Need some lightweight shooting rest setups for upcoming sheep hunt

OP
C
thanks all for the great feedback! will be taking a class or two before I go, and going to try out all of my tools, emphasizing light weight and dual purpose.... you guys are awesome

Lawnboi

WKR
im not a sheep hunter, lol.. just a weekend warrior who tries to get out into the woods. and im consolidating a few hunts into one so that i can at least try before i gett too old to try.

but much appreciated.. i was contemplating taking some kind of rear support bag not unlike what you recommended or the wiebad bag above. im familiar with all the different tools... just not an expert at any one.
If your going to carry a bag I’d carry the one I mentioned before any dedicated rear bag. It’s worth a go, works just as well up front as in back. This year I used it as a rear bag on a deer along with over a rock above another deer.

I also agree with above that you can buy gadgets that just take too long to employ, or if they are hurried in your pack they take too long as well. Even if I drop my pack I rarely leave my tripod and my bag.

Get some stuff now to practice with. Half the reason guys are not comfortable setting up fast with their gear is that they plain old don’t practice with it on the clock.

eamyrick

WKR
I only hunt with my Phoenix bags now. I have a ridge runner and TBD. I also hunt with an adjustable leather sling for shooting off hand standing which has proved invaluable. I much prefer the bags over a bipod for field situations.

jhm2023

WKR
Practice shooting from various field positions off of a pack, jacket, rock, pair of trekking poles, spotting scope on tripod, etc. Especially at steep angles. Leave all the fancy single purpose gadgets at the house to save weight and make everything you carry provide more than one purpose.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
If your going to carry a bag I’d carry the one I mentioned before any dedicated rear bag. It’s worth a go, works just as well up front as in back. This year I used it as a rear bag on a deer along with over a rock above another deer.

I also agree with above that you can buy gadgets that just take too long to employ, or if they are hurried in your pack they take too long as well. Even if I drop my pack I rarely leave my tripod and my bag.

Get some stuff now to practice with. Half the reason guys are not comfortable setting up fast with their gear is that they plain old don’t practice with it on the clock.

I have a Pint-Sized Game Changer with Git Lite fill and I agree with you that it's an awesome all-around bag. I would carry it hunting, but I still can't get my head around carrying it on the type of alpine hunts I do. The Weibad bag isn't as good, but damn it's light. I don't know what they fill it with...angel kisses and kitten whiskers I guess.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a Pint-Sized Game Changer with Git Lite fill and I agree with you that it's an awesome all-around bag. I would carry it hunting, but I still can't get my head around carrying it on the type of alpine hunts I do. The Weibad bag isn't as good, but damn it's light. I don't know what they fill it with...angel kisses and kitten whiskers I guess.
Makes a great pillow too. I’m still young enough to carry some dumb stuff.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved

eoperator

WKR
We planned to shoot off packs with bino harness rear support. Ended up making all shots with tripod and pack rear support sitting position due to tall grass/brush. I feel good about a 200yrd shot standing with tripod/treking pole rear support. If you have tripod in your pack give a arca/rifle adapter such as the salmon river solutions mini (.5oz-$40) a try.

Seeknelk

WKR
If you really want a bipod ,get the spartan javelin and install the sleek gunsmith adapter. Lightest , functioning bipod. Keep in a pocket or something, pops on in seconds. 6 oz I think.
For a rear rest, simply use your bino harness...it's firm but not rock hard most likely. Works well.
Also, you'll probably be hiking with trekking poles. Get the quik stix or whatever they are and practice with those and using your pack wedged upright under your arm, butt stock. Most sheep aren't shot very far. You usually need to get fairly close to judge legality ,etc.

Fire_9

WKR
You’re going to be hunting sheep without a tripod? An ARCA rail mounted on your rifle is the best option in my opinion. Ditch the hog saddle and go direct connect. It’s not great for a hasty shot but if that’s the scenario, a pack should suffice.

EdP

WKR
I carried a tripod with a Bog head on a recent MD hunt and it was 6 lbs in my pack that felt like 20. Then the terrain was such that it was very difficult to set up. Ended up shooting my deer over my backpack. I've never hunted sheep but it seems to me that in mtn terrain you are unlikely to have an easy tripod set up. A bipod or over a rock with your pack seems more likely.

If you want a bipod I would carry a Spartan. I made a Teflon stud to fit the Spartan adapter. Just run a screw through whatever tripod head plate you use into it. Now you have a post to shoot off the tripod. Super light. No way would I pack a rifle clamp.

I personally wouldn’t pack a rear bag.

While guiding it wasn’t hard to get within a decent range. The hard part was finding legal rams.

As much as I like to buy too much gear, you can get awful steady with a couple crossed treking poles and a backpack in a wide range of shot angles. If I need more steadiness than that it's probably getting into ranges where I would question if I should be taking the shot.

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
... lightweight shooting rest setup opinions. It ll require some long trekking on foot so a tripod is probably not in the cards, unless you guys convince me otherwise.
Neopod bipod, I am not aware of anything lighter. You'll see it in the intro of this film. It's an ok compromise for weight, but it doesn't have the versatility of a larger (taller) bipod. I find that with the legs max extended (support height 22 cm/ 8.6"), the Neopod works ok as long as your position gives clearance over vegetation or the angle needed for upwards shots.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Learn to shoot in a traditional sitting position. It’s not that hard. Kneeling is useful as well.

Basic proficiency with a rifle includes being able to shoot prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. This includes basic rests, shoot off of sticks, poles, and so on.

it’s fun to learn once you get it.

OP
C
thanks again guys... 1. im going to practice... a lot more.. classes that emphasize fundamentals as well as field conditions... 2. emphasizing utilizing stuff i ll already have, like my pack, trekking poles... may bring my phoenix TBD (works as butt pad and pillow) either. Other options: RROG rear support system.. very lightweight pending how my training goes. and im jekyll and hyde with the Atlas bipod. Ive never left that at home before.

I second Quack Attack. Basic Rifle positions. Sitting, Kneeling while using your sling with and with out sticks, and shooting off your pack will be the most useful. The years i guided in WY not once did a hunter shoot off a bipod or tripod.