Need suggestions to fix my sleeping situation

Learn to sleep on your back and not roll around. Sounds odd, but I was actually able to do this over about a years time. I don't sleep on my back all the time while at home, but I am able to whenever I want now.

dog812

WKR
I don't know if changing your bag is a option. I recently bought a sierra designs cloud, it has a pad sleeve to attach the pad to the bag. Works great. Always wake up on your pad.

I have one of those pads. Not bad but not my favorite.
It’s the static v insulated. 23 x 72 x 2.5 in.
Xtherm has been my go to. Just bought a sea to summit ether light xt Not enough cold nights on it yet but it is comfortable. 4 inches thick.

My go to trick for comfortable sleep is a inflatable pad on top of a closed cell foam. Zlite is good and double as a sit pad around camp and for glassing

20DYNAMITE07

Lil-Rokslider
If you wanna save some money I would consider packing in a seperate foam mat.

I see you mentioned a "mat". I am assuming that you meant the kymit sleeping pad. That being said, it is worth considering.
It would look something like this.
View attachment 107677

Anyone else have any other "high R value" pads that they have experience with? I don't want this to be a B.A. sales pitch.

I'm a fan of this approach. I've told this story a ton, but my insulated air pad valve failed the first night last season, and I was in the dirt, and freezing my arse off. After a miserable night, I hiked out and grabbed my brother's backup Z-Lite CCF pad out of the truck, and was back in the game. I wasn't toasty, but I could sleep. This year, I'm bringing my air pad and a CCF pad. I like the redundancy, and should be a ton warmer.

Advice on a few levels. Sorry if I go over things you already know, but someone may find value.
1. Pre-roll before you pitch: Lay down and feel where the ground will roll you prior to pitching your shelter.
2. Pack your edges: the tops of your Boots, tucked under your mat at knee or thigh level, make a great anti-slip barrier. Tomorrow's socks and a pair of gloves rolled and tucked just under the edges at chest height help too, and are warm and easily found.
3. New gear! If you'd like the excuse to upgrade, I have had great comfort from expeds. The downmat 7 has integrated pump and down filler, but you pay a weight and bulk penalty. The Synmat 7 is much lighter and plenty warm enough for sleeping on snow. You do need a pump or drybag with a valve called a 'schnozzle sack" to inflate it, but it serves to keep your gear dry as well.
Both have higher edge baffles to combat rolling off. Downside to them is the baffles run full length, so if you're sloping downhill you may slide down the mat a bit.

Sorry for the long comment, but I enjoy a good sleep systems and got excited. 😉

This is my inflatable camping pad.
Double Sleeping Mat Size: 75.6x52x1.96inch, Weight: 3.8Kgs / 8.36lb.
I don't encounter a problem like yours. No idea.

Attachments

• self inflating camping pad.jpg
    self inflating camping pad.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 33

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Advice on a few levels. Sorry if I go over things you already know, but someone may find value.
1. Pre-roll before you pitch: Lay down and feel where the ground will roll you prior to pitching your shelter.
2. Pack your edges: the tops of your Boots, tucked under your mat at knee or thigh level, make a great anti-slip barrier. Tomorrow's socks and a pair of gloves rolled and tucked just under the edges at chest height help too, and are warm and easily found.
3. New gear! If you'd like the excuse to upgrade, I have had great comfort from expeds. The downmat 7 has integrated pump and down filler, but you pay a weight and bulk penalty. The Synmat 7 is much lighter and plenty warm enough for sleeping on snow. You do need a pump or drybag with a valve called a 'schnozzle sack" to inflate it, but it serves to keep your gear dry as well.
Both have higher edge baffles to combat rolling off. Downside to them is the baffles run full length, so if you're sloping downhill you may slide down the mat a bit.

Sorry for the long comment, but I enjoy a good sleep systems and got excited. 😉

Unless you find the odd duck any more, you will only find the DownMat XP or SynMat XP models available. Both of these loose the internal hand pump and in turn give you a Schnozzel Pumpbag for inflation. Both mats loose a little weight in the process and each is available in 7cm or 9cm thicknesses, with the 9cm version offering a higher, 3rd party certified R-Value.

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I highly recommend the new Klymit Static V Luxe SL 27" is almost as nice as the 30" Static V Luxe but the SL is .5" thicker and higher R-value. Paired with a Nemo Switchback foam pad underneath in case of catastrophic failure and help avoid punctures. Plus it increases the R value considerably. Both of these pair nicely with the Sea2Summit Explore sleeping bag and held in place with the included (adjustable) pad straps.

Paladin

Elk Masher Wannabe
Yes, get the 30" wide. I am an ounce counter on everything else but when it comes to sleep I don't cut corners.

Usi05

WKR
Learn to sleep on your back and not roll around. Sounds odd, but I was actually able to do this over about a years time. I don't sleep on my back all the time while at home, but I am able to whenever I want now.

I thought this sounded crazy a year ago until I did it before my hunt this past fall.

No issues with my insulated static v or the kelty tuck. My biggest gripe was weight of my bag coming in at 3.75 lbs but brand new on sale for $75 was hard to beat since I had so much to buy for first western hunt.

I may try another pad if one hits classifieds for cheap but hard to beat a $45 dollar pad (ebay) with warranty and R value once I learned to sleep on my back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk