Need some opinions

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I have been hunting the same elk unit for two years. First year did not see a darn thing, second year saw a nice 6x6 on private land and that is it. Unfortunately I do not get to hunt as much as I would like but after looking at the harvest reports for the past two year there are about 275 hunters and about 30-35 elk taken during archery season per year. Should i give up on that unit and try to find a unit with higher harvest numbers? Not necessarily higher percentage but just more elk hitting the ground?

It takes a while to learn an area. If you are seeing elk sign, I would keep at it and learn their habits. Learn where they hole up, where they water. Knowledge of an area is hard earned but well worth it.

elkguide

WKR
The only way that an elk knows which land is public and which land is private is because of pressure. Learning where they live and how they live is a big part of elk hunting. Your challenge will be getting to them before they leave public land or convincing them to come to you on public land.

I would stick to and learn an area if possible. That being said, focus on sign in said area. If you're seeing fresh sign, rubs etc. then dont go anywhere. If you are not seeing any fresh sign...head elsewhere. I can just tell you from experience that there are a couple of units that I have hunted where people claim "there are no elk" or low harvest statistics etc, only to find elk right under peoples noses. Its amazing where elk can hide out when pressured. A lot of people assume the backcountry (which is definitely true at times), other times it can be way closer than you realize. Find benches/timber etc, you will find elk

GregB

WKR
I went hunting w/ a buddy of mine this last season in a unit he has hunted the last few years. It has low harvest stats and not many elk harvested. We were into elk 7 of the 8 days we hunted, and probably saw more elk than were harvested in the unit. There is a lot of value in knowing an area well and the fact he has spent the last few years figuring it out is why we were able to constantly be on animals. Moving to another unit you would have to start the learning process over. I would continue to learn the area and get it dialed in.

just because you have an investment in one area doesn't marry you to it. I don't like leaving elk to find elk other than specific circumstance, but if i'm not finding elk i'm moving on.

hard to hunt aggressively when you aren't seeing bulls, and it's hard to kill elk without hunting aggressively.... there are no positives in elk hunting, and you can kill elk without being aggressive if you have elk around, and know the area well and how they use it.... in your case, I feel like 2 seasons is enough time in that area, if it were me i'd move on.

if your next trip takes you somewhere else, use the one you have been hunting as a fall back, or plan B if possible. expand your horizon. there are areas where you can stay among elk consistently, I would be looking for a spot like that

I personally don’t prefer to hunt where elk have private land as an option for a refuge. Between that and the fact that you have barely stumbled onto a single elk I’d relocate and start investing my time learning another area before wasting anymore there. I’d bet more than half of that success rate were elk killed on private property.