Needing help on a rifle of my dads.

Buck197

WKR
So, I lost my father to cancer in 2000. A few years before his passing, I was working in Colorado, and got heavily into guns and such, and told daddy I wanted to have some work done on one of his rifles. When he was passing through, on the way to a pipeline job in Wyoming, he dropped off an old Remington 7400 semi auto, believe its a 7400, not in front of me at the moment. I took it to a gunsmith in Evergreen Colorado, and as my dad was always called Buck, I had a engraving, laser if memory serves me, done on the stock, the stock refinished, Parkerized on the metal, and he engraved on the side of the receiver, customized for Buck with our last name. So the stock came out really nice, finish and engraving, its a really nice unique look, on a semi auto dad probably harvested near a hundred whitetail on...don't ask, it was a different day and age, haha. Anyways, where the guy hand engraved on the receiver, it looked like the fellow had been on a 3 day drinking binge, or just coming off of one. Dad's long gone now, I don't have kids to pass it on to, but I would like to fix this. I guess I was to nice in those days because I'd probably knock em on his ass for that crap job nowadays.Do any of yall know, or think, maybe nowadays I could maybe get someone thats decent laser that out so it doesn't look like a man with hand tremors engraved the customized for Buck part. I don't know, maybe cover it, enlarge the letters, Any ideas?
I recently found my brother I hadn't seen since I was 8 or 10 years old, and im thinking I'd like to pass this rifle onto his son, or my cousins son in the next few years. Sorry for the story, but its somethjng that bothers the hell out of me, and even with my dad gone I'd like to make it right, although he never complained.
Thanks folks, any suggestions, ideas, opinions, advice, id sure be obliged.

Scars are part of history...rewriting history is wrong. Embrace the imperfection, retain the original look and love the story. But maybe that's just me.

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
I do appreciate your thought very much, and a part of me sees what your saying. I would like to look at fixing that one part if it's feasible however. Thank you so much, sincerely.

Wapiti1

WKR
Are you OK shipping it to a gunsmith, or would you prefer someone more local? What you describe isn't a tough job to polish out the engraving, correct it and then refinish the receiver. Cost, I don't know. Figure $100 to refinish, plus the other work as a very large ballpark.

Jeremy

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
I'm at the grocery store so half read. I am definitely not against sending it to a competent Smith as long as he's legit., ill read entire thing when my better half quits abusing my ass by making me grocery shopq her!!!

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Are you OK shipping it to a gunsmith, or would you prefer someone more local? What you describe isn't a tough job to polish out the engraving, correct it and then refinish the receiver. Cost, I don't know. Figure $100 to refinish, plus the other work as a very large ballpark.

Jeremy
By chance, do you have a recommendation of a good Smith? Thank you either way.

Wapiti1

WKR
Since it will require refinishing, contact Craftguard Metal Finishing in Iowa and discuss it with them. They should easily be able to handle a polish, engrave and refinish.

Tyler Gunworks in Texas is another to call. They do some beautiful work.

These both do their finishing in house. Most gunsmiths don't anymore.

Jeremy

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
Since it will require refinishing, contact Craftguard Metal Finishing in Iowa and discuss it with them. They should easily be able to handle a polish, engrave and refinish.

Tyler Gunworks in Texas is another to call. They do some beautiful work.

These both do their finishing in house. Most gunsmiths don't anymore.

Jeremy
Jeremy, you are the man my friend. Thank you so much. The way that part came out has always bothered me. In a couple of weeks, ill take a.couple of pictures of it and post em. For a.semi, it actually is sharp looking, except for that.

Wapiti1

WKR
Jeremy, you are the man my friend. Thank you so much. The way that part came out has always bothered me. In a couple of weeks, ill take a.couple of pictures of it and post em. For a.semi, it actually is sharp looking, except for that.
If those aren't what you are looking for, PM me and I'll send some other names of guys I know. These two I have used for finishing and they do solid work.

I understand that you wanted it right the first time even if it's history now.

Jeremy

OP
Buck197

Buck197

WKR
I am on the place in Iowa website, it looks like they are set right to do the job.