Neighbor issues help needed

I've dealt with people like this over the years. You've tried to be nice, tried to be neighborly, my advice is just out hunt him. If you are successful and he is not, it usually takes the wind right out of their sails and he'll give up.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you.teaming up with this fellow is not an option. I should have have some background on him. My son has a stand on our property 20 feet away from where he set up. He actually called me and said . I set up a stand on my piece of land 20 feet from your stand down in the creek. I informed him it was my sons .but asked politely if they could alternate on the right wind hunting there. He said I will hunt when I want. I again asked if we could strategize on these bucks as it’s taken 7 years of farming alfalfa and we have never had a big buck so patterned. He again said I will do my own thing and I’m hunting all opening week. Thanks for the advice. Sons out now .long range viewing to see where they are re entering the bedding area.
I suggest you cut him off. Be a good idea to hang some string with cans around the area you don’t want them to be. Will have to re pattern the deer but sounds better than letting your neighbor get a crack at them.

Cornbore

FNG
Just hunt your stand like he doesn’t exist. I own 140 acres and my neighbor owns ONE acre toward the center of mine. He is the biggest A-hole in the United States but no matter what he does I know that every time I show up it pisses him off more than anything he does to me. So I show up a lot.

In our state we can put up high fence with it being lowered to 54" every 1320' . If he has 4 acres you could probably fence out his peninsula. Might not work where you are but might be worth a consideration. It's easier to tack up barb wire than hinge cut and place trees. I deal with property line hunters all the time. You can't retrieve without permission so I don't understand it. Some of our counties now require permission from adjoining landowners if hunting from a stand within certain distance of property line. Pretty good idea in my opinion, but I don't hunt 4 acre properties.

OXN939

WKR
In our state we can put up high fence with it being lowered to 54" every 1320' . If he has 4 acres you could probably fence out his peninsula. Might not work where you are but might be worth a consideration. It's easier to tack up barb wire than hinge cut and place trees. I deal with property line hunters all the time. You can't retrieve without permission so I don't understand it. Some of our counties now require permission from adjoining landowners if hunting from a stand within certain distance of property line. Pretty good idea in my opinion, but I don't hunt 4 acre properties.

Lolol at the idea of VA caring about landowners or their rights; trespassing is literally 100% legal here. At least you guys in the Shenandoah are west of the dog running action. One of those guys literally told me one time he was going to try to kill me because his dog hurt itself on my property after he released it right next to the property line. The Commonwealth is a truly pitiful joke for sportsmen these days.

Lolol at the idea of VA caring about landowners or their rights; trespassing is literally 100% legal here. At least you guys in the Shenandoah are west of the dog running action. One of those guys literally told me one time he was going to try to kill me because his dog hurt itself on my property after he released it right next to the property line. The Commonwealth is a truly pitiful joke for sportsmen these days.

We still have bear hunters. Lots of ways to assert your private landowner rights. Just need to know how to do it. I lease ground in dog country, I'm very familiar with how they operate. Right to retrieve only gives them the right to get their dog, no vehicle, no firearm. They are lazy. Pretty easy anymore with a few cameras to have plenty of evidence.

Now get into fox Chase country. That's a different story. They piss me off.

OXN939

WKR
Lots of ways to assert your private landowner rights. Just need to know how to do it.

I respectfully disagree. I sent this clear picture of guys trespassing in the middle of my property to the game warden as well as their information. "Nothing I can do, they're just looking for their dogs." Totally legal.

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.47.29 AM.png

I get dozens of pictures of dogs like this every year, which were released by strangers right next to my property line with the intention of hunting my private property. "Nothing we can do, the dogs can't read signs. They're allowed on your property whether you want them there or not."

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 9.57.12 AM.png

Please tell me more about all the rights I have as a property owner in Virginia.

That’s a tough one. In Texas we have hog hunters that run dogs. Our laws are a little more strict about trespassing and such, but even so, the hog doggers have taken east Texas and made the property lines blurry. Tough to do much, some folks here have suggested shooting the dog and getting rid of the body, although I could never do that myself. People in Texas are crazy sometimes.

As far as the fence line hunter, I think having cameras along the fence line to catch said hunter on your property is the best option. Either that, or just simply out hunt him. ??

OXN939

WKR
Tough to do much, some folks here have suggested shooting the dog and getting rid of the body, although I could never do that myself.

My buddy has a legal trap line on his own property. The protagonist of the following article is in the habit of releasing his dogs onto my friend's land to run deer, so my friend (after finding dude's contact info on a lost collar on my friend's property) calls to advise him that he may not want to turn his dogs loose into a trap line. The guy loses it. Says he's going to shoot my friend, come find his family, etc... all because my friend wants to trap legally on his own private property. Translated, "If you don't let me trespass, I'll find and kill you."

Evidently, someone else about an hour away got sick of that act, because this article came out a few months later. Guy went crying to the news acting like he was the victim. It'd be funny if he hadn't made several innocent animals pay with their lives.

Last edited:
Wow. At times like that, a high fence is your friend. Sad but true reality. I would not put up with that crap.

I respectfully disagree. I sent this clear picture of guys trespassing in the middle of my property to the game warden as well as their information. "Nothing I can do, they're just looking for their dogs." Totally legal.

View attachment 122769

I get dozens of pictures of dogs like this every year, which were released by strangers right next to my property line with the intention of hunting my private property. "Nothing we can do, the dogs can't read signs. They're allowed on your property whether you want them there or not."

View attachment 122771

Please tell me more about all the rights I have as a property owner in Virginia.

If the warden told you there was nothing he could do then I would be calling his Superior. Something doesn't sound correct about the situation. The wardens generally like an excuse to hassle the dog hunters. If you have clear evidence of them trespassing with a firearm that's all you need. If they didn't have a firearm you are correct in nothing could be done. But if it's posted property and they have a firearm that's all you need.

I do agree that they will turn out on your property line and it's nothing you can do about it. But in my experience a few calls to the warden has them minding what they are doing. I agree that it's not a great situation, however if your property is clearly posted it shouldn't be hard to have tickets issued with photos.

OXN939

WKR
If they didn't have a firearm you are correct in nothing could be done.

The item dude man is holding is a tracking device, not a firearm. So, according to the law, he is welcome to my property, whether I want him there or not.

I went to lower school through college and served in the military for six years here. There is noone who hates how it is more than me. However, that's the reality. The entire paradigm of property ownership in America has been inverted to allow guys to gun down whitetails that are running scared from a pack of dogs.

Wow. At times like that, a high fence is your friend.

Yep. So, if I want to go that route, I effectively get charged a bill for about 20 grand because these dudes like running dogs. Really sweet deal owning property here, let me tell ya.

The item dude man is holding is a tracking device, not a firearm. So, according to the law, he is welcome to my property, whether I want him there or not.

I went to lower school through college and served in the military for six years here. There is noone who hates how it is more than me. However, that's the reality. The entire paradigm of property ownership in America has been inverted to allow guys to gun down whitetails that are running scared from a pack of dogs.

Yep. So, if I want to go that route, I effectively get charged a bill for about 20 grand because these dudes like running dogs. Really sweet deal owning property here, let me tell ya.

Picture sure looks like a gun over the shoulder, not a tracking device. In the past 5 years they have mostly all gone to handheld gps units rather that the old "beep beep" units that took an antenna to point around to find. But that doesn't look like one of the antennas for that either.

Broomd

WKR
Thank you.teaming up with this fellow is not an option. I should have have some background on him. My son has a stand on our property 20 feet away from where he set up. He actually called me and said . I set up a stand on my piece of land 20 feet from your stand down in the creek. I informed him it was my sons .but asked politely if they could alternate on the right wind hunting there. He said I will hunt when I want. I again asked if we could strategize on these bucks as it’s taken 7 years of farming alfalfa and we have never had a big buck so patterned. He again said I will do my own thing and I’m hunting all opening week. Thanks for the advice. Sons out now .long range viewing to see where they are re entering the bedding area.
You need to encourage a secondary bedding area. That isn't easy.
As was mentioned, I'd infuse human scent to the boundary where bubba is set up. Human hair, sweaty clothes. Anything to get those deer to avoid that guy. That could work against you.
I hope your son prevails.

Pnelson

FNG
Good luck on getting those bucks. That would be awesome. You’ll have to post pics if you get them