Nemo Riff 15 vs WM terralite

TravisIN

WKR
So I thought I had completely decided on a WM terralite. At first it was between this and a 20 degree slick bag and made a post about it a while ago with a ton of great feedback. WM has about as good of a reputation as you can get. I liked the width and roominess it has. Also Decided I wanted to go the down route. So after doing more research I am also interested in the Nemo riff 15. Also a wider bag which works for me as a side sleeper. It’s a 15 degree bag instead of 25, is about 13oz heavier, has a baffle in it, a waterproof foot box, and a pillow sleeve and about $100 cheaper. I like the idea of the waterproof foot box bc down by my feet is where I get all the condensation. Haven’t found a whole lot out there on this bag. There sites warranty policy reads about the same exact thing as WM. They also claim to have a snag free zipper like the WM. Does anyone have any experience with the company or this bag or any of there bags? Honestly leaning more towards the Nemo if the reviews are like the WM. No where to get my hands on either one so leaning on all of you like always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
As much as I like Nemo gear, those two bags aren't even in the same league. Are you wanting a roomy 15 degree bag? Or a 25 degree bag? If it's 15 I would get a WM Badger. There's a reason you hear glowing reviews on WM bags.... and you can't find any info on the Nemo bags. Your sleep system can literally make or break your hunt. WM bags are just like Kifaru and other high end packs, they hold their value and work like they should. Nemo is "meh" on their temp ratings. WM is spot on. You can always have the WM overstuffed to get more warmth, and you can zip it out into a quilt if you want. In the end, it's your money, but spend wisely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR
As much as I like Nemo gear, those two bags aren't even in the same league. Are you wanting a roomy 15 degree bag? Or a 25 degree bag? If it's 15 I would get a WM Badger. There's a reason you hear glowing reviews on WM bags.... and you can't find any info on the Nemo bags. Your sleep system can literally make or break your hunt. WM bags are just like Kifaru and other high end packs, they hold their value and work like they should. Nemo is "meh" on their temp ratings. WM is spot on. You can always have the WM overstuffed to get more warmth, and you can zip it out into a quilt if you want. In the end, it's your money, but spend wisely.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very valid point on the info that’s out there. Might be telling in itself. I don’t know that I necessarily want a 15 or a 25. Just in that range somewhere. I want to try one of these roomier bags. My cheaper kelty keeps me too cramped and I get so twisted around in it. I think either one is gonna be a major major upgrade

While Nemo claims to have a snag proof zipper, so does every other manufacturer. I can tell you that the WM zipper is actually snag free. I’m not even sure I could snag it if I was trying to snag it.

Sure would be nice if you could have both bags in front of you to do a comparison. Even then, it's not possible to know how a given bag will perform for YOU until you put it through several nights of use in real conditions. Unless you buy with the option to return (if not what you like) you're well advised to be careful and don't buy either until you're convinced. I'm a WM user (many years) and know nothing about Nemo bags, but I'm not discounting them either. They might be a fine bag and do you well. Not everyone is going to buy a WM bag and not everyone needs or likes them. Sometimes the right item happens to be a compromise of sorts. We drove a Cadillac SUV and a Buick SUV. Could've bought either one but we both agreed the Buick had exactly what we wanted and we actually liked driving it better than the Cadillac. I find the same to be true with hunting gear. The ultra-premium ultra-high-price item isn't automatically the best for me.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Travis, I used the Nemo Riff 15* on a 7 day backpack hunt in sleeping temps ranging from 0 to 20. The bag performed great. I never managed to get it wet so I can’t speak for the hydrophobic properties. The zipper is nice, I snagged it once but it was due to my own doing in the middle of the night. The roominess is really nice as I am a side/stomach sleeper. I was thinking about selling it on this site. (gov shutdown has me in a bind so hunting stuff is the first to go) Otherwiae I’d keep it. PM me if interested.

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Sure would be nice if you could have both bags in front of you to do a comparison. Even then, it's not possible to know how a given bag will perform for YOU until you put it through several nights of use in real conditions. Unless you buy with the option to return (if not what you like) you're well advised to be careful and don't buy either until you're convinced. I'm a WM user (many years) and know nothing about Nemo bags, but I'm not discounting them either. They might be a fine bag and do you well. Not everyone is going to buy a WM bag and not everyone needs or likes them. Sometimes the right item happens to be a compromise of sorts. We drove a Cadillac SUV and a Buick SUV. Could've bought either one but we both agreed the Buick had exactly what we wanted and we actually liked driving it better than the Cadillac. I find the same to be true with hunting gear. The ultra-premium ultra-high-price item isn't automatically the best for me.

Kevin I’m thinking of buying a WM terralite for my uses in Alaska. The weight in this bag seems awesome. I am doing my first sheep hunt in August and planning to use this bag. Will I be satisfied? How does it do in wet conditions? Cost is a factor but I’m not bringing my 5 lb wiggys bag with me on this trip.

tbone,

I used a TerraLite on a high-elevation caribou hunt in 2015. I was actually hunting caribou and looking at sheep...so pretty far in the mountains. Anyway, the TerraLite was basically the right temp rating for me on that August hunt. I experienced horrific weather which finally ended with a snowstorm and temps in the 20s. There was a HUGE amount of humidity, rain, fog, clouds and condensation on that hunt. I had to be diligent about keeping the bag protected as much as possible. The bag did absorb some moisture from 5 straight days of it, but never got overly wet or lose ability to loft. If I had to do it again I might look for a waterproof over-bag or bivy of some sort. At the very least I'd have a way to shield the bag by using a lightweight piece of silnylon or maybe cuben fiber over it when moisture was present. As you know it can get very wet and crazy in a hurry when high-elevation storms roll in.

OP
TravisIN

TravisIN

WKR

Great points. Since both are going to be major upgrades I think I will be happy with both. Honestly they are both pretty pricey considering the amount of annual use they will get. With that said whichever one I buy will hopefully be my bag for many many years. Just trying to decide if I want to spend an extra hundred dollars on a bag or put that towards tags. But I don’t wanna save a hundred bucks and have to replace the bag sooner or not get what I want/need. Honestly the terralite will be warm enough for pretty much everything I do but thought I may get some more versatility out of a “15” degree bag.

tbone131

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,
Thanks for the reply sir. That’s exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I am doing an August sheep hunt in the Wrangells and want to make the right back choice from the get go. Thank you very much.