Nemo Sonic 0?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for another sleeping bag thread but I didn't want to hijack someone else's. After doing a backcountry hunt, I told myself I would have a lighter rifle and a warmer sleeping bag for my next trip. I have a few options for the rifle, but have been looking at the bags a lot. I am a side sleeper for the most part and sleep rather cold. I keep coming back to the Nemo Sonic 0. I know it is not a WM bag and their temperature ratings may be a little inflated, but is it a good bag for the money? Mountain Steals is offering an extra 15% off of their already discounted price so it ends up being $271. At that price, and at 2lb 11oz for the regular bag, is it a good buy or not? Thanks.

Benjaminwill80

Lil-Rokslider
Really like mine. I am a side sleeper, about 6ft tall, 170lbs. Very comfortable. Had it in northern BC late August. Temps down to just below freezing and it was comfortable. Think 0 deg would be stretching it. I will either do a liner or get a warmer bag for a colder hunt.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the Sonic as well. Nemo's ratings seem pretty optimistic so I was looking at the 0 and -20 models. I had a Nemo Disco 15 and froze all week between 33 and 35. My other option is to bite the bullet and get a WM Badger or Sequoia.

Rich_Senn

FNG
I've been looking at the Sonic as well. Nemo's ratings seem pretty optimistic so I was looking at the 0 and -20 models. I had a Nemo Disco 15 and froze all week between 33 and 35. My other option is to bite the bullet and get a WM Badger or Sequoia.

I just ordered a Nemo Kayu in 15 degrees..you think the spoon shape of the Disco made it hard to keep warm vs. mummy or just that they are to optimistic on their ratings?

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
Likely a combination of the two. Nemo rates via lower limit instead of comfort so a 15 degree bag's comfort rating would probably be closer to 30. I sleep toward the cooler side and the bag had more volume so for me comfort would have been a few degrees higher, maybe 35-40. The spoon shop is great, but for my uses a Nemo bag would probably need to be 0 rated.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
How well do the thermo gills work on the Nemo bags? I really like the possibility of being able to vent the bag on a warm night. Also, how are they as far as being packable? I have a warm bag that is too big to backpack in but is good for truck camping. I am really looking for my first backpacking bag.

Rich_Senn

FNG
Likely a combination of the two. Nemo rates via lower limit instead of comfort so a 15 degree bag's comfort rating would probably be closer to 30. I sleep toward the cooler side and the bag had more volume so for me comfort would have been a few degrees higher, maybe 35-40. The spoon shop is great, but for my uses a Nemo bag would probably need to be 0 rated.

Most of the mens bag I found still rate at the lower limit, only the women's bags were rated at the comfort limit. I'm hoping the Kayu I ordered is warmer with the 800 FP down vs the Disco 650 FP Down. Maybe being mummy style it will hold heat a little better. Still the most expensive bag I've ever bought and it was several hundred less than WM and FF.

Jalliston

Lil-Rokslider
How well do the thermo gills work on the Nemo bags? I really like the possibility of being able to vent the bag on a warm night. Also, how are they as far as being packable? I have a warm bag that is too big to backpack in but is good for truck camping. I am really looking for my first backpacking bag.
The gills work really well. They definitely extend your temp range toward the warmer side without using the side zip. The spoon shape is legit, just be aware that because of that they won't be as warm.

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I think I'm gonna have to give it a try. The sale is only a few more days and I just can't find a better bag for that price. I would love to buy a WM, but just can't justify it for maybe a week every year if I'm lucky.

Skwurl

FNG
Curious did you purchase this? How did you like it? Going on first western trip this year and looking at Nemo disco15 on sale for $150. I’m a side sleeper so interested in Nemo. I’ve spent a ton on gear already so would like to save a little if I could. At most will be taking trips every other year and will always be sept bow hunting. Will that be warm enough most of the time? Also suggestions on a pad with it?

If it is too cold, just sleep in some base layers or even puffy layers to help stay warm.

I have a insulated nemo cosmo wide that I use for sleeping on. Very comfortable but it isn’t the lightweight variety (tho not overly heavy) as it has 75D material for extra durability.

I have my whole sleep system from nemo, tent bag pad and pillow. Very pleased with all the gear!

OP
S

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I did buy the bag. I have not tested it out in cold weather yet though. I just got inside of it in my house and it seems like its going to do a good job for me. I like the features and the packablilty of it. I also like the shape of it since I can be a side sleeper. I know its not the best bag on the market, but its by far the best bag I own.

Beckjhong

WKR
I have a Sonic 0 long I might be looking to let go if anyone’s interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I used a new Sonic 0 on a 12 day hunt this year in temps down to freezing. I have the long. Bag worked well, but it didn't have near the stretch as my Montbell Spiral Downhugger. Also, I had 5000 feathers left in my tent after the 12 days.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Nemo Sonic 0 and sweat my nuts off when it was in the teens even with the gills open. I have no doubt it would be comfortable in single digits.

VAboy

FNG
I've got the nemo riff 15* and had it down into the teens and was plenty warm. I use it up to 60* pretty comfortable with the gills.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Curious did you purchase this? How did you like it? Going on first western trip this year and looking at Nemo disco15 on sale for $150. I’m a side sleeper so interested in Nemo. I’ve spent a ton on gear already so would like to save a little if I could. At most will be taking trips every other year and will always be sept bow hunting. Will that be warm enough most of the time? Also suggestions on a pad with it?
One thing I figured out, along with many others, is don't skimp on your boots, your pack, and your sleep system. If you don't sleep well, you don't hunt well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk