD
Trijicon Accupoint/Credo 1-8x FFP

Have proven to be generally reliable and durable for tens of thousands of rounds.