NEMO Forte 20 cold FEET

Block

WKR
Picked up a NEMO Forte 20 men’s long last week as a backup / truck camping bag... I’m 6’ and it felt like it was a good length,, as most regular bags are snug and I feel crammed... on a beautiful 40 degree night with no wind I woke up with COLD COLD feet and could not go back to sleep... had a thick pair of Darn tough socks on and 2 layers of clothes. Rest of my body was fine.,, Figured id ask if this has been anyone else’s experience with this bag since my GF had the EXACT same frozen feet issue with a women’s Forte 20 that night as well...

Both of us were on THICK Big Agnus air pads with a fairly decent R value,, I don’t know the exact model but Iv never had an issue with them keeping me well off the ground and warm.

Can’t speak to this exact bag, but I’ve used a Big Agnes bag for years. It’s similar in that it’s a wider cut and not confining like a mummy bag. The first night using it I was cold at 35 degrees in a 15 degree bag.
I was told that you are more likely to get cold in a bigger bag because there is more air between you and the bag. That air can suck the heat out on cold nights. I started stuffing clothes in bottom of my bag on cold nights to take up the air space and haven’t had an issue since.
I’ll trade that one issue for not feeling confined in a mummy bag.

OP
Block

Block

WKR
Thanks for the replies,, yeah I’ve heard the same about the bigger bag bein slightly colder... if it was actually cold that night I’d deal with it and give the bag another try,, but with 2 layers and thick socks I shouldn’t be cold at 40 degrees in a 20 degree bag.. back to REI that things goin

My Nemo forte is the biggest bag I have in terms of leg room. I sleep pretty warm and haven’t had the issue but it is a lot of air space to warm up compared to other bags.

one of my favorite cold weather tricks is to place a nalgene bottle of boiling water in the foot of my bag just before bedtime. Be super careful that your Nalgene bottle doesn’t leak. Some after market caps can cause issues. I use a standard lid on a lexan bottle. It stays toasty warm well into the night.

Used that same bag last September in Colorado and had to keep adding layers each night till I found the right combination. Just ordered a WM Badger with overfill to solve that problem. We'll see...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk