Need to drop some weight

S-3 ranch

WKR
Don't drink much at all if ever as far as alcohol goes.
Can understand on the pork as someone said earlier as well.
It's not the easiest thing to do food wise just due to what we have around home as far as stores.
We don't have anything like a Whole Foods or anything like that. It's pretty much just a Wal Mart and one local grocery store.
Fish I can eat I just don't have a lot at home. Have a few places where I can go to catch some fish so I'm hoping to do that some also.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Subscribe to a meal service if family and logistics are a problem? Till you can find your own program , like meat and sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes, no white rice, , no fruit juice, lots of fiber and meat, fish, eggs, nuts, brown rice
protein over carbs with water and more water

rclouse79

WKR
I am very anti-soda. I never drink it myself and do my best to discourage my family from drinking it. In my opinion is a quick and easy path to being unhealthy. My trick is to not buy things I know I shouldn't consume, but don't always have the will power to abstain from if it is around the house.
As far as exercise, find something you like doing that doesn't feel like a chore. For me it is mountain biking, hunting, and backpacking. I have been trying to go to the gym more. Sometimes I don't feel like going, but almost feel better after I do.

Something that has always helped me lose weight is portion control. Even though theres still food on my plate I try not to eat everything. That, and I try to drink protein shakes for breakfast and lunch. If you can do that for a few weeks youll be surprised at how much weight youve lost.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
No magic science here no special workouts or foods…..simply have to have a face to face in the mirror, diligence and burn more calories than consumption…..life is tough and weight management is tough for 99% of us, but the fact is it is about priorities….just like most people over judge the score of a buck or bull, most underestimate consumption….weigh in routinely and determine actual intake and what you are burning and drinks lots of water….good luck….🤙

ps find something that motivates you….I was a fat teenager never again 🤣 I have told myself and my activities year long help keep me motivated and to keep things in check

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
#1-Daily, long duration (up to 1.5 hrs but build up to that over time) low intensity aerobic workout while fasted (no food for 10 or 10+ hours before) during which you never exceed conversation pace (a pace that allows you to talk fairly normally while doing it). Intermittent fasting may also help you.

^This is the best baseline for body fat control....if you want lean muscle mass along with lower body fat add a good strength program.

#2- If you do not currently avoid almost all processed foods then gradually eliminate them from you diet and convert to a natural diet (things with only one ingredient on the label). A gradual transition will most likely make it a more sustainable transition.

The important concepts for both of the things mentioned here are: patience but do it and consistency.

You can transition to a leaner, stronger and more aerobically capable person or you can focus on just dropping body weight.....I recommend the first option for better quality of life.

The issue you're going to run into with any "diet" is consistency, or the lack thereof. You need to make lifestyle changes, not diet changes.

Stop "trying" to quit soda. Just do it. Find some calorie free crystal light packets if you absolutely need something sweet.

Here's a sample day of what I've found to work very well and more importantly be able to keep up long-term, for me. YMMV.

Sun-Thurs
Intermittent fasting until 1:00p (no breakfast)
Lunch: meat, veggies, and a healthy fat (sample: steak, riced cauliflower, half an avocado)
Dinner: meat, veggies, healthy fat (sample: steak, sautéed squash noodles)
After dinner snack (9:00pm): banana or apple with some peanut butter

Friday and Saturday
Still intermittent fasting until lunch, which is the same meat, veggies, and healthy fat
Dinner: I let myself have some fun for dinner only. One meal.

I'm just going to assume you're exercising.

Good luck and keep us updated.

AKjon

FNG
^ This!.... Stop "trying"... do it!
It truly takes a change of lifestyle, over the years I dieted, or "tried to lose weight" several times with some success, only to regain the weight because I fell back into the lifestyle that caused me to gain weight in the first place.
In 2020 I got my sh*t together and changed my lifestyle as it pertained to eating habits. the funny thing is that I started at almost 230 (5'10") thinking I just wanted to get under 200, 190 would've have been great... a year later I was down to 165, and could probably cut a bit more. now 2 years in, I'm currently holding steady at 170 while working out more to reduce body fat and increase lean muscle before heading into the mountains this season.
At the end of the day, find something that works for you and is sustainable.... and ditch the sodas ;)

Maki35

WKR
When I was younger, I drank a lot of soda and only ate meat and potatoes (not good.)
If you want to lose weight you need to stay focused & determined. Don't do this I'll go on a diet for a few months and then fall off the wagon and go back to your old eating habits. You're just cheating yourself. Soda is junk. Your bad eating habit is what got you to where you are now. Change that if you want to lose weight & keep it off.
A stroke caused your friend to make a healthier choice. Don't wait for a health problem before making a change.
Start with what you put into your mouth. Stop drinking soda. just stop (I did.) Drink water, seltzer water. Eat smaller portions. Stop the junk food. Fast food. Stop the snacks (cookies, chips, donuts.) Eat lean meat (chicken, pork, fish), vegetables and fruits. Have a salad for lunch instead of a burger. Cut back on bread, potatoes, pasta, pizza, cake.
Exercise at home. pushups, sit ups. Do reps and sets. Not just 10 pushups and quit. Start running. Get some weights and a bench (that's how I got started.) Once you get into it and see the results (transformation) it gets easier. It doesn't happen overnight it takes time and commitment.
Google a couple of exercise videos.

Last edited:

arock

Lil-Rokslider
Diet can be tough.

