Need some opinions 4th rifle deer in CO

Luked

WKR
Buddy of mine drew a deer tag for 4th rifle and I'm planning to go out and help.
Question I have is I know that it's going to be cold so I'm looking to get some ideas on gear needed suggestions on clothing and also thinking insulated boots.
We will be staying at one of his friends out there house so not packing in and just driving to hunt each day. So not a need for a shelter.
I am a Sitka guy but still new with the gear so looking for some suggestions there. I have their light weight base layers as well as the heavy weight base layers bit really not a ton for insulation. So any advise there will be a big help.
Boot wise I have Lowa Tibets now but I'm thinking of getting an insulated pair of boots but not sure what amount of insulation to get. My feet do tend to sweat pretty bad but I also know it will be cold as hell too and even hunting here at home if my feet get cold I'm kinda screwed. So any advise there also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Down puffy jacket and pants would be my first purchases. You can get by with what you have from there, but if you want to spend more grab heavyweight merino base layers.

Big glassing mittens that can fit over lighter gloves (Cabelas will likely begin marketing this soon as "a layering system for your hands")

Where will you be coming from?

You stated your feet sweat pretty bad so if you get insulated boots don't go overboard with 2000 gram thinsulate. 400 to 600 gram is plenty with good socks.

Colorado is crazy and it could quite possibly be 75 degrees in late November. You never know what you will get. So bring different pairs of footwear.

Layers are your friend.

Hopefully you have a good pack.

hobbes

WKR
I hunt uninsulated Kenetrek boots throughout the Montana elk season into November because my feet sweat a lot when hiking. If I'm sitting and glassing a lot for mule deer in mid November, I'll wear insulated pack boots (600 grams I think) with good socks if it's cold (highs of 20s or lower). One of the biggest things is to make sure I have a pad of some sort to sit in to insulate my butt from the ground. Like stated above, gaitors are a must in snow, at least I think so.

If I'm in a treestand, I need more insulation, a lot more.