Need to drop some weight

Don't lie to yourself and say diet soda or those crystal light packets are OK. They are fake sugar (just as bad as fake news) that is just as "bad" for you as regular sugar. Nothing is perfect, but fake sugar can have just as much of an impact on your body as 'real sugar', albeit a different impact. Anyone who says diet soda is OK is off their rocker.

Just drink water. If you need the caffeine go for black coffee or black tea. If you absolutely have to, sweeten with honey, but try to cut it out. Have you tried Spindrift? The flavored soda waters- they could be a great replacement for soda. $15 for 30 of them at costco. There are so many alternative soda options out there once you start looking. just don't be fooled by artificial or other sweeteners.
That is 100% bullshit man - several studies support no insullin increases from diet soda. Its huge fake news and I am so tired of hearing people throw that crap out there.

Here is one. There are several more out there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Track your calories (MyFitnessPal makes it easy). Get a scale and weigh your portions (people are terrible at estimating). Never go over your calorie count for the day. Eat anything you want. Just remember, that soda is not filling. You will quickly learn to get calories from things that fill you up, but learning it from tracking makes you know it, rather than just being aware of the fact. Forget fad diets.

Get a scale, weigh yourself every day. If you're 7 day moving average is not going down, then you are eating too much. Either you are not tracking your calories correctly or have over estimated your calorie needs.

As you lose weight, your brain will try to make you eat more.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
Combine Intermittent Fasting with low carb and it will melt off. Dont even need to exercise.

I usually put on some weight over the winter and need to drop 30 lbs every spring. It works really well. I am down 20lbs in 6 weeks.

I eat from 12-6 every day. Thats what I shoot for anyway. I keep splurge meals within that window. I go with the 90/10 rule and try low to no carbs 90% of the time and then a meal or two a week I eat pizza or whatever I want. Just keep it in the IF window.
x2...Guaranteed to work!!! You are right on PredatorSlayer. Wife and I bumbled into that life style/eating plan earlier this year and love it. I use free version of mynetdiary and it's easy to use. Another added benefit is greatly reduced muscle soreness when you over do it due to reduced lactic acid production in ketosis. I started lifting heavy again at age 60 and it feels good.

h2so4

WKR
That is 100% bullshit man - several studies support no insullin increases from diet soda. Its huge fake news and I am so tired of hearing people throw that crap out there.

I'll play along, but first- how many diet sodas do you drink a day?

What is the proven or potential benefit of diet soda?
What is the proven of potential drawback of diet soda?

Is there likely upside or downside to replacing your diet soda habits with another option that isn't filled with chemicals and shit? Say, for instance, flavored sparkling water?

Artificial sweeteners are just a crutch and easy thing to point to and say- "look! no calories! I can drink without worrying about diabetes." Well, maybe those are true statements, but there are still associated risks and downsides. My argument isn't that they cause insulin issues or diabetes (I assume that is your argument, as its the point of the study linked). My point is that there are so many real and potential downsides that you're better off not drinking it at all. And probably, if you're going to have 1 soda a week, just get the real deal. Get Mexican Coke or the Mountain Dew with cane sugar (or whatever your flavor is).

And likely, those drinking alot of soda, diet or otherwise, have plenty of other risk factors to account for.

"However, recent studies have suggested that NNS may actually contribute to the development or worsening of metabolic diseases, including metabolic syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32482914/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29038387/

Why would anyone want to risk aspartame?

Aspartame and cancer - new evidence for causation. April 2021

I'm not judging anyone for drinking soda. Just don't fool yourself into thinking its healthy or OK because marketing says "no calories" or "zero sugar".
I know the whiskey I enjoy isn't really helping anything, but in moderation I'm ok with the downside.

I'll play along, but first- how many diet sodas do you drink a day?

Is there likely upside or downside to replacing your diet soda habits with another option that isn't filled with chemicals and shit? Say, for instance, flavored sparkling water?

Artificial sweeteners are just a crutch and easy thing to point to and say- "look! no calories! I can drink without worrying about diabetes." Well, maybe those are true statements, but there are still associated risks and downsides. My argument isn't that they cause insulin issues or diabetes (I assume that is your argument, as its the point of the study linked). My point is that there are so many real and potential downsides that you're better off not drinking it at all. And probably, if you're going to have 1 soda a week, just get the real deal. Get Mexican Coke or the Mountain Dew with cane sugar (or whatever your flavor is).

And likely, those drinking alot of soda, diet or otherwise, have plenty of other risk factors to account for.

"However, recent studies have suggested that NNS may actually contribute to the development or worsening of metabolic diseases, including metabolic syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease."

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32482914/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29038387/

Why would anyone want to risk aspartame?

Aspartame and cancer - new evidence for causation. April 2021

I'm not judging anyone for drinking soda. Just don't fool yourself into thinking its healthy or OK because marketing says "no calories" or "zero sugar".
I know the whiskey I enjoy isn't really helping anything, but in moderation I'm ok with the downside.
You are making some huge assumptions - none of those abstracts prove anything.

h2so4

WKR
You are making some huge assumptions - none of those abstracts prove anything.
Answer the first three questions-
how many diet sodas do you drink a day?

The abstracts and findings provide plenty of data and information indicating that the downside to diet soda is much larger than any real or perceived upside. Pretty much the same argument could be made for any chemical laden, ultra-processed food or drink.

Another one, switching to artificially sweetened diet beverages may not lower the risk of diabetes, as diet soda consumption cannot be ruled out as an independent diabetes risk factor.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider

Zevia sodas are sweetened with Stevia. In my brief sting with keto I measured my blood sugar before and after drinking Zevias and there was no change. It's also pretty damn good! Every once in a while I get one of the variety packs as a treat. Most of the time I just stick to seltzers though.

evergreenethos

Lil-Rokslider
Whenever I've waited too long to start training and need to cut some weight / build endurance I do this:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-10000-swing-kettlebell-workout/

500 kettlebell swings a day, 2 days on and one day off, until you get to 10K. I don't do the 10, 15, 25, 50 rep ladder they mention, instead I just do 15-25 at a time and measure my heartrate to keep it in optimal fat burning range (~70% your max heart rate, which is 220 minus your age, more on that here). I use a 35lb kettlebell. It says for dudes to use a 53lb one, but also look at the guy in the picture. Who am I, Cam Haines (cringe) I am not that yoked. The first few days it usually takes me 60+ minutes to get to 500 swings. By week 3 I can do it in around 40. It will wreck your hands (I have to set my ego aside and use hand lotion at night) but it is the best full body, don't need a gym, can be done anywhere, only one piece of hardware required, no BS workout I've found. I usually pick a good show with ~60 minute episodes that I only allow myself to watch while I'm swinging the KB. It might sound dumb, but its just something that helps keep me motivated.

Love them or hate them, MTN OPS has a great weight loss program. Don't need much in the way of hardware, some basic dumbells and resistance bands is all you need. It's not as intense as the 500 KB swing a day plan, but it's decent.

Echo what everyone else said about tracking food with MyFitnessPal. I don't do that all the time, but when I'm cutting weight I will do it for a week or two until I have a handful of meals/snacks I know what the calories and macros are and I will stick to those until I've gotten where I want to be.

I have tried in the past with decent results but fell off the wagon pretty quick.

I know I need to drop weight but I have always failed at it.
Rece try went to see a friend who 2 years ago had a stroke and after seeing him in the shape he is in now..not that it is the same as mine. Seeing him like that really put me in my place and on the 12 hour drive home had a lot of time to think and I havs got to get my health in line. Granted I know it's not the same circumstances woth his stroke. But it still made me really thing about a lot of stuff with my own health.

I know my soda is a huge part. And I'm trying to dump that crap now.

My eating is another I know also.
I am a meat and potatoes type not a huge fan of vegetables.
But am trying to do better there also.
But with wife and kids it's not easy also I know that.

For aupper last night it was deer meat on the grill and broccoli cooked on the grill in alum envelope woth olive oil and steak seasoning.
I could honestly eat that every night. But don't have that much deer meat left now.

I do like pork steaks, beef steaks, burgers
Vegetable wise I like broccoli, asparagus on the grill,
But outside that I'm kind of lost.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I lost 100 lbs about 5 years ago mostly due to the paleo diet. I also started exercising regularly but the diet made the weight loss happen and exercise made me fit. I started with walking a couple miles in the morning that turned into running and then ended up lifting weights in the gym and when it gets closer to hunting season I tone down the weights a little and spend more time on the stair machine. I really like meat and vegetables so the paleo thing works well for me, I do still drink beer however which isn’t the best thing to do but even then I have been able to maintain a consistent weight and fitness. Paleo has been very sustainable for me and though my wife and the last kid we have at home we’re reluctant at first they’ve both joined in and both have lost weight and go to the gym now. It definitely helps that I do most of the cooking, which means if they didn’t want what I was cooking they’d have to figure something else out! I grill most nights and pretty much any meat and vegetables are great grilled. The air fryer is also awesome for veggies. A little olive oil and seasoning on just about any vegetable on the grill or air fryer is good. I don’t really have a sweet tooth anymore, but I do like the dark chocolate peppermint patties from Trader Joe’s. They are made from honey, peppermint oil and dark chocolate and are the only desert I need. I have to make strict rules for myself so no cheat days or meals etc. I started this when a similar aged acquaintance I hadn’t seen in awhile told me that he had a heart attack and that he was telling his friends that they needed to pay attention to their health. For whatever reason it clicked that I needed to get my shit together in that department. I randomly watched a documentary called love paleo that made sense and seemed like something I should do. A friend around the same time told me about jocko willink’s book extreme ownership so I listened to it while on my early morning walks, I highly recommend it. I had the want, some knowledge and good motivation that all happened to fall into place at the same time. Set yourself up for success like that and Good luck with your endeavor, it’s very worth pursuing!

