Need some hunt ideas

Vids

WKR
I recently got divorced (don't say you're sorry to hear that, life is much better now than before) and it leaves me with an interesting predicament for 2020. Due to our parenting schedule, in even years I have the kids for all of the holidays in the fall. That's all fine and dandy as I love spending time with my kids but it happens to conflict with all my normal hunts. When they're older this will work out great as I'll take them with me, but they're too young right now.

So, during the months of September and October I have little opportunity to hunt. This is when I normally go elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting and I don't want to skip a year of hunting those species. I will be able to do my normal whitetail hunts in November. During the months of August, December and January I have some 5 day periods available where I could go do something. Also, I have the week of spring break wide open in 2020 but March is too early for turkey.

I think I can figure out some December hunts - there are a few late season opportunities in CO, and I think Nebraska and Kansas have some deer hunts during that time. I've thought about Arizona Coues deer in December/January, so that's another possibility. But what about August? I don't know of many hunts during that time. Is there any spring bear open in March?

Please throw some ideas my direction for hunts in March, August, December and January. Looking to hunt in CO or anything that is a reasonable drive from Denver. (Not interested in a deer hunt in Georgia, for example) Anything and everything big game is a possibility.

I haven't searched through all the state regs to figure this out yet, but I plan to do so. Hopefully some feedback from you all can get me started.

Thanks!!

cnelk

WKR
August = Wyoming Archery RP antelope doe/fawn

December = Late season cow elk Colorado

December = ML deer in Nebraska

March = Archery Turkey in Nebraska

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
WY and CO archery antelope is an option, but I hate the idea of sitting in a blind in 100 degrees....

I think December will be NE and KS whitetail hunting. I've hunted the December late cow season in CO, that's an option too.

Archery turkey in NE opens March 25th, spring break is March 16-20 so unfortunately that doesn't line up.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not in Colorado.....
Gosh I hope you know what your state offers already. Looks like listing which states don't offer archery mule deer in August is sure a shorter list then those that do. Guess I'll just go back to Mom's basement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Yep, I asked for suggestions and I appreciate the ones I got. There was no reason for the snarky replies, take it elsewhere.

16Bore

WKR
How long into the divorce? You have no idea what you’re about to get into.

Hunting is a big warm and fuzzy thing to think about. You’re biggest problem is now is becoming friends with your ex so your kids don’t turn into shitheads.

Sorry for the reality check.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
How long into the divorce? You have no idea what you’re about to get into.

Hunting is a big warm and fuzzy thing to think about. You’re biggest problem is now is becoming friends with your ex so your kids don’t turn into shitheads.

Sorry for the reality check.

I hear ya, and trust me I'm well aware of the difficulties this presents now and in the future. I've seen plenty already. It wasn't a decision I made lightly, I pondered it for a couple years. The results have told me I made the right decision for the kids. Their well being is first priority, but there is also room for hunting while they are with mom.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
It seems your experience with divorce has been completely negative, sorry to hear that. I can tell you from my experience that sometimes life can be vastly improved by removing someone from it. We all have our own unique circumstances.

Rob5589

WKR
As a divorced father myself (now remarried) I suggest a season or two off. It takes a while to get all the kid logistics worked out. It always seems easy on paper but, never works out that way.
You could come to California and hunt A zone in July for archery. Bring shorts and flip flops though 😁
Good luck. Divorce sucks, even if you're the one who wanted it.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Rob5589 - That's interesting that you suggest taking a break from hunting. Mine was finalized in August and I did all my normal hunts from September to November this year. I think it was the best thing for me, to be out in the mountains doing what I love to do. After my first trip I finally started feeling like myself again. Part of getting through it is self care, and I think it's better to get out and be active than sit around the house thinking about it. Just my $.02

I'm not saying life is perfect, we certainly have our share of difficulties. Divorce does suck for everyone involved, but sometimes life lets you choose between two crappy decisions and you gotta take your best option.

BeaverHunter - I didn't intend to be an a-hole. I already said above that I appreciate the suggestions I got from people. The responses from those two came across as "go figure it out yourself" which I didn't find helpful, so I let them know I don't need to hear any more from them. And yes, I do hope my ex is happier now because unfortunately we weren't happy together. Have a nice day.