Need to drop some weight

Luked

WKR
Right now I'm at 225lbs and am 5'10"
I have tried the gym thing but due to life woth work and kids and family I just don't do the gym thing well. I have been trying to eat better and ditch as much sugar and carbs as possible. I havw been eating a lot more meat and vegetables and fruit but still don't ever drop much.
My biggest thing in my opinion is my drinks. I drink too much soda. I have been trying to limit that as well the last week and only having one in thr morning, at lunch and in the eavnings. I havs been trying to drink more water during the day at work and havs managed to get up to 64oz per day during work.

We have an exercise bike at home and will start using it more also.
What are some other exercises that I can do at home with little to no weights.
I would like to get down to 190lbs if possible.
Just looking for some help and ideas.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TX4ever

Lil-Rokslider
Biggest thing is diet. Great that you are eating more meats and vegetables. In order to lose weight, you have to be in a calorie deficit- regardless of what you are eating. Keeping track of calories is the the most effective way to lose weight in my opinion.

Tod osier

WKR
Right now I'm at 225lbs and am 5'10"
I have tried the gym thing but due to life woth work and kids and family I just don't do the gym thing well. I have been trying to eat better and ditch as much sugar and carbs as possible. I havw been eating a lot more meat and vegetables and fruit but still don't ever drop much.
My biggest thing in my opinion is my drinks. I drink too much soda. I have been trying to limit that as well the last week and only having one in thr morning, at lunch and in the eavnings. I havs been trying to drink more water during the day at work and havs managed to get up to 64oz per day during work.

We have an exercise bike at home and will start using it more also.
What are some other exercises that I can do at home with little to no weights.
I would like to get down to 190lbs if possible.
Just looking for some help and ideas.

Knowledge is power, track your calories and macros with myfitnesspal. Decide what to do from there. It is an enlightening experience.

Combine Intermittent Fasting with low carb and it will melt off. Dont even need to exercise.

I usually put on some weight over the winter and need to drop 30 lbs every spring. It works really well. I am down 20lbs in 6 weeks.

I eat from 12-6 every day. Thats what I shoot for anyway. I keep splurge meals within that window. I go with the 90/10 rule and try low to no carbs 90% of the time and then a meal or two a week I eat pizza or whatever I want. Just keep it in the IF window.

bdan68

WKR
First I would completely eliminate all sugar, this includes fruit, and definitely don't drink anything that has sugar in it. Also eliminate bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. There's no need to drink water except when you're thirsty. Also, no need to go to the gym, or even exercise at all, but exercise certainly is beneficial and will help to speed up your weight loss. I have three pairs of dumbbells at home and do weight training every day for 20 to 30 minutes. But weight loss is all about what you eat, contrary to what we've always been told by the "experts."

Fasting is another great thing to do and will make your weight loss so much easier. If you can gradually work up to eating only one meal a day, with no snacking at any other time, you'll see great results. Or even two meals a day in a short window. What I did for a few months when I was losing weight is I would eat my first meal of the day at noon, and my second, and last meal, no later than 4:00.

One last thing, if you drink any alcohol, it's best to stop that also, especially if it's beer you're drinking.

Last edited:
I drink too much soda. I have been trying to limit that as well the last week and only having one in the morning, at lunch and in the evening's
if 12oz cans that's 36oz of pop vs 64oz of water. Sounds like your aware this is a problem, and you definitely need to quit drinking pop if your serious about losing weight. Also, will save you some $$$$ if you cut the pop all together.

kjw

WKR
My biggest issue with losing weight is sneaking into the kitchen after dinner or in the middle of the night. Once I control those cravings the weight comes down.
Another option for exercise at home, especially for hunting purpose would be to build yourself a box step. You can burn 90-100 calories in roughly 10 mins. Give or take. Everyone is different but that’s just ballpark. Keep at it and don’t get frustrated.

RedPaint

FNG
Along with what everyone else said about diet, I would just walk. Walking briskly for 45-60 minutes a day is a great way to change your life. Once that is a part of who you are, a guy who consistently sets aside time to workout, the sky will be the limit.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Studies show one soda per day can equal 30 to 50 POUNDS of body weight added in a year. Mentioned this to a friend, she started dropping pounds immediately after quitting soda.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Count my carb to fiber ratio, my doctor said keep my carb count under 40 , it’s all on the box nutritional value both carb + fiber are listed
soda / pop / cokes are a diet killer even diet soda
32oz water , no gluten / white bread , lots of fiber, walking

atkins or sugar buster diet

BCBRAD

FNG
As others have stated, eliminate carbohydrates as much as possible, you always get some in vegetables, but <25 grams a day. I went from 225 lbs to 170 lbs in 6 months and have maintained this weight for the last 6 months but loosing a little now.

