Need solo/2 person shelter feeback

vtbow

FNG
Ok, everyone, I'm been lurking here for a while. Have a few really nice setups, but am trying to go "mimimal", but larger...heres what I mean.

My current setup options are:
-SO BT-2 with dual screen doors, and stove jack
- Luxe Rocket XL with stove jack
-Original Kifaru/Mountainsmith tepee with home build collapsible(wi-fi copy) stove
-Granite gear white lightnit 10x10 tarp

I've got other heavier tents as well, but these are the ones I'm kind of comparing.

I'm trying to come up with a perfect year round solo system I can put my kifaru para stove in for early season canoe trips in the North east where it might be 20 at night, but 40s -50's duirng the day. I love my mountainsmith tepee, but its just overkill for just me, and there isnt always a large enough space to set it up. The SO BT2, is nice, but feels a bit restrictive for someone right around 6'4". The luxe rocket seems really nice and I am yet to camp in it, but the stove jack placment just seems a little close to the bedding area--so its really tight feeling. Obviously the tarp is my go light and fast option with just a bug head net and baseball hat, it also seems to come on most trips as a group/cooking shelter setup....

So I guess my questions are: Has anyone compared the SO BT-2 and the Luxe Rocket XL to something like a Kifaru Paratarp with annex, or supertarp with annex? I feel like I want to get away from the tepee shape for some reason as it will give me more length, without more weight.

Any thoughts or input? Thanks! At this point I'm thinig of selling the BT2 and trying to work with the Rocket XL...but would love some feedback on the kifaru options.

Superdoo

WKR
Being a taller guy, I'd look at the SO Silex or Durston mids. SO should be releasing the Guardian this year or next year and that will probably be perfect for us taller guys who want space at a minimal footprint.
I tried an LBO with vestibule and had a similar experience as you did with the BT-2. I have a Silex now and I like it a lot more.
I'm 6'2" so I run a 6'6" bag and the Silex provides enough room to keep from being claustrophobic, but small enough to find a flat spot.
The main down side to the Silex is maneuvering around the pole as I'm getting in and out. I'll probably remedy that with a pair of poles in the future.

I was nervous about going floorless, but being able to pee without leaving the tent is absolutely AMAZING!!!!

OP
V

vtbow

FNG
Being a taller guy, I'd look at the SO Silex or Durston mids. SO should be releasing the Guardian this year or next year and that will probably be perfect for us taller guys who want space at a minimal footprint.
I tried an LBO with vestibule and had a similar experience as you did with the BT-2. I have a Silex now and I like it a lot more.
I'm 6'2" so I run a 6'6" bag and the Silex provides enough room to keep from being claustrophobic, but small enough to find a flat spot.
The main down side to the Silex is maneuvering around the pole as I'm getting in and out. I'll probably remedy that with a pair of poles in the future.

I was nervous about going floorless, but being able to pee without leaving the tent is absolutely AMAZING!!!!
Thanks, appreciate the input. Yes, florless shelters are GREAT. being able to just cook and not worry about anything is great too...or even just not worrying about taking boots off outside and leaving in the vestibule...

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Tentipi's Olivin 2 Light might be an option worthy of your consideration. It's arguably the best true 4-season option out there when used with it's inner-tent. The inner-tent can be removed when the most UL setup is preferred.

The Olivin 2 is also available in a cotton/poly canvas version which is obviously heavier but it's a breathable canvas tent which virtually eliminates condensation issues.

OP
V

vtbow

FNG
Tentipi's Olivin 2 Light might be an option worthy of your consideration. It's arguably the best true 4-season option out there when used with it's inner-tent. The inner-tent can be removed when the most UL setup is preferred.

The Olivin 2 is also available in a cotton/poly canvas version which is obviously heavier but it's a breathable canvas tent which virtually eliminates condensation issues.

Thanks, those are definitely interesting.

Ok, everyone, I'm been lurking here for a while. Have a few really nice setups, but am trying to go "mimimal", but larger...heres what I mean.

My current setup options are:
-SO BT-2 with dual screen doors, and stove jack
- Luxe Rocket XL with stove jack
-Original Kifaru/Mountainsmith tepee with home build collapsible(wi-fi copy) stove
-Granite gear white lightnit 10x10 tarp

I've got other heavier tents as well, but these are the ones I'm kind of comparing.

I'm trying to come up with a perfect year round solo system I can put my kifaru para stove in for early season canoe trips in the North east where it might be 20 at night, but 40s -50's duirng the day. I love my mountainsmith tepee, but its just overkill for just me, and there isnt always a large enough space to set it up. The SO BT2, is nice, but feels a bit restrictive for someone right around 6'4". The luxe rocket seems really nice and I am yet to camp in it, but the stove jack placment just seems a little close to the bedding area--so its really tight feeling. Obviously the tarp is my go light and fast option with just a bug head net and baseball hat, it also seems to come on most trips as a group/cooking shelter setup....

So I guess my questions are: Has anyone compared the SO BT-2 and the Luxe Rocket XL to something like a Kifaru Paratarp with annex, or supertarp with annex? I feel like I want to get away from the tepee shape for some reason as it will give me more length, without more weight.

Any thoughts or input? Thanks! At this point I'm thinig of selling the BT2 and trying to work with the Rocket XL...but would love some feedback on the kifaru options.
I’d say go with the Kifaru Supertarp with the annex because of your height. I’ve been eyeing the SO Silex, but I’m not sure what the dimensions are for the sleeping space.

DeePow

FNG
I’ve been doing pretty significant research and it’s hard to find the perfect shelter for everything. I wish it were easier to see tents in person, but it isn’t practical for me living in ruralish ID.

I picked up a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo last summer. It’s exceptionally light but flawed with size and condensation wasn’t worth it for me.

I am currently leaning towards the Argali Rincon. With the Brad referencing Rumors of a half nest the condensation would be dealt with or it could be carried merely as a tipi