Neighbor issues help needed

My son has been working on getting deer to grow and bed on our farm. Finally have 2 good bucks patterned. He has them coming from bedding into field every night. Problem is that a neighbor owns 4 acres next To our farm he has never hunted before but decided to put a tree stand up because he saw the size of these two bucks I don’t blame him because it’s his property but we also have to figure out a new game plan for my son. Once a deer passed through his little sliver of land their back on us but he owns a little piece of land across the creek in the woods where he put his stand the day he put the stand up the deer disappeared for a week I feel that if he gets in the stand the deer will wind him because our windows prevailing out of the south right now and blow the deer out of there I’ve had several suggestions from other bow hunters to put something down in the woods on our property to scare the deer out of there like hair from the barbershop things like that to keep them from going into that area to bed and then move back on our farm in the woods in bed on us but I don’t know any ideas would be appreciated possibly someone else has had a similar situation for

Attachments

• 5CC3B56A-293A-4515-BB1D-DD2BDC9FCAA8.jpeg
    5CC3B56A-293A-4515-BB1D-DD2BDC9FCAA8.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 158

Mike 338

WKR
All you can do is talk to your neighbor and tell him what your kid has been doing. Maybe he'll lay low on opening day. Maybe not. Maybe he'll shoot one on his property and it'll expire in your driveway, which would be poetic justice. That'd be one of those teachable moments with your son about "divine intervention". Hand him the fluff of the tail for his trophy. After that, it's out of your hands. Can't tell you how many times I've had a well planned hunt blown by a passer-by, some dude in an scouting airplane, another dude in a helicopter or a legit hunter who was a minute ahead of me.

*zap*

WKR
I would cut him off by hunting close to the bedding in the evening before they get to him or his smell. Another thing is many people hunt opening evening but not opening morning. Find a way to get on their trail back to bedding or at the bedding itself for opening morning..

If he has never hunted, maybe reach out to help him. There are 2 quality bucks you are after but if you all work together you have many more over the years.

I like the idea of a team up. Could be a good chance to offer him some help and still get your buck.

OP
W
Thank you.teaming up with this fellow is not an option. I should have have some background on him. My son has a stand on our property 20 feet away from where he set up. He actually called me and said . I set up a stand on my piece of land 20 feet from your stand down in the creek. I informed him it was my sons .but asked politely if they could alternate on the right wind hunting there. He said I will hunt when I want. I again asked if we could strategize on these bucks as it’s taken 7 years of farming alfalfa and we have never had a big buck so patterned. He again said I will do my own thing and I’m hunting all opening week. Thanks for the advice. Sons out now .long range viewing to see where they are re entering the bedding area.

It’s hard this late in the game but you could create a barrier by dropping trees and helping direct the travel paths off his property

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
Not sure how big your property is, but having a guy who has never hunted will surely bugger up a big/old/wise deer. Hopefully he will seek refuge on your land.

Sounds like this guy is going to have to have everything perfect and be ready for the perfect shot at the perfect time. Not going to have a lot of shot opportunities from what I gather and I’m betting he will realize that as well after his first sit, however long that may last.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had this exact situation for years, but our neighbor set up to shoot on every one else's property, sitting at the his property corner of were ours and 3 other properties met his property. We caught him trespassing several times. Eventually, with the help of other neighbors also frustrated with his actions, we confronted him and he stopped, but after 10 years of conflicts.

As for your neighbor, He has the same right to hunt his land as you do to hunt yours and there is nothing you can do about it provided he is following the law. If he does trespass or otherwise break the law, call the proper authorities and prosecute, otherwise leave him be.

Long term deer patterns will likely change. But this year he might very well have the edge on your son, that's hunting and those deer belong to everyone until they have a tag on them.

My advice: hunt how you planned based on your scouting and be prepared to change strategies if the deer pattern changes due to his pressure. Good luck.

