need some help with Clothing..got $1000 to spend

Luked

WKR
its time for me to buy some new camo and wanting to get something to use out west as well. this will be my first buy of this type of clothing and I am wanting to go with Sitka gear.
the hunt out west im looking to do is early season archery in CO for Elk.
the items I am considering are
Core Lightweight Crew LS
Core Heavyweight Bottom
Ascent Pant
Kelvin Active Jacket
Traverse Zip T

that is about all I have figured out.
would like to get some opinions on how this is or if I should change it. or what other items I would need in your guys opinions that have more experience than me with this type of clothing.
I got about $1000 to spend right now and want to buy right the first time due to the cost of this gear.
any help would be a great help

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I am not sure about Sitka gear peices but generally speaking I would have the following in my kit
Long sleeve light weight top
Mid weight long sleeve top
Puffy jacket
Light weight pant
Rain jacket
Gaiters

Long underwear bottoms are optional I never wore mine in the field but I used them for sleeping in.

Tops I prefer merino wool vs synthetics.

This system allows your to layer as needed and provides plenty of warmth for September in Colorado...I ran this exact setup last year.

Matt

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
this will be my first buy of this type of clothing.
the hunt out west im looking to do is early season archery in CO for Elk.

I'll just say, that since this is your first buy for this type of clothing......don't get hung up on "keeping up with the Jones'es". You don't need expensive specialty clothes for early archery elk. I would definitely have a lightweight merino base top and bottoms, but beyond that you can get by with just about any type of synthetic clothing over them. Add in some cheap fleece and maybe a rain jacket and you're good to go.

I haven't spent $1000 over the last 20 years on hunting clothes, and that includes boots. I like hunting so much, I do it year round.......hunting for deals on gear that I like and actually works.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I'll just say, that since this is your first buy for this type of clothing......don't get hung up on "keeping up with the Jones'es". You don't need expensive specialty clothes for early archery elk. I would definitely have a lightweight merino base top and bottoms, but beyond that you can get by with just about any type of synthetic clothing over them.

don't get me wrong I agree with you. but at the same time. this gear will also be used here at home in Missouri as well to hunt in also for Deer and Turkey Seasons for me.
I haven't really bought anything camo wise in years and mine is really starting to get pretty worn and torn up bad and I just want to upgrade to some good gear

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Looks good to me. I would ditch the core base layers thought and stick with Merino. I can see the Merino working out better for you back home in MO as well. I would run a merino top and bottom base layer, Traverse mid layer and Kelvin active jacket. Ascent pants might be too light for CO and MO, might want to go the next weight pants up from them. My 2 cents. Good luck!

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
thanks for the info.
was actually just thinking of going with First Lites Merino base layers

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Merino Base top Long Sleeve Sitka or Firstlite
Merino Bottoms
Sitka Timberline or Mountain Pants
Downpour Jacket (rain Jacket and wind blocker)
Kelvin or down Hoody (cold weather insulator)
Traverse Hoody(good to wear when you don't need a full coat or added insulation in frigid weather)
Gloves (traverse and a soft-shell Glove) Weather resistant wind blocking Gloves
Blavanca
Jetstream hat Merino Hat
Ball Cap

This should cover you for about 99% of all weather conditions. from 15 degrees all the way to 80 degrees

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Merino Base top Long Sleeve Sitka or Firstlite
Merino Bottoms
Sitka Timberline or Mountain Pants
Downpour Jacket (rain Jacket and wind blocker)
Kelvin or down Hoody (cold weather insulator)
Traverse Hoody(good to wear when you don't need a full coat or added insulation in frigid weather)
Gloves (traverse and a soft-shell Glove) Weather resistant wind blocking Gloves
Blavanca
Jetstream hat Merino Hat
Ball Cap

This should cover you for about 99% of all weather conditions. from 15 degrees all the way to 80 degrees

great info bud thank you very much I do really appreciate that detail

I hunt Western/ Eastern WA for elk. Temp goes from mid 40's morning to about 80-90 during the day. Here is what I wear during the Sept. Hunt
-Merino LS (FL)
-Merino boxer briefs (FL)
-Merino long underwear (Minus 33)
-Lightweight pant (Kuiu Attack)
-Midweight merino (Minus 33) for morning glassing
-Soft Shell Jacket (Kuiu Guide)
-Ball cap or beanie depending on temp
-Packable rain jacket (Cabelas gore tex)
-Those wool fingerless gloves w/ mitten pocket for morning glassing

I also have a bunch of layers that I use when it's cold because the soft shell doesn't insulate well (but it takes snags and thorns like a champ). I will be replacing all that layering w/ a puffy coat of some sort this year to reduce my overall pack weight.

Another thing to consider is odor. Merino has zero bad odor for me after 6-7 days hunting where poly smells like death after one day; I am a smelly dude so I would know. In my experience the merino I use dries exceptionally quickly and breathes very well. I usually wear my long underwear all day unless it gets ridiculously hot simply because I find it's not too stifling. Just my $.02

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
The old ascent pants or the new for 2017 version? The newer version looks to extremely light and I'd definitely pair it with some longjohns. If the older version maybe a light base depending on how easily you chill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
Black Ovis or Core4 merino 190 top, $30
you don't need merino btms
the Traverse top is a good heavy weight choice
The Ascents are good but you can do just as well with Union Bay travel pants from costco, $20
Core4 merino undies
down vest or puffy
Core4 Element jacket, $90

I have all the above as well as Sitka and the Core4 works equally well.

wapitibob, I just saw the other day that Core4 went out of business. Shame. They had some cool stuff.

ericF

WKR
I'll also second the Merino for your base layer. If you are going Archery, the odor benefit alone is worth getting the Merino. I can't speak to the Sitka gear as I mainly have FL and KUIU, but I would absolutely look at Camofire and get on their email list. They have had a ton of Sitka gear lately. Probably every 3'rd day has been full of Sitka pieces including the Ascent and Kelvin Lite gear.

Twigg

FNG
wapitibob, I just saw the other day that Core4 went out of business. Shame. They had some cool stuff.

I think I heard that Easton bought them out last year. However the same guys just basically renamed their line to Sylo with a little redesign and updating. You can pick up the Sylo pieces for good price on Camofire regularly.

Just went onto Blackovis.com and they have up that Core4element is out of business. They still have some items left over for good prices, if they are your size!

Last edited:

pwsINC

WKR
Honestly,

I am originally from kansas.... go home to whitetail hunt with family every thanksgiving....
I don't have a ton of crossover in my clothing pieces other than base layers. You can still stay around 1k and id get.

First lite merino base layers.
Sitka Timberline Pants or ascent
Puffy (I like kifarus)
Core heavyweight hoody *Edit earlier wrote puffy by accident.
Sitka Timberline jacket.

Then I'd Add the Predator Camos own house branded fleece jacket with the double layer windstopper... It is truly silent.
I wear kanabs with base layers in stand. Then all your mids in a stand can be whatever wool you can find the cheapest.

Then add kings camo xkg rain gear when it's on sale.

If you shop around you probably be close to 1k.

I left gloves and hat of list as if found it's so personal and very mission oriented

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited: