Need Trail Running Show Advice

OP
B
I was torn between trying the hokas or Altra and found a deal on some lone peaks and just got them yesterday comfy hoping to get on a trail this week

slick

WKR
I just went and tried on a bunch of different pairs..

Ended up with the Hoka Speed Goats

That said, I knew a graduate program that backpacked in the balkans (13 people) well over half had used Altras and they didn’t hold up well at all. This wasn’t anything close to as rigorous as hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
At the moment I'm using the La Sportiva Bushido II running shoe. It's a good shoe but, I'm not blown away by the performance or anything. They seem to be holding up well.

I had a pair of the Altra Lone Peak 4 and loved everything but, the insole wouldnt keep in place. It was soooooo aggravating. Brought them back and, switched them out with another pair and, had the same results. I ended up super gluing the insoles in place because I loved everything else about the shoe. When the insole started moving again I sold them. I haven't heard anyone else mention that issue so I'm assuming it had something to do with me.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Altra Lone Peak have been my go to’s. I was previously a fan of Solomon but they didn’t hold up as well as my Altra’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egarviz

FNG
I second the Hoka's, especially the speedgoat for the cushion and lugs. Speedcross' are too aggressive for packed dirt in my opinion and Altra's are mostly hit or miss depending on your feet, personally they did not work for me and just felt sloppy.

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
Another Altra fan, lone peak and timps. Never experienced much calf soreness which can do along with switching to a zero drop. I have wide, flat feet and they give me room to breath.

I trail run a lot and my two cents is to look at the Altra Lone Peaks (promote solid running form and are suuuper comfy with the toe box) and also the Hoka Speedgoat. They are very very different shoes but both have a spot IMO. The lone peaks, as mentioned, really make you stick to your form, especially going up/down. The speedgoats, for my feet, are not quite as comfy as they have a far narrower toe box, but on really long runs when things fall apart a bit, especially going downhill, the speedgoats are my preference as they just have more support and can bail you out of compromised form when you're running on tired legs. All just my two cents...find what is best for you.

The biggest thing is to get some different shoes on your feet and see what fits best for you though. Best of luck. There's nothing like being in good running shape.