Neoprene Wading Socks

Voyageur

WKR
I have read on here of some who, when in boggy conditions with very shallow water where the full height of chest waders or even wading pants wasn't needed have worn just their wading boots with neoprene wading socks in lieu of regular hunting boots. Thinking back on a North Slope caribou hunt from a few years ago I can see some value in this approach so have decided to purchase a pair of the neoprene socks. On the Simm's site they are offered both with and without the gravel guard. I'm assuming I want the gravel guard, but am checking to see what those of you who have used your wading boots in this manner have to say.
Thanks.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
The gravel guard seems like a great idea, but in practice the little hook grabs on everything; if you go that route it’s best to cut it off.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have some of the simms wading socks without the gravel guard.

I use them for multi day hunts so I can get out of my waders but still use the wet, oversized wading boots rather than taking an extra set of boots for short hikes.

The wading socks take up as much room in the boot as the waders do so it feels more or less the same and keens your feet and socks dry.

I wouldn’t use them specifically since they aren’t tall at all and you’d get wet if you stepped in a soft spot.

I would caution against many of the wading socks without researching that pair… most are for wet wading(designed to let your feet be wet)… I took 2 pairs of sealskins inside my wading boots for anything knee deep and was bone dry for 14 days… they are also some kind of neoprene type fabric and fantastic

bmrfish

WKR
I have some of the simms wading socks without the gravel guard.

I use them for multi day hunts so I can get out of my waders but still use the wet, oversized wading boots rather than taking an extra set of boots for short hikes.

The wading socks take up as much room in the boot as the waders do so it feels more or less the same and keens your feet and socks dry.

I wouldn’t use them specifically since they aren’t tall at all and you’d get wet if you stepped in a soft spot.

We came to the same strategy using the sealskin socks. Nice to get a break from the waders on dry days in the right terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I'm ignorant regarding the use of Sealskinz socks. Would I wear a pair of these over my wool socks?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm ignorant regarding the use of Sealskinz socks. Would I wear a pair of these over my wool socks?
The ones I had were too tight for that, Id just wear them alone with some old running shoes or something. The neoprene booties, I do wear over my socks just like I was wearing waders. That way I can walk around in my wading boots with a similar feel as if I had the waders on. I would'nt do any wading that way but it good for walking around and hunting/glassing.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I think guys are sort of getting mixed up here, at least it seems so to me. Sealskinz are just waterproof socks. I thought the purpose of the neoprene sock was to ditch the waders but still use the wading boots for activities where you arent in the water (hiking up a ridge). I only wear seal skins for warm weather fishing in the summer, they don't take up the space of a wading boot for me.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I think guys are sort of getting mixed up here, at least it seems so to me. Sealskinz are just waterproof socks. I thought the purpose of the neoprene sock was to ditch the waders but still use the wading boots for activities where you arent in the water (hiking up a ridge). I only wear seal skins for warm weather fishing in the summer, they don't take up the space of a wading boot for me.
I am definitely confused on just what exactly neoprene socks are. It seems that some are totally waterproof and others are not, i.e. designed for "wet wading" in the warmer months????? Is this correct?
@thinhorn_AK you are correct in stating that my intended use for the neoprene socks is to be able to ditch the waders for those times I'm not in the water.

mooster

WKR
I've used the sealskin socks w/my Simms wading boots for light hiking days on moose hunts when waders aren't needed. Saves weight vs. taking a 2nd pair of boots and still lets me get in /out of raft w/out worrying about wet feet even tho not wearing waders. I have no issues w/being able to tighten my Simm's lite wading boots enough to hike in them using the socks vs. the thickness of my waders.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am definitely confused on just what exactly neoprene socks are. It seems that some are totally waterproof and others are not, i.e. designed for "wet wading" in the warmer months????? Is this correct?
@thinhorn_AK you are correct in stating that my intended use for the neoprene socks is to be able to ditch the waders for those times I'm not in the water.

For me personally, I do multi day float hunts for moose every year. I generally live out of my waders but there are times that I want to ditch them and just air out or hike up a ridge or pack out meat and I don’t want the waders. I don’t want to bring a second pair of boots for that and my wading boots are not only oversized to accommodate the wader sock, but they are also wet.

The wet wading booties are made to get wet but because they are neoprene they are waterproof. They are designed to take up the space of a wading boot. When I use them, I wear my regular socks, then the neoprene wading boot. It just fills the volume of the wading boot so I’m not slipping around in the boot and makes a barrier between the wet boot and my dry socks. If I stepped into water over my ankles, everything would get wet but if I’m doing this, I’m not messing around in water.

The sealskins are cool, they are a waterproof sock but they aren’t as thick as a neoprene sock so if you wore them in your wading boots you’d be dry but you’d have loose boots on (at least I would).

The sealskins are great for muddy hikes with short water crossings though.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
For me personally, I do multi day float hunts for moose every year. I generally live out of my waders but there are times that I want to ditch them and just air out or hike up a ridge or pack out meat and I don’t want the waders. I don’t want to bring a second pair of boots for that and my wading boots are not only oversized to accommodate the wader sock, but they are also wet.

The wet wading booties are made to get wet but because they are neoprene they are waterproof. They are designed to take up the space of a wading boot. When I use them, I wear my regular socks, then the neoprene wading boot. It just fills the volume of the wading boot so I’m not slipping around in the boot and makes a barrier between the wet boot and my dry socks. If I stepped into water over my ankles, everything would get wet but if I’m doing this, I’m not messing around in water.

The sealskins are cool, they are a waterproof sock but they aren’t as thick as a neoprene sock so if you wore them in your wading boots you’d be dry but you’d have loose boots on (at least I would).

The sealskins are great for muddy hikes with short water crossings though.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. That was my initial thinking on neoprene socks, but the more I learned the more confused I got. I do believe I understand now.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody