Need suggestions for a new sleep system

jjw1

FNG
I realize this is a broad topic with tons of info on the forum but looking for some help please (new to Rockslide):

Due to work and life, have not been able to backpack hunt last 3 years. I have a Marmot Helium and outdoor research bivy bag that worked well in the past. however, I recently slept in the Marmot and apparently it has become too small for me (6'4" 215) felt like there was not enough shoulder room and the zipper always gives me hell!

I was looking at Kifaru body bag and quilt (durability) but I would really like a lighter weight system that wasn't so tight in the shoulders and is durable. I am not sold on down vs. synthetic either way, just want something that works for most seasons through September in the west and is lightweight, durable and comfortable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jim Flint

FNG
Have you thought of the Montbell Down Hugger? It "stretches" slightly, and perhaps, would be more comfortable in the shoulders. I think they are currently made in Vietnam. I've never tried one, as I fit in most long mummy bags. As you already mentioned, a quilt could be a decent solution.

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Jim, thank you. I have never heard of them but I will check them out now!

mlgc20

WKR
I used a Marmot Hydrogen for many years and loved it. I eventually moved to a quilt by Ketabatic Gear called the Palisade. It's actually kind of a hybrid between a sleeping bag and quilt. You can order in a variety of lengths and widths. As much as I loved my Marmot, I wish I had moved to the Ketabatic quilt sooner. So much more comfortable and easy to move around in.

Beendare

WKR
I have a Montbell hugger bag...its good...but you used to be able to buy these on sale at 40% off....they aren't worth buying at full price when you can get A Western Mountaineering bag for about the same price.

My advice, WM Badger and an Exped LG/Long Down Mat...you won't find better than that....

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Thanks Beendare & mlgc20! Looking at all the options and my next question was what sleeping mat or pad.

mlgc20

WKR
Lots of good options for pads:
--Thermarest Xtherm - Lightest and warmest. Loud fabric and least comfortable
--Exped Downmat 7 - Solid all round
--Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core SLX - Most comfortable IMO, lower R value

There are many others. But these are the ones that I have used extensively.

I'm with Beendare...but do not read the menu from right to left. I prefer to get the optimum in comfort and weight savings because a good night's sleep is EVERYTHING during a hunt. I use an EXPED UL9LW pad (I'm a big boy too) and an EE quilt. I own some Revelations but the -10* custom Conundrum is now my favorite. I move alot in my sleep...with this set-up I can roll around without bottoming out the pad or allowing cold air under the quilt. You want a pad with an R rating above 5, mine is 3.5" thick. I will never go back to a bag again although if I wanted to...the Conundrum can do that. It's as close to perfect as anything I have found. But it is pricey so you better use it and recognize it is an investment in the sport. I also have the Hoodlum, booties and mitts for subzero temps.

Attachments

• eeconundrum.jpg
    eeconundrum.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 23
  • eehoodlum.jpg
    eehoodlum.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 23

CO-AJ

WKR
I will second, or third, the WM and EXPED. I went with the Versalite with 3oz of overstuff and the Synmat UL W pad, I think the R rating is just over 5. Winning combo, and can use it pretty much all year.

CO-AJ

WKR
CO-AJ,

What do you think that set-up weighs?
2lbs 2 oz for the 6'6 bag + 3 oz of overfill so I would say the bag is around 2lbs 5 oz. The pad is the Synmat HL winter LW. So it is tapered but wide and long and is right at 24 oz. So total for both I would put around 3 pounds 13 oz or just under 4 lbs total. I have not actually weighed each piece on my own scale yet, but I would bet this is pretty darn close.

WyoBC_99

FNG
Really think of it as a system, with components that can be added or subtracted for the conditions.

I believe in a high-quality treated hydrophobic down mummy bag or quilt. Some wet environments certainly benefit from synthetic, so it depends where you will be using it. Pair that with a thick, insulated air pad, and a foam pad to add R-value in colder conditions.

I have also had good luck layering a synthetic quilt over a down mummy in deep cold, instead of using a true separate winter bag.

Just my 2c.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I find Thermarest pads far more comfortable than Exped pads, or any pad with a vertical baffle arrangement. Every one is different though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WyoBC_99

FNG
I find Thermarest pads far more comfortable than Exped pads, or any pad with a vertical baffle arrangement. Every one is different though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oh, and think about the crinkle factor: I simply cannot sleep on a pad that sounds like a potato chip bag!

OP
J

jjw1

FNG
Thank you everyone for replying! Been down the rabbit hole reading reviews.....