Need scope and caliber help 270 wsm

Hello all,
I’ve been an archery hunter most my life so have limited knowledge of long range hunting. I’ve done a handful of elk hunts rifle and shot 350 yards or less when In field. Drew good Colorado rifle tags this year so I am seeking info for if I should upgrade my tikka t3x 270wsm that’s mounted with swaro z3 4-12x50 brh holdover reticle. I’m shooting 145 grain precision hunter bullets and it shoots great out to 350 yards, I can hit steel much further obviously but I hate the holdover second focal plane style reticle. Im sure with practice I could get better with it, it’s just annoying to have to adjust power of scope then look at all the different drop lines to figure out which line in scope to us and I’m wondering how accurate that even is? I’m curious if I should upgrade the scope or not since it’s only a 270 wsm and not sure how far it is ethical to shoot an elk with or if I need to just upgrade gun and scope and get it over with. I have 350 rounds of ammo for the gun and the scope is really clear so I hate to change stuff but if it could make or break a 500 yard shot on an elk it would be worth it. I have a buddy that has a maven rs.3 long range scope he said he’d sale pretty cheap if I just wanted to put a scope on the gun but it still puts me 1k on scope upgrade, any better options? Thanks in advance guys.

Overdrive

WKR
I personally like turret style scope for long range, I've used Huskamaw the last 12 years and it suits me the best. If you understand the environmental changes while shooting I can make my adjustments with the turret and still hold right on and be confident.
I don't care for the BDC style scopes they are a manufactured one fits all and to many things to consider that don't work under all conditions.
I believe in the buy once cry once theory, a good solid scope with clarity and good magnification is very important for long range hunting/shooting, you're going NG to thank yourself later with spending $1k plus on a good scope now then wasting time and money to find a mediocre scope.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I'd do a FFP scope with turrets if you are doing 500yds (or more).

Search the used market for Nightforce, SWFA and Bushnell. In fact, I think some of the new Bushnell are under 1K. To clarify I mean the tactical Bushnell, the good stuff.

I think the 270WSM will be fine. Of that 350 rounds, I'd use 330 to practice at ranges you want to shoot. Trigger time and reading the wind are the most important skills you can hone with your new scope.

After all that, you'll bump into an elk at 150 yards and be done...

Marble

WKR
I prefer second focal plane and turrets in a 4x14 range scope with the biggest bell I can get.

I can shoot out to 700 comfortably with a factory gun. Everyone I hunt with can too.

I have a few other scopes that I've shot enough that i do not have turrets, but there are ways to mitigate that and I've been successful.

My preference for anything hunting is to make it as simple as possible. It should be second nature, easy, with as little moving parts as possible. Keep it simple. All I have to do is flip up my scope cover, look at the dope chart and dial. That simple.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk