Need to Upgrade?

sram9102

WKR
For a guy who's just trying to get a sub moa load developed and would have to think long and hard about shooting at an animal at anything over 700 is there any need to get more than just a standard set of full length dies? I've always used basic rcbs dies in the past. I see alot of talk of neck sizing dies, etc, is there really a need to drop the extra cash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ericwh

WKR
If you shoot more than one projectile I think a micrometer seating die makes setup easier.

JDixon

FNG
I have also been reading info on neck only sizing. Going to try it out. Just ordered Lee collet neck sizer and Redding body die

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
I have also been reading info on neck only sizing. Going to try it out. Just ordered Lee collet neck sizer and Redding body die

For hunting I always full length resize, setting the shoulder back 3-4 thou, to make sure I minimize potential feeding issues. Sometimes I’ll necksize for load development since it’s easier/faster.

Rob5589

WKR
Consistency is key to a good load. Yes, you can do it with the basic dies. Yes, better equipment can help you dial in that last bit of perfection. I use Forster micrometer dies, they work great and aren't breaking the bank. I also fl size every time and do not run the expander ball. I use a Sinclair mandrel die to size the neck to the neck tension I want.

JRMiller

WKR
The only dies i would champion for any appreciable positive accuracy gain i've gotten out of high end dies was switching to Redding type S (full size) bushing dies for some calibers (6.5G and 6.5C). It depends though on your individual rifle barrels chamber cut and how much your brass's shoulder moves forward during firing. I have one barrel that, though within "spec", is on the far end and my shoulder fire forms .011'. When using standard dies, any, they would bump the shoulders back to "spec", moving them .009" or so.
Accuracy suffered. With the type S i'm able to choose the shoulder bump i want, which most look for .001-.003. The dies are good for about .25moa improvement in my rifles as the brass is growing only max .003 now instead .011