Nemo Nocturne/Salsa questions for those who own one.

I have been using an REI Polar Pod 20 degree long mummy bag for years. I have always struggled with the mummy design as I am a side/belly sleeper, and also struggle with the feeling my arms are pinned in the bag (especially when bears come into camp at night, lol). As a result I do not sleep well in a traditional style mummy bag. I am interested in the Nemo spoon shaped bags as an alternative for slide sleepers, and am planning to give one a try. I looked at the backcountry bed but like the Nemo a bit better I think.

My first question is I am 6' 210 lbs, should I go with a regular length or the long bag in this bag? Does the regular bag have enough length for a 6' person, or would I be at its length/comfortable limit?

My second question is the temperature rating. I hunt Northern California where the summer lows are in the 50's, and later seasons usually not below the high 30's. Even November only sees lows around 34-35 until the winter storms and snow hits. My 20 degree bag is normally too warm on my hunts (I am a warm sleeper) until late in the season, and even then I am still sleeping in my underwear! Only a few times has a freak storm really caused the temperature to drop and it was more due to wind chill than actual temperature. I have no trouble wearing extra layers to bed if I have too, especially if there is a bit more room in the bag to do so. I am torn between the 30 degree rated bag or the 15 degree rated bag. I like the lighter weight of the 30 degree bag and do not want to get to hot during May-October scouts/blacktail hunts. Or is this bag style being larger a bit colder, and the 15 degree rated bag more useful for the range of temperatures? How is the bag fabric for blocking wind to prevent wind chill?

I also considered getting the 30 bag and switching to my 20 degree bag when it gets colder, but honestly think I want to get away from my mummy bag all together if I can. I do not snow camp and the season is over before it normally gets really cold in the mountains here. Most my backpacking really falls in the summer months to beat the 115 degree heat of the valley!

Thanks!

I have the Nocturne 15 Long. I am 6'0" 210 lbs with an athletic build. I don't get cold easy but do use my Nocturne 15 throughout the Spring, Summer, Fall and some of the Winter here in Colorado because it is versatile for all those seasons. I think you have to go with your experience and gut on the rating but I would recommend the long for your size. The extra room is always nice to stuff morning layers in the bottom to keep warm and has a few more inches in the shoulder girth if you do layer up.

I have the salsa 15 regular size, I'm 6'1 230LB and it fits me perfect in length, Which I want, don't need to heat up empty space if you don't have too and It's lighter . I went with the 15 cause its always easier to cool off then get warmer. Just my 2 cents.

Fish N Chips,

I bought a Nocturne 15 last September. I currently Hunt, fish and backpack in Northern California and it has worked well so far. I have not yet used it during the summer months, but normally If i get to hot I just unzip or sleep on top of the bag. Last fall while I was chasing Blacktails I stayed very comfortable in temps down to the mid 20's with snow pack on the ground over the course of 10 nights in the wilderness. I am 6' 200 lbs with an athletic build and I fit snug in to my Nocturne 15 Regular. If you have any questions let me know. I also saw on NEMO's website they now make bags similar to the Nocturne with the Zipper vents. I would check them out, the price difference was minor for the versatility.

Thanks guys. Some great tips. I like the zippers on the bag front for temp control, very clever. I will look up the specs on those bags. Most of them are so new I do not see the EN ratings yet. It definitely would make the bag more versatile.

Back