If your weight loss stalls , fasting is a way of 'bump starting' it.

Ultimately, the issue of weight gain, is an addiction to sugar/carbohydrates, deal with that and you will be a natural weight.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I have tried in the past with decent results but fell off the wagon pretty quick.

I know I need to drop weight but I have always failed at it.
Rece try went to see a friend who 2 years ago had a stroke and after seeing him in the shape he is in now..not that it is the same as mine. Seeing him like that really put me in my place and on the 12 hour drive home had a lot of time to think and I havs got to get my health in line. Granted I know it's not the same circumstances woth his stroke. But it still made me really thing about a lot of stuff with my own health.

I know my soda is a huge part. And I'm trying to dump that crap now.

My eating is another I know also.
I am a meat and potatoes type not a huge fan of vegetables.
But am trying to do better there also.
But with wife and kids it's not easy also I know that.

For aupper last night it was deer meat on the grill and broccoli cooked on the grill in alum envelope woth olive oil and steak seasoning.
I could honestly eat that every night. But don't have that much deer meat left now.

I do like pork steaks, beef steaks, burgers
Vegetable wise I like broccoli, asparagus on the grill,
But outside that I'm kind of lost.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
Stop with the soda.

Eliminate snacks, especially late night.

Keep your goals in mind every time you eat anything, and it will help you make better decisions about what you eat.

Exorcise. Doesn't have to be hours at the gym, just find something to keep you active. Spend some time on the bike while watching TV. Nice weather, go for long walks.

bdan68

WKR
If you don't like vegetables, don't eat them. I don't, and haven't been for over a year now.

I would advise limiting the pork, it's not the worst thing you can eat, but it's pretty bad due to the crap they feed pigs. Also, same thing with chicken, unless you can afford the organic kind.

Beef is better. Eat lots of ground beef if you don't want to spend the money on steaks. I stock up on beef steak at the grocery store whenever it's on sale, usually I don't spend more than 4.99/pound.

I'd also recommend eating eggs. My wife and I and one daughter eat 6 dozen eggs per week.

Another good protein source for variety is fish. I eat a lot of canned sardines and salmon.

I think something you can add to the whole thing is increasing the calories burned each day, too! Park at the back of the parking lot going to the store, take the stairs, etc. Also, eliminate seconds and/or taking food from others' plates (like your spouse or kiddos). I personally struggle with that last one.

These were all tips from Kyle at Valley To Peak Nutrition that have helped me.

If you can afford it, just getting in touch with Kyle would be a major benefit. The dude is practical and a genuinely good human.

h2so4

WKR
I"ll echo everyone else on the soda. kick that to the curb. How much, if any booze? If anything more than 2 drinks a week, cut it out totally for a month.
Go buy (or go to library) 1 or 2 cookbooks- I'll suggest nom nom paleo and Against All Grain. These will give you plenty of inspiration for healthy meals. You really just need the inspiration and understanding of how to put together a healthy meal. Go on walks with the family if the gym thing doesn't work. Have the kids ride bikes, you walk, etc.
This advice is worth what you paid for it..

I hate to say it, but you already know what you need to do. Get rid of the sugary drinks and the refined carbs. As far as it “being hard because of your wife and kids” goes, you have to get past that. I’d even bet that since you’re the man of the house, your family would start looking up to you more for being disciplined and setting a great example. As far as working out—doing anything other than just relaxing on the couch watching the TV will help your cause. I bet that once you make the decision to yourself, you’ll start getting more motivation to hold yourself accountable to staying healthy. It will NOT be easy to start, but it will get easier. You can do this! Only you can do it! So make a promise to yourself, and get after it!

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Don't drink much at all if ever as far as alcohol goes.
Can understand on the pork as someone said earlier as well.
It's not the easiest thing to do food wise just due to what we have around home as far as stores.
We don't have anything like a Whole Foods or anything like that. It's pretty much just a Wal Mart and one local grocery store.
Fish I can eat I just don't have a lot at home. Have a few places where I can go to catch some fish so I'm hoping to do that some also.