Need suggestions on details for my DIY tarp

Squirrels

WKR
Hmmm, good question. I ended up gluing on the patches and am going to stitch the grosgrain later. I wanted to roll the edge all the way around and stitch the reinforcement patches, which leaves me sewing the grosgrain on at the end. I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sure there's any big benefit to sewing the loops to the patches beforehand. And I'd rather have my stitches go through all of the different layers than just into the patch that's then sewn onto the tarp. It doesn't show a whole lot, but the other thread I started with my recent projects has a pic of my tarp in its current state. I'm going to add to it as I get more finished.

Jeremy

I need to pick your brain about gluing the patches on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another question. Do I sew the patch on the tarp and then sew grosgrain on? Or sew the grosgrain on the patch and sew the patch to the tarp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sew the patch then then the grosgrain. Glue your patches on first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, [and I'm no expert] the gluing is overkill.

I can tell you if you do bond 2 layers of sil with silicone, its strong but i don't think its as strong as sewn in. If you do try to do both, sewing while the silicone is still wet bungs up your needle....but if you wait until its dry [with a very thin layer] it doesn't bung up the needle.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
FWIW, [and I'm no expert] the gluing is overkill.

I can tell you if you do bond 2 layers of sil with silicone, its strong but i don't think its as strong as sewn in. If you do try to do both, sewing while the silicone is still wet bungs up your needle....but if you wait until its dry [with a very thin layer] it doesn't bung up the needle.
It probably is an overkill but it makes it way easier to sew for an inexperienced sewer. Definitely wait for it to dry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Just an update, I'm about finished with the tarp. I glued the reinforcement patches all on and then stitched them after the silicone sealant was good and dry. I didn't have any issues with the needle on my machine but I could definitely see that being a problem if it wasn't quite set up all the way. As a side note, I wish I'd gone a tad bigger on my reinforcement patches. I did 3" equilateral triangles on the perimeter and circles in the body of the tarp. I think I'll be happy with the circles, but after I rolled the edge of the tarp, that ate up a decent amount of the little triangles. Nothing that I think will mean the tarp won't work, but I think it would've been a bit better if I'd gone a little bigger.

Thanks again to everyone who added their input. And as for the gluing vs not for the patches, I'm glad I glued them. As mentioned, for an inexperienced sewer, not having to worry about the material sliding around helped a ton.

Jeremy