Need some help choosing my next rifle

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone
I'm looking for some help choosing my next bolt action rifle. I plan on buying this rifle to keep for a long time, maybe even pass it down to my infant son when the time comes but I'm trying to narrow it down within a specific criteria. I want it sub-MOA, weight 7 pounds max, trigger that's adjustable to at least 3.5 pounds and a price no more than $1500. I've looked at a few and I'm close to making a decision but I wanted to post the question on here just in case someone had another option I haven't looked at yet. Thanks in advance!

dan

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
What sort of hunting are you planning on doing with it? Knowing intended game, how you plan to hunt and how far out you wish to shoot will get you better answers.

OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
What rifles are already on your short list?

Based on those factors I'm looking at the Christensen Mesa, Hell's Canyon X-Bolt Speed and Bargara B14 but I'm looking for is any other options I may not have looked into yet. I probably have a few months before I actually buy it so I have a little time to research and decide.

As far as what I hunt and how far I plan to shoot, the overwhelming majority of what I hunt with a rifle is Coues deer and mule deer in high desert Arizona. My eventual goal for an accurate shot on an animal is 500 yards but I also want to target practice at longer distances to improve my shooting as time goes by. Thanks guys.

dan

notchfir3

Lil-Rokslider
How about a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .308? Guarenteed sub MOA. $476.80 plus $7.99 shipping. Money left over for a scope and mounts.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Based on those factors I'm looking at the Christensen Mesa, Hell's Canyon X-Bolt Speed and Bargara B14 but I'm looking for is any other options I may not have looked into yet. I probably have a few months before I actually buy it so I have a little time to research and decide.

As far as what I hunt and how far I plan to shoot, the overwhelming majority of what I hunt with a rifle is Coues deer and mule deer in high desert Arizona. My eventual goal for an accurate shot on an animal is 500 yards but I also want to target practice at longer distances to improve my shooting as time goes by. Thanks guys.

dan

I think a Mesa or HC X-Bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor or 7mm-08 sound like great ideas. I'd also take a look at a Tikka T3x Superlite.

Bergara makes nice guns, but they're on the heavy side of things to be sure.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
How about a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 in .308? Guarenteed sub MOA. $476.80 plus $7.99 shipping. Money left over for a scope and mounts.

Not sure which rifle in Vanguard Series you are referring to but Vanguard Select is 7.5 lbs. really like Weatherguard for the price and features but on the heavy side for OPs desired specs.

NoWiser

WKR
I'd personally be eyeing up a Sako Finnlight if I was in your shoes. I've always wanted one but have never been able to justify one.

Muttly

WKR
True enough..

Been fooling around with a Tikka T3x off and on the last year. Pretty easy to get one shooting well.
The ability to switch grips, makes it a little easier to find out what you like, open, vertical, 15-20 bucks..
And no shortage of aftermarket goodies, if you want to do some tinkering.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Tikka? Really no need for an aftermarket trigger. Put it in an aftermarket stock of your choice.

Last edited:
OP
D

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input, guys. You brought up a few options I wasn't aware of, which was the whole point of this post.
I made a lunchtime trip to the gun store today and was able to put my hands on the X Bolt, and Bargera B 14 and a Tikka T3X. I've handled the Mesa a few times so I already had that to compare it to. The Bargera just didn't feel comfortable and it's the heavier of the options even though the trigger was excellent. The Tikka is still an option but all things considered it's a very close call between the HC Speed and the Mesa right now. They're both excellent rifles so it will probably come down to a personal preference of a feature or two when the time comes. The weight, trigger, accuracy, price and durability are all where I want them. Good problem to have.

Can anyone recommend a scope? Just kidding. I'm not opening that door. Thanks again.

dan

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought an hells canyon speed in 30/06. first 3 shots were in a .66 group. The stock is the only weak point in my opinion. Debated between the Bergara hunter and mountain and the new highlander for a couple months.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
These two are some of the lightest rifles we've done at right around 6 lbs. The top rifle is a Pierce titanium receiver, Proof carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in .300 WM and Manners MCS-T Elite Hunter. The bottom is a Tikka T3 with Proof research carbon fiber wrapped barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and Kiwi Composite carbon fiber stock.