Needed advice on points purchase in MT

tntrker

WKR
I'm planning an Elk hunt in Region 313 in MT in 2022. When I went in 18 there was no point system that effected me. Now I've read MT has implemented one with only a 2 yr span. Do I need to purchase a preference point this year and next to ensure a nonres tag for 22? Sept is the deadline to purchase. Thanks for your time!

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
I had 2 points last year and didn’t draw in the 1st round, got someone’s returned tag though. All the non resident tags sell out.

Brendan

WKR
Assuming that 313 is hunt-able via a general tag (I don't know the unit), yes you want to buy a preference point. The question is whether or not you want to start purchasing this year, or next (I'd call FWP). What you don't want to happen is buy this year and next, but have them zero out before the following year.

To my knowledge, 2020 required 2 preference points to be guaranteed a general elk tag. I think it would be a poor choice to bank on it staying that way through 2022.

Buy one this year. Buy one next year. Get your 3rd with your application in 2022. Worst case scenario, all evidence points to only 2 being necessary as you go to apply in 2022 and you can save your $50 for the 3rd point at that time.

Edit: this all assuming you plan to hunt on a general tag and not the late migration hunt, which I wouldn't plan on drawing.

Last edited:
I had 2 points last year and didn’t draw in the 1st round, got someone’s returned tag though. All the non resident tags sell out.

MT published #'s say that 2 Preference Points was 100% for a general tag. Are you talking preference points or bonus points?

Brendan

WKR
Just checked, buy one this year. From FWP:

• You can only purchase without applying for the combination license for 2 consecutive years. If you skip 3 years of applying for the combination license, all preference points are zeroed.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
MT published #'s say that 2 Preference Points was 100% for a general tag. Are you talking preference points or bonus points?

I’m talking preference points, last year when I checked if I drew gen elk it said un successful, then said successful. So I called them to see what was going on.
They said that I didn’t draw in the 1st round but got someone’s returned gen tag because they didn’t draw the limited permit for the unit they wanted so they elected to have an 80% refund on their gen tag.

I would definitely buy a preference point now for MT. It’s only going to get harder to draw. It’s only a 2 point max now, but that could easily change.

OP
tntrker

tntrker

WKR
Bought both a preference point and bonus point with intentions of doing the same next year and for the hunt in 22. Thanks!!