Neoair Xtherm pad in a bivy

Does anyone use a neoair xtherm pad in their bivy, and if so can you stuff the entire sleeping bag/pad/bivy sack in a compression bag without damage to the pad or should it be pulled out and rolled up and stored separately in the pack?
Secondly, any suggestions on a bivy that is roomy enough for a pad and bag inside? I have a western mountaineering 0 degree bag that has a lot of loft to it and trying to figure out what bivy to get that won’t compress the loft of the bag.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFrank

WKR
I just dove into this territory.

I purchased a Mountain Laurel Designs UL bivy to use with with my 0 down quilt, nemo pillow, liner, and x-therm pad. I don't know how often I intend to use all the components together, but depending on the situation it seemed nice to me to have options for different weather and camping setups.

I have only tested the bivy/entire set up out in my home, as there was quite a wait time on receiving the bivy. At face value I really like how the bivy holds everything in place and it was very handy. My quilt lofted well in it (950 goose, 1 oz extra loft, one of the puffier bags/quilts I own). I probably won't get in the field with it until Oct, but I am loaning the system to my friend for spring bear this year.

I would imagine it could all be stuffed together in a medium sea to summit compression sack, but I would have to double check it and get back to you. When rolled and not compressed too much, it is roughly the size of a two man tent (like a big anges UL 2). I wouldn't think that compressing the pad and bag together would be a huge issue as long as all air was out of the pad.

MLD UL bivy was pretty customizable and a lot of guys also recommend the borah. All depends on your size. I am a skinny bastard at 5'9 150 pounds. I had gotten the regular bivy and it works great for me. A person with wider shoulders would probably struggle a bit with that size.

Also found this FYI

Last edited:
Does anyone use a neoair xtherm pad in their bivy, and if so can you stuff the entire sleeping bag/pad/bivy sack in a compression bag without damage to the pad or should it be pulled out and rolled up and stored separately in the pack?
Secondly, any suggestions on a bivy that is roomy enough for a pad and bag inside? I have a western mountaineering 0 degree bag that has a lot of loft to it and trying to figure out what bivy to get that won’t compress the loft of the bag.
Thanks!

I do frequently use a regular size Xtherm in an UL wt. Borah Gear bivy. I've never just stuffed my pad into a sack, I always fold and roll it up. I've had several Borah Gear , Titanium Goat, Mountain Laurel Designs, and Zpacks bivy's, and they all easily fit both my Xtherm and multiple down quilts from 0-35 degrees. All that said, I would recommend a Borah Gear bivy, and if you think that there could be issues with their standard size bivy's, you could always contact John at BG and for a very minimal cost he will custom make you one.

I do this all one packing on the trail (not for storage). I use it with a 20* bag, pad and a bora bivy. Kifaru 5 string medium stuff sack.

I have become a real fan of my bora bivy. Email them your dimensions and tell them about your bag and pad you plan to run. They will steer you right.

I’ve used a Sierra Designs last few years, before learning about Borah! I’m 6’1 n 325# so finding a decent sized one is difficult and SD was the best I could find.

Now SD will make me a custom sized one for $20 additional !

I’ve used a Sierra Designs last few years, before learning about Borah! I’m 6’1 n 325# so finding a decent sized one is difficult and SD was the best I could find.

Now SD will make me a custom sized one for $20 additional !

Corrections

Borah Gear will be making my custom bivy

I run the MLD eVent size large, the 25" xtherm, and a 20* EE enigma. Seems to all fit very well and I've been very happy with that bivy.

I called thermarest because I like to fold my pad into more of a square and put it against the frame side of the bag, stuff the bag on the outside of that. They said that's fine as long as it's not stored long term that way. I got the impression on the phone that it shouldn't matter too much how it's stored for short periods like that.