Need suggestions on details for my DIY tarp

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
So, I got my 3 apex quilt kits done and moved to the silpoly tarp. I wanted one, but also thought it would be a good way to practice before tackling the pyramid I have planned. So, I used the full width of the silpoly I got and cut two pieces 10' long. I managed to get the center seam done, joining the two together. I'm glad I am doing this project-it definitely helps with some confidence before going for the big tent.

Now I'm trying to figure out exactly how I want to do the rest, specifically the tie out points and reinforcement. I'm thinking of using the leftover 1.0 Robic that I used for the exterior of my quilts for reinforcement. It's not waterproof, but the silpoly is. Anyone have thoughts on what would be good to use for the reinforcement without adding needless weight by overdoing it? How big of a "patch" do you suggest for the reinforcements? I've seen some with triangular pieces, then round ones in the body of the tarp. Also, how would you go about attaching the reinforcement pieces? I watched one guy who in essence glued them onto the tarp with what I can only assume (?) was thinned silicone like for seam sealing, then he stitched it after it dried. Does it matter if you go through the step of gluing it on? Part of my brain thinks that would be good?

For tie outs, would grosgrain work? Better to try and stitch in some dyneema cord of some sort? The cord is so small, I can't help but wonder if I could get enough stitches into it to hold well? I plan on doing some straps at each end of the main center seam, then tie out points at each corner, then 3 more evenly spaced between the corners (that includes 1 between the center seem loop and the corners). That gives me 16 around the perimeter. Then, I figured on doing 4 more on the body of the tent-2 on each "half", evenly spaced from the ends (dividing it into thirds, if that makes sense).

Last, I'm trying to decide which should be the inside. I may be over thinking things, but which side would you put towards the elements? The more finished center seam, or the part that got folded over and stitched? The reinforcement go on the inside, or the outside? The straps around the perimeter; stitch the tail of it on the underside? Somewhere I saw somebody mentioned making the exterior of a tarp or tent as smooth as possible to let it shed rain the best. Plus, I suppose any webbing/strap material on the inside would hopefully not soak up as much water?

Anyway, thanks to anyone who can share their experiences. I really appreciate it.

Jeremy

Squirrels

WKR
In the process of doing the same except I am using 12 foot pieces. I'm gonna use 1/2" grosgrain for my loops, hyperD 300 as my "patch" material. I'm with you in the not knowing wether to glue them or sew them on. I'm gonna make triangle shapes. Another thing I'm not sure of is how to sew the patches up before placing them on the tarp, rolled hem or just fold over once and sew? With all that being said, I'm hoping somebody can help us both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

530Chukar

WKR
I can't answer all your questions as I'm about 50% done with my first pyramid (11.5x11.5 Tut clone.) I chose 500D cordura for reinforcements as that seemed to be what most people on here were using with Hypalon, but that was harder to find. I'm planning on triangle shaped pieces for the stake down points and circular points for the guy line reinforcements. I can see that using SilNet to glue the reinforcement points onto the fabric can make sewing much easier and will prevent you from having to pin it. I'm Not positive whether I want to add the reinforcements inside or outside the tent but I'm leaning inside. Still on the fence between grossgrain and gutted paracord. I believe gutted paracord will be the best fit for the stakes I chose. I think as far as which side of your seam that is out is just going to be personal preference. I did go with a rolled hem along the bottom just for a more finished look. Also just a tip for your pyramid, once sewing your final panels together, start at the base from the rolled him and up to the tip. It will be easier to hide any small length differences after adding the top reinforcement. Good luck. PM me if you guys need any specific pictures.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glue patches first unless you're pretty experienced sewing. It will help them come out cleaner and ultimately make them stronger. Just use more silpoly. Circles are technically stronger though not enough to worry about unless your fabric is particularly fragile and silpoly isn't. Patches on the inside catch less water.

3/4" grosgrain provides superior strength because it disperses tension over a larger span. Outside of the hem is best because of the way wind typically pulls on the stake points.

Put the cleanest side of the seam out though they should basically be the same, but that's another story.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Squirrels

WKR
3/4" grosgrain provides superior strength because it disperses tension over a larger span. Outside of the hem is best because of the way wind typically pulls on the stake points.

Put the cleanest side of the seam out though they should basically be the same, but that's another story.

Sorry, you lost me on this.

Squirrels

WKR
I think as far as which side of your seam that is out is just going to be personal preference. I did go with a rolled hem along the bottom just for a more finished look.

