Need some hunt ideas

Mosby

WKR
Iowa has great pheasant and deer hunting in December. I think there pheasant season goes into January. Fishing on the San Juan River on the NM/Co border is awesome all year. Winter camping can be fun to test equipment in cold weather and its cheap. It helps to get your equipment dialed in for hunting. I am getting some of my tents out after Christmas and do some winter camping and trout fishing.

August Dall Sheep in AK
December Black Bear in NC
January Mt Lion in CO
March Muskox in Greenland

I can hook you up with guides for all.
I’d be happy to come with since you now have money to burn.

16Bore

WKR
It seems your experience with divorce has been completely negative, sorry to hear that. I can tell you from my experience that sometimes life can be vastly improved by removing someone from it. We all have our own unique circumstances.

Hate to say it, but it’s the complete opposite. My ex is a dear woman, we have absolutely nothing but respect for each other, and work our butts off to raise our children. Her husband is fine man, adores my children and supports me 100% as a father. He’s my “assistant dad” and I couldn’t ask for a better guy to be around them.

I can tell you that the people in my community, our friends and family are absolutely floored at the way we all get along. We put in 110% effort.

When we first split, all I’d planned to do was hunt my ass off. It was 2 years later that I finally made it into the woods. And it was nothing more than a long hike with a rifle.

Anyway, hope you’re as lucky....

netman

WKR
Aoudad hunt in West Texas? Myself I’m going crappie fishing in Louisiana in January. However I still have a Kentucky cow elk hunt for the week after Christmas.
I’m trying to talk my wife into a Coues deer hunt in January but that’s falling on deaf ears.

WY and CO archery antelope is an option, but I hate the idea of sitting in a blind in 100 degrees....

I think December will be NE and KS whitetail hunting. I've hunted the December late cow season in CO, that's an option too.

Archery turkey in NE opens March 25th, spring break is March 16-20 so unfortunately that doesn't line up.
I won't sit in a blind for a goat spot and stalk is the only way and it's an absolute blast! Frustrating hunt yes but you're hunting all day long

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
I won't sit in a blind for a goat spot and stalk is the only way and it's an absolute blast! Frustrating hunt yes but you're hunting all day long

Agreed, antelope are a blast because you can have action all day long. Not just dawn and dusk. But man, they're hard enough to spot and stalk with a rifle sometimes! That's an impressive feat to sneak within bow range on a 'lope. Might be a good opportunity for me to buy a decoy to help with that.

Wisconsin archery goes from mid-September to end of January. Tons of public land and NR tags are inexpensive. Been divorced 6 years and my daughter is finally at the age where we can do some hunting together; it's wonderful! Her mother and I loathe each other, but put all our daughter's best interests above everything else, so she won't become a "shithead"...

Normally i wouldnt recommend washington hunting for non residents (or even residents for that matter,) but we do now have fall bear season open august 1st statewide. Northeastern washington is absolutely thick with bears, and there is no baiting or hounds. So if spot and stalk or calling bears is something youre into, northeast washington in august is a great place to be. August bears is about the only hunt here i would ever recommend to a non resident. Bag limit 2 bears.

OP
Vids

Vids

WKR
Thanks guys. All good ideas, I'll need to start sorting things out here before application season. Looks like a lot of great options out there so I won't be bored. Fishing is always an option too, I fly fish and "regular" fish. I know I have missed out on some great fall fishing in the past because I am usually in the woods after four legged critters.

Bottom line is I don't want my parenting schedule in even years to prevent me from getting outdoors, so it may be new and different adventures but I'll still get out there.

my daughter is finally at the age where we can do some hunting together;

I can't wait until the kids are old enough to go, then even years will be a blast because those are the years they just come along!

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Don't overlook predator hunting which in many states runs year round. When my kids were born and I didn't want to be away from home for any period of time I started coyote hunting near the house. You usually can find coyotes anywhere. I'm still addicted today to having a coyote come sprinting in to the call all furred up.

aeasley10

WKR
Rob5589 - That's interesting that you suggest taking a break from hunting. Mine was finalized in August and I did all my normal hunts from September to November this year. I think it was the best thing for me, to be out in the mountains doing what I love to do. After my first trip I finally started feeling like myself again. Part of getting through it is self care, and I think it's better to get out and be active than sit around the house thinking about it. Just my $.02

I'm not saying life is perfect, we certainly have our share of difficulties. Divorce does suck for everyone involved, but sometimes life lets you choose between two crappy decisions and you gotta take your best option.

BeaverHunter - I didn't intend to be an a-hole. I already said above that I appreciate the suggestions I got from people. The responses from those two came across as "go figure it out yourself" which I didn't find helpful, so I let them know I don't need to hear any more from them. And yes, I do hope my ex is happier now because unfortunately we weren't happy together. Have a nice day.

Never understand why guys can’t just reply to what’s being asked not all the other unsolicited opinions/advice. Wish you the best. Be there for your kiddos and do what you love any chance you get!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We hunt black tails and black bears in California from Mid July all the way to the end of November depending on the zone and weapon. Archery started July 13th this year.