Needing some guidance

So, I've gone through as many old threads as I could, but I'm no longer sure what the proper fix is. Bow and setup is: Hoyt Axius Alpha #2 cam, 67lb draw, 27.5 DL. Arrows: Easton Bowhunter 6.5 stock fletch of 3 Bully (Blaser) vanes, stock insert, 28in CtC, 100 grain tip, 406 grains +/- going 291 FPS. QAD ultrarest HDX tied into the cable.

I took my bow to the shop, got it tuned to shooting bullet holes, guy is reputable so I don't think its a tune issue in my very limited experience. Noticed my riser shelf had some wear on the pad, and my vanes are hitting. Tried to spin the nock to have the cock vane out, but arrows were all over the place. Sometimes, its for sure me torquing if I slack on my grip, but they hit regardless. I would like to change arrow setups and vanes just because I think there are probably some better ones to use, but was hoping to get through this season with my arrows. Is this as simple as a retune, or is this the time to go ahead and at a minimum, refletch with some lower profile vanes? Was looking at AAE Stealths or Hybrids. Thank you for any insights!

Check your centershot, that's the distance between the inside of the riser to the center of the arrow shaft. Also look to see if your arrow is close to the center of the Berger hole at full draw. With your rest that means pushing the tab on the rest to hold it all the way up, then looking at it from the side to see where the arrow is.

That's just a few rough starting points, should be good, but eliminate these things from the start. Most vanes will clear if those things are correct.

Centershot should be 3/4-7/8". Generally set at 13/16" and you would yoke tune that bow.

Where/what are the vanes hitting...cables, rest fork, rest containment bar, riser shelf?

I thought he meant the shelf pad.

I thought that bow had the built on rubber on the shelf. Kinda acts as a drop away pad, but then goes up the side of the shelf a bit. Vanes should clear even with the highest of profile, unless he really torque the crap outta it.

Infact, he probably can't see the Berger hole because of the rubber. So I guess he needs to locate it.

OP
choosevelt
You are right, hitting the rubber shelf pad. Best I can tell by myself right now, arrow appears to be just below the top of the Berger. I haven’t been able to measure the center shot just yet, though. I could see that being an issue. Again, while if I’m really tired the torque exacerbates it, but it’s getting hit even when I’m dialed in.

Mighty Mouse, it’s hitting the pad on my riser. Right handed bow.

Thanks guys.

Edit: when I hit the tab on my rest at full draw and with the arrow knocked, it doesn’t lift the arrow at all.

Last edited:
You are right, hitting the rubber shelf pad. Best I can tell by myself right now, arrow appears to be just below the top of the Berger. I haven’t been able to measure the center shot just yet, though. I could see that being an issue. Again, while if I’m really tired the torque exacerbates it, but it’s getting hit even when I’m dialed in.

Thanks guys.

Edit: when I hit the tab on my rest at full draw and with the arrow knocked, it doesn’t lift the arrow at all.

Hitting the tab on a qad should rotate the rest another 10 degrees or so. It will put the launcher completely vertical, generally raising the arrow just slightly.

OP
choosevelt
Hitting the tab on a qad should rotate the rest another 10 degrees or so. It will put the launcher completely vertical, generally raising the arrow just slightly.
So I’m probably nock low? Based on that, I’d say it’s a fair bet my center shot would be off.

So I’m probably nock low? Based on that, I’d say it’s a fair bet my center shot would be off.

Don't know, just wanted to clarify that while not much, your rest should raise the arrow slightly when you push the tab. Could be your rest isn't positioned correctly. Try to get a picture at rest but cockedt, that's easier to understand.

It seems something is wrong, just trying to break everything down.

OP
choosevelt
Don't know, just wanted to clarify that while not much, your rest should raise the arrow slightly when you push the tab. Could be your rest isn't positioned correctly. Try to get a picture at rest but cockedt, that's easier to understand.

It seems something is wrong, just trying to break everything down.
I understand. It does lift a smidge at rest but nothing at draw, I don’t know how I missed that. The more and more I think about it, it’s not outlandish that something got bumped during travel. Would slight contact on the vanes cause an obvious fishtail?

Thanks guys.

I measured on my Hoyt Helix (immediate predecessor to the Axius with presumably similar geometry) and the center of the Berger hole sits approximately 15/16" above the rubber shelf pad. Even with a tall vane like a Bully, that should give you plenty of vertical clearance if the arrow is running anywhere through the Berger hole. I'd think the rest and/or nocking point would have to be adjusted way low for the vane to be hitting the horizontal portion of the shelf pad.

I suppose having the rest way out of centershot could also cause the inside vane to hit the vertical portion of the shelf pad.

Marble

WKR
I think he should spray foot powder on his vanes and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I understand. It does lift a smidge at rest but nothing at draw, I don’t know how I missed that. The more and more I think about it, it’s not outlandish that something got bumped during travel. Would slight contact on the vanes cause an obvious fishtail?

Yes, very obvious.

As suggested by @Marble , try foot powder on your vanes, see where they are actually contacting. It's likely the timing is off on your rest.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not sure how your vanes are hitting the rubber shelf pad and not your rest launcher, which should be higher above the shelf than the pad.

On my PSE with the QAD launcher laying flat against the shelf, I only have 1/4" of clearance between the launcher and the "bottom" of the berger hole, so I have to set my nocking point and arrow higher to ensure vane clearance.

We need pics.

Here's what mine looks like at rest and you can see how vane contact would be bad if I put the arrow through the middle of berger hole.
100_4151.JPG

OP
choosevelt
Hope these help. Looking from the back, right vane hitting the rubber riser pad. I put some white athletic tape on the pad and had orange lines running across it, all my arrows hit. Way I’m reading the tape my center shot is off?

Attachments

• 7CA1B54B-ABF6-4695-8F3F-B5CEC7BC4C59.jpeg
    7CA1B54B-ABF6-4695-8F3F-B5CEC7BC4C59.jpeg
    291.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C9D745E5-25A5-4E95-BE59-20B555313E8F.jpeg
    C9D745E5-25A5-4E95-BE59-20B555313E8F.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 2C3D3604-4659-493C-AF1A-E33FDC7268CC.jpeg
    2C3D3604-4659-493C-AF1A-E33FDC7268CC.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 36EBAF23-A6C2-49DA-B44D-31C2831D13C9.jpeg
    36EBAF23-A6C2-49DA-B44D-31C2831D13C9.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 21
That rubber pad makes it confusing, looks like you are probably right at 3/4".

Try taking a shaft and laying it on the opposite side of the riser, parallel to a nocked arrow, so they are side by side. The nocks and points should be equal distance apart.

20220608_130936.jpg

Looks like you might bump it out just a little, can't tell if they are running together or not for certain, but looks like they are.

That will put you about 13/16 off the riser.

OP
choosevelt
Looks like you might bump it out just a little, can't tell if they are running together or not for certain, but looks like they are.

That will put you about 13/16 off the riser.
Right on, I’ll give that a shot when I can shoot later tonight. Thank you guys for all the help, really appreciate it!

Right on, I’ll give that a shot when I can shoot later tonight. Thank you guys for all the help, really appreciate it!

See any marks like you are getting contact on the launcher?

Turning your vane out should have maximized your clearance, if you were still having issues there I think you need to figure out where else the vanes are contacting.