*zap*

WKR
If you have decent bedding area close to where the bucks currently bed that is on your property and have access to where they bed now you could boot them out of the spot they are using now every day and they will eventually relocate. They may come back the first few times but if you keep at it then they will probably start using the closest next best spot....if it has become all about only what is 'legal' then take it to the next level.
Hunting them on the wrong conditions your neighbor will only make them nocturnal. Then no one gets a shot.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you have decent bedding area close to where the bucks currently bed that is on your property and have access to where they bed now you could boot them out of the spot they are using now every day and they will eventually relocate. They may come back the first few times but if you keep at it then they will probably start using the closest next best spot....if it has become all about only what is 'legal' then take it to the next level.
Hunting them on the wrong conditions your neighbor will only make them nocturnal. Then no one gets a shot.

Agree with this tactic if you're willing to get aggressive. Hopefully you know your property's second best bedding area and that the deer will relocate onto your property and not elsewhere.

One thing is likely for sure, they won't be on your neighbor's 4 acres with him walking through it to get to his stand on the property line.

wileywild

FNG
This is just hunting unfortunately next to an old curmudgeon. Many of us face this year in and year out and I know it's frustrating for yourself and your son having put in so much work over the years. I'll offer this advice, have your son keep a positive attitude and continue to be kind to your neighbor. You just never know if you'll need to access his piece for a recovery one day yet remain firm on trespassing. He has just 4 acres and it may be the right 4 acres but if he hunts it wrong that old buck will move. Depending on the buck he could relocate near by and still use your land. If he's older he'll likely stick around because he's patterned people and feels comfortable with area. Also keep in mind that those bucks will be leaving summer patterns behind soon. Like zap mentioned I'd get aggressive after confirming via glass and get in close to his bed. He's there now, kill now. I know its much more difficult than that and the neighbor fouled some plans but implement plan b asap and move in. I'll reiterate keeping the positive attitude and using it as an opportunity to grow as a hunter. Hope you guys put your tag him.

You have the food, majority of the creek (water), access to additional bedding, and probably more does. You can block the deer access route to the neighbor's property and most likely the deer will still choice the better area (your property).

I'd go for long walks in terrible wind down the property line, wear blaze orange, smoke a cigar, and sing my favorite song as loud a possible.

Someone ;) once set up a home shooting range right on a property line due to a similar situation. That neighbor came around to my...err I mean his way of seeing things.

Not much you can do about what you neighbor does, expect figure out how the deer reacts to his activity and keep tabs on him. I've just come to accept that hunts will get screwed up by someone else every year (have a very long list) and I just need to be patient/keep hunting smart.

T28w

WKR
Shooting range next to the property line is hilarious.

Around here some one would swear they will open a trailer park right on the line lol

Had a real doozy of a neighbor put a blind right on our fence row about 17 years ago with his windows facing onto my brother's property so he had to shoot on to my brothers land so the night before season someone made a run to a trapping supply shop and purchased some skunk cover scent and poured it into the offenders blind while still on his own property...like I said on the fence row...the blind got abandoned real quick.

tntrker

WKR
If the law's the same there as here in SC, you and he will need each others permission to collect a deer that was shot on either property and it runs on the others's property. I'd go ahead and get his permission, and give yours in exchange, for either to collect in case one should run onto his property after shot. I'd then hide cameras along the property line to document any trespass..it sucks but you still have to try to stay civil. I wouldn't like someone telling me how/when to hunt my property no matter what, but I wouldn't do what he is doing either...

This is a tough one, only because your son has done the scouting but he put his blind/stand up along the fence line first and kind of struck blood first. It seems almost as if the other land owner did his stand there to spite the stand 20 feet off a fence line.
Couple questions that need asked, what was your sons intent if he shot a buck and it turned tail and went back where it came from (I am guessing off you property and onto the other land)? Is there an agreement to allow retrieval onto another property?
Second question, is the stand location less than 20 feet off the property edge the ONLY place he could have set his stand up? If my son wanted to place a stand that close to a fence line I would have said no way, mainly due to above, but also because it is just not what I want happening to me and my property.
Do you own any of the bedding area these deer are coming in from? If you do, maybe making a hinge cut trail that courses on and stays on your property would allow these bucks a travel corridor that keeps them away from the 4 acre tract. Even mowing a path through brush and thicket can be a way to “force” deer to go one way and create opportunities. If you do not own any of the bedding area, then I think this is all moot points and simply a function of the whole hinting private land stuff we all deal with.