Cut out all refined sugars (soda, dessert, anything with added sugar goes bye bye). Once you're off that for a while - you'll notice you just don't have a taste for it anymore.

Intermittent fasting is a good choice. They've done some clinical studies to support the theories around it and you could worry less about your actual diet (I'd still dump the sugar though).

Something like the 100 push up challenge could be fun and a daily walk with the fam could be a good way to get everyone off their screens and enjoy some fresh air.

if 12oz cans that's 36oz of pop vs 64oz of water. Sounds like your aware this is a problem, and you definitely need to quit drinking pop if your serious about losing weight. Also, will save you some $$$$ if you cut the pop all together.
Pop isn’t bad if its diet. If you are drinking regular soda, I agree - don’t drink your calories.

h2so4

WKR
Pop isn’t bad if its diet. If you are drinking regular soda, I agree - don’t drink your calories.

Don't lie to yourself and say diet soda or those crystal light packets are OK. They are fake sugar (just as bad as fake news) that is just as "bad" for you as regular sugar. Nothing is perfect, but fake sugar can have just as much of an impact on your body as 'real sugar', albeit a different impact. Anyone who says diet soda is OK is off their rocker.

Just drink water. If you need the caffeine go for black coffee or black tea. If you absolutely have to, sweeten with honey, but try to cut it out. Have you tried Spindrift? The flavored soda waters- they could be a great replacement for soda. $15 for 30 of them at costco. There are so many alternative soda options out there once you start looking. just don't be fooled by artificial or other sweeteners.

Wags

WKR
Download MyFitnessPal , put in your information, set your Calories to a deficit that you are comfortable with & track EVERYTHING you take in. Stay committed and you'll see results. You may want to adjust your macros to make sure you are hitting a higher protein number but it'll help keep you honest.

bdan68

WKR
40ish years ago I heard my grandmother tell one of my cousins that was complaining about her diet that wasn’t working…”shut your mouth and move your ass”… holds true today, eat less and move more

Yeah, but really isn't the same advice the "experts" have been giving us for decades? And it doesn't work. It's why so many people are overweight, and many have diabetes and don't even know it. Because it really isn't about moving more, it's mostly about not eating/drinking the sugar and the processed carbohydrates. Most people are fat from eating the wrong kinds of food and they mistakenly think the reason they are fat is from a lack of exercise, because they can't afford a gym membership or simply don't have the time to go to the gym every day. If only they knew they could easily lose the weight by not eating all the carbs every day, and eating more fat and protein.

Hoodie

WKR
Be in a caloric deficit. That's it. Doesn't matter what you eat (though it's easier if you eat high protein+fiber) or how much you exercise. Just have your total daily energy expenditure exceed your daily intake and you will lose weight. That is literally all that matters.

1) Track your food for a week to see what your average daily caloric intake is.

2) Subtract 500 from that.

3)Eat that amount. You will probably lose 1lb or so a week (more at the beginning due to water/glycogen loss).

4)When the weight loss stalls, cut calories again by 100 or so.

5) Do this for no more than 12 weeks. Then gradually reintroduce calories until you hit your new maintenance intake (which will likely be just a little lower than it was initially).

6) Maintain for 8 weeks or so. Regain your sanity and let your metabolism ramp back up.

7) Do another fat loss phase for no more than 12 weeks. Keep repeating this cycle until you weigh what you want to weigh.

If you want to be successful in a sustainable way without doing some extreme fad diet, this is what it generally takes. It's annoying but 99% of people are going to need to track calories. Highly recommend looking at material from Renaissance Periodization. They have figured out the science of staying sane while doing fat loss, and of transitioning back to maintenance without screwing up and regaining weight.

This is the first video in a series that explains what you need to know. Really great primer on how to run a successful fat loss phase.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, but really isn't the same advice the "experts" have been giving us for decades? And it doesn't work. It's why so many people are overweight, and many have diabetes and don't even know it. Because it really isn't about moving more, it's mostly about not eating/drinking the sugar and the processed carbohydrates. Most people are fat from eating the wrong kinds of food and they mistakenly think the reason they are fat is from a lack of exercise, because they can't afford a gym membership or simply don't have the time to go to the gym every day. If only they knew they could easily lose the weight by not eating all the carbs every day, and eating more fat and protein.
It does work, it’s just hard to do. It doesn’t matter if you eat twinkies and cake or organic free range sugar free unicorn. If you take in more calories than you burn, you’ll gain weight. If you burn more calories than you take in you’ll lose weight. You can do it in healthy or unhealthy ways, but it really is just simple math.

BigDog00

WKR
I would add a couple things. People make losing weigh harder than it really is. Most know what they need to change but are unwilling to do so. Working out certainly helps but its all about your diet.

1. Weigh yourself every morning after you use the bathroom. At the end of the week average it out. Track these weekly averages and if you're gaining weight you're still eating too much. If it doesn't change you are at a calorie maintenace. If you are losing, you are in a calorie deficit. Shoot for about 2 pounds per week, this will fluctuate. Tracking calories is a good tool, you'll need a food scale and a tracking app.

2. I like the "move your ass" comment. Try to get 8000-10000 steps in daily (EVERY DAY) You don't have to perfect but you need to be moving. Again working out help, try to get a couple days per week in.

3. You need to drop the soda (you already knew this). Just stop buying it, its that easy. It will probably take a solid month to get rid of the cravings. Shoot for 100+ ounces of water per day.

4. Get 7+ hours of sleep every day.