My bottom will be a rolled hem. I don't think I explained myself very well (typical). My question about rolled hem vs just a single fold was in regards to making the patches prior to placing them on the tarp. My plan is/was to make my patches by cutting 5" squares, sewing all the way around and then cutting diagonal to make a triangle (these will be used for stakeouts and guyouts along the edge). I was then going to sew the edge of the patch in the rolled hem of the tarp (place the unfinished edge of the patch with the unfinished edge of the tarp and sew them in the rolled hem at the same time, if that make sense.

Not sure if it is necessary to make the patches with a rolled hem edge (along the edges that don't match up with the edge of the tarp) since they will be glued on and then stitched again. Any thoughts, tips on anything I've menteioned.

OP, not trying to jack your thread but I think these questions could help us both.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My bottom will be a rolled hem. I don't think I explained myself very well (typical). My question about rolled hem vs just a single fold was in regards to making the patches prior to placing them on the tarp. My plan is/was to make my patches by cutting 5" squares, sewing all the way around and then cutting diagonal to make a triangle (these will be used for stakeouts and guyouts along the edge). I was then going to sew the edge of the patch in the rolled hem of the tarp (place the unfinished edge of the patch with the unfinished edge of the tarp and sew them in the rolled hem at the same time, if that make sense.

Not sure if it is necessary to make the patches with a rolled hem edge (along the edges that don't match up with the edge of the tarp) since they will be glued on and then stitched again. Any thoughts, tips on anything I've menteioned.

OP, not trying to jack your thread but I think these questions could help us both.
Single fold is fine

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the information-it's really helpful. And Squirrels, no worries. Your questions are the same things I've been thinking of and wondering.

Chukar-thanks for the advice on sewing up the pyramid. When I was doing the seam on the tarp yesterday, I found my brain began hurting a little when trying to figure out how to sew the panels together on the pyramid so the peak got closed up...

Jeremy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone for the information-it's really helpful. And Squirrels, no worries. Your questions are the same things I've been thinking of and wondering.

Chukar-thanks for the advice on sewing up the pyramid. When I was doing the seam on the tarp yesterday, I found my brain began hurting a little when trying to figure out how to sew the panels together on the pyramid so the peak got closed up...

Jeremy
The peak closes up because of the seams but it does not matter because you need to reinforce the peak anyway.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Oh, and how big do you guys suggest making the reinforcement patches? And how long for the straps to sew in the tie outs from the edges?

Jeremy

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
For the grosgrain (or whatever material is used), how long are the "tails" that get sewn onto the tarp itself? Is there a point at which it's fairly meaningless as far as helping distribute the force put on by staking or tying out? Is 2" of sewn on grosgrain enough, more=better? Hope that makes more sense? And thanks for the info on the reinforcement size.

Jeremy

Beendare

WKR
Ive used heavier reinforcement [because I had it around] on a tarp but its overkill.

I do wide base triangles as they are easy to sew....6" along the seam and about 4" high makes it really strong. Using the same weight or even lighter fabric for reinforcement is plenty strong enough I think.

I have a bunch of the 1" webbing and its too big IMO. I wish I would have bought lighter 3/8" GG instead. I'm cutting my 1" in half and sealing with a flame.

That perimeter seam if folded by 3 or even 4 layers is pretty darn strong.

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, Beendare. I actually have some 3/8" grosgrain, might need to get some more for this and the tent later on. Since I have the 1 oz Robic, I think I may just give that a whirl for the reinforcements. It's the same weight(ish) as the tarp material, but stronger. And since I think I've decided to glue them on prior to stitching, it shouldn't matter that they're not coated/waterproof.

I really appreciate all of the great information.

Jeremy

Super Moderator
Staff member
For larger tarps something like this. The ends are folded under about an inch.
fce4a189ed85c55d045aff8182aea91c.jpg
87cbe6b429e8c2e4f1cdaebdfeacd2e5.jpg
f9e7a8bd5251d54e1a79ac35453ae373.jpg

Squirrels

WKR
Another question. Do I sew the patch on the tarp and then sew grosgrain on? Or sew the grosgrain on the patch and sew the patch to the tarp?

OP
G

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm, good question. I ended up gluing on the patches and am going to stitch the grosgrain later. I wanted to roll the edge all the way around and stitch the reinforcement patches, which leaves me sewing the grosgrain on at the end. I could easily be wrong, but I'm not sure there's any big benefit to sewing the loops to the patches beforehand. And I'd rather have my stitches go through all of the different layers than just into the patch that's then sewn onto the tarp. It doesn't show a whole lot, but the other thread I started with my recent projects has a pic of my tarp in its current state. I'm going to add to it as I get more finished.

Jeremy