Need Scope Advice

Bwhunt

FNG
Hey all,
First timer here. I need your help choosing the right scope. I'm a 55 yr old, seasoned IL shotgun (deer hunter) w very limited scope knowledge who finds myself in NC wanting to rifle hunt deer mainly, and some coyote. My shots will mostly be inside 200 yd but will need to nail a 300-400 yd'er when the bid daddy presents. I am purchasing a Bergara B14 6.5 creedmoor, wood stock. I've read and read and watch video after video and don't have an answer. I know the technology has greatly improved over the last many years but not sure what I'll need. I'm thinking Leuopold vx5hd but ??. Thanks!

TxxAgg

WKR
Similar set up at similar ranges. I have 3 guns set up with a Meopta Meopro 3-9x40 BDC reticle.
The app is easy to use and makes shots from 0-500yds pretty simple. Just need to verify your inputs. In my experience, it is clearer and more durable than Leupold's VX-3i line. Around $375-$400

gelton

WKR
IMO you will want to think long and hard about anything you could possibly want in a rifle scope before laying down the $$ for any of them. If you don't plan on dialing to longer distances, ever, then a Leupold VX5 might be the ticket. If it is always going to be on a 6.5 Creemore then a Leupold vx5 might be the ticket.

But if there is any chance of dialing for longer distance shots or it going on a magnum rifle, or anything with heavy recoil then you will probably want to move to an SWFA (on the lower end of the budget scale) or a Nighforce. Both of them track much better than a sub-Mark 5 Leupold, handle heavy recoil better and return to zero better.

Vossman5

FNG
It really depends on what you want out of the scope, illuminated, first or second plane reticle, are you in there woods where you need the lower magnification, nikon getting out of scopes allows some really nice deals out there

No expert here but the Leuopold vx5hd is a terrific scope for the setup and hunting conditions you've described.

Ohearchai

FNG
How much do you want to spend, 3.5-10x40 or 50, is nice for the low end, and enough magnification for 400 yards. I am not a huge fan of most front focal plane reticles in 3.5-4 mag range as there are damn difficult to see unless illuminated and I'm in you age catergory. On a recent 6.5 prc hunting build I mounted a vx3i 4.5-14x40 with side parralax, seems fine for the job intended, 500 and in. Now I will prefext this by saying I have been running a ffp Hensoldt on my comp rifle for over a decade, but for most of my huntkng needs I have found that a good sfp scope will suffice