Need some help with a winter fishing trip where it’s warm.

EastMT

WKR
A buddy and I are planning a fishing trip in a tropical area mid winter, early spring would be ideal. We have been looking at the Keys, Bahamas, open to suggestions. I’ve fished south Texas, New Orleans, so looking for somewhere new.

Ideally away from the crowds not touristy, wade fishing, fly or spinner fishing. Not looking for a $5000 a week lodge, or where guides/boat are needed. Just a winter get away for some sunshine, budget minded preferred.

Willing to take a guided trip or 2, just don’t want to do all guided. Thanks

Sherman

WKR
Not really late winter, or tropical, but I lived in NorCal before I moved to Colorado and the Salmon run in the spring is some fun river fishing.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I heard it is relatively easy to fish the canals in Florida for the likes of Peacock bass; no specific areas but the internet probably has something. Can pick a day or two with a guide and do some night tarpon fishing in the moorage basins. I understand that is an experience [fishing to the back decks of multi-million doallar yachts].
Running Baja and hiring out local pangas for transport to and from fishing spots is possible and apparenlty cost effective.

sram9102

WKR
I did a ton of wade fishing in Los Barilles as a kid on a trip. Did pretty well just throwing plastics from the beach. Wish I would have looked for some live bait. Few local places to go out on a charter if you want to chase marlin, sailfish, and tuna. This was 15 years ago so things may have changed but it was a blast as a 16 year old kid.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
If u go down to a non-touristy area of Mexico or Costa Rica you can charter a panga from the local beach for a half day for $300-$400. Wont be cushy, but you will have a real chance to catch everything from Mahi to Marlin for a fraction of what it would cost in the US.

You can find a Vrbo for $100/night

Fordguy

WKR
I've occasionally done well from the pier in Pensacola in the winter, red drum, black drum, bonito, and blues were usual catches, might have been a few pompano too. Late winter you might get in on the sheepshead bite too. There are several piers near Pensacola (within an hour) if you want more variety. Surf fishing can be fun in december, I've caught a lot of whiting (great for fish tacos) from the beach in the area. If you hire a guide and stay mobil I would expect more consistent success, but it's off season and affordable in winter.