WKR
What are some other exercises that I can do at home with little to no weights.
I would like to get down to 190lbs if possible.
Just looking for some help and ideas.

I have never been able to out-exercise my diet. I’m 5’10” and should probably be 180-185. I’m currently 200. I put a lot of effort into my workouts. But any time I’ve dropped some pounds it’s been because I stuck to healthy eating, not because I worked out more or harder.

D S 319

WKR
Instead of soda try Zevia. It is better than 3 sodas a day regardless of the sweetener. And I am fairly positive that protein actually raises your levels nearly as much as carbs do. Just watch what you eat. Calories in vs calories out and you will have no issues.

Johnv7

FNG
My biggest issue with losing weight is sneaking into the kitchen after dinner or in the middle of the night. Once I control those cravings the weight comes down.
Another option for exercise at home, especially for hunting purpose would be to build yourself a box step. You can burn 90-100 calories in roughly 10 mins. Give or take. Everyone is different but that’s just ballpark. Keep at it and don’t get frustrated.

First I would completely eliminate all sugar, this includes fruit, and definitely don't drink anything that has sugar in it. Also eliminate bread, pasta, potatoes, and rice. There's no need to drink water except when you're thirsty. Also, no need to go to the gym, or even exercise at all, but exercise certainly is beneficial and will help to speed up your weight loss. I have three pairs of dumbbells at home and do weight training every day for 20 to 30 minutes. But weight loss is all about what you eat, contrary to what we've always been told by the "experts."

Fasting is another great thing to do and will make your weight loss so much easier. If you can gradually work up to eating only one meal a day, with no snacking at any other time, you'll see great results. Or even two meals a day in a short window. What I did for a few months when I was losing weight is I would eat my first meal of the day at noon, and my second, and last meal, no later than 4:00.

One last thing, if you drink any alcohol, it's best to stop that also, especially if it's beer you're drinking.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
My biggest issue with losing weight is sneaking into the kitchen after dinner or in the middle of the night. Once I control those cravings the weight comes down.
Another option for exercise at home, especially for hunting purpose would be to build yourself a box step. You can burn 90-100 calories in roughly 10 mins. Give or take. Everyone is different but that’s just ballpark. Keep at it and don’t get frustrated.
Brush your teeth after your done with dinner. None snacks taste good a la toothpaste

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Don’t drink sugar
Don’t eat late in the day
Calories in < calories out
30 minutes of high effort exercise 3x/week.

Those four are my guiding principles. I find that being too rigid invites the idea that I’ve failed, when it’s really just a new pattern trying to creep in. I need flexibility in my life because chocolate cake and ice cream.

It’s a process, listen to your body and you’ll get it figured out. Once I knew what feeling good is like, I realized that sugar and diet soda actually make me feel like shit, so I slowed way down.

Change things over time, and form the right habits. Can’t go wrong.

Last edited:
Mtn tough 30-30 program can be done at home with no equipment. I struggled with the same thing trying to manage multiple jobs/ventures, family, etc. I just wake up an hour earlier everyday and get the workout in at home. My life is better because of it. Also, start eating only real food. Nothing processed or premade, just meat, veggies, fruit, potatoes etc. this cuts out soda and sports drinks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carb and sugar addiction is real. I quit drinking alcohol back in October and picked up a bad sugary snack habit. I weened myself off of sugar, went on a mostly keto diet, and now I am eating only meat, eggs and minor amounts of cheese. I fast 16 and eat in a 8 hour window, no snacking.

Eat until you are comfortably full and keep your electrolytes up. NOT Gatorade! Sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Low/no carb will flush fluids and low electrolytes cause the keto flu. Two meals a day.

I'm 6ft. March 29th I weighed 194.6, today I weighed 183.4. Cut the sugar, anything made of grains, and cut out all seed oils. I walk and do some body weight exercises a few times a week. Nothing too intense.

Will_m

WKR
Pick up a nicotine habit. Will fix your food/sugar cravings and then give you a new project when you try and quit later