Nemo Hornet vs MSR Hubba Hubba

So I'm looking at getting a new tent. I've used the same tent since high school, it's been 10 years and now it's time to upgrade. Since the wife is looking to do some backpack trips into the rockies I've narrowed it down to two options. The Nemo Hornet 2P and the MSR Hubba Hubba.

Have any of you used these two tents?

Pros and cons, personal experience, likes and dislikes, etc.

Also if anyone has one for sale I'd like to take it off your hands.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Summit1

FNG
I have no experience with the MSR, but I can say that as much as I love my Hornet I would not want to go on any extended trips with two people sleeping in it, it's too small. I have slept in the Hornet for a couple of nights with my 10YO son, but he was tiny at the time and even that was uncomfortable. The Hornet is a great tent for one guy with room to stash your pack and bow. Brad

I have a MSR hubba hubba Mx 2 person tent. It’s great, free standing tent and relatively light. Packs up nice and super easy to set up. I used it for me and my dog with hunting gear, plenty of room. I used mine on 2 short 3 day hunts last year so it’s in good condition. I’d be willing to sell it if you’re interested. I am going to try the durston x-mid this year with trek poles.

BoTheHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MSR hubba hubba Mx 2 person tent. It’s great, free standing tent and relatively light. Packs up nice and super easy to set up. I used it for me and my dog with hunting gear, plenty of room. I used mine on 2 short 3 day hunts last year so it’s in good condition. I’d be willing to sell it if you’re interested. I am going to try the durston x-mid this year with trek poles.
How much?

I have a hubba hubba and had a hornet 1. The build quality/durability of the msr far surpasses that of the Nemo but that comes at a weight cost. The Nemo is good for what it is, an ultralight minimalist tent but it’s not freestanding and won’t handle storms and abuse as well as the msr. I can’t speak to the size of the 2p but the 1p was quite snug.

TheCougar

WKR
^This. I have experience in both tents and I wouldn’t use the Nemo when things were going to get western. If weight is that much of a concern, you can get more robust shelters in the form of tipis or tarps.

Davis4507

FNG
I have the new style nemo hornet 2p. I've used it once on a super windy saddle and it did not perform well in the high wind. Wind gusts up to maybe 25. **** totally guessing. The wind made the pole collapse inward hitting me in the head jolting me awake. Happened a few times throughout the night. I had no business setting up where I did. In the right place it's a great tent. Seems super fragile but it made it through a pretty good wind storm.

I would echo others' sentiment on the Hornet 2p. I really like mine - it's a super awesome tent - but no way in heck it is a pragmatic 2p tent. It fits me and my junk and that's about it. The 1p version is probably just wide enough to snugly fit your sleeping pad. It is very well designed and constructed for its purpose and goes up pretty fast.

I also recognize that it is a 3 season tent built with very light materials. I do use the optional footprint to prevent durability issues. I can't imagine too many issues with wind if the provided mid-height guy-out points are securely fastened, though I admit I haven't had it in high winds and there is a good bit of airflow through it due to the caternary cuts in the fly, which was a primary driver for buying it.

If you are at all worried about durability and inside space, I would go to a Dagger, maybe even the 3p version for 2 people. It's bigger in nearly every dimension and built with more durable materials, which makes it weigh about 50% more, though that's still pretty darn light!

Personally, I would love the few extra inches of head height and length. At 6'1", my head and feet are real close to or touching the walls when in my bag. Also, sitting up on my bag & pad, I just barely touch the top of the tent with my head. I think that the extra weight of the Dagger would be worth it for more than a handful of nights or a day or 2 of crappy weather, especially considering the durability improvement due to the heavier materials.

No experience with the MSR but have only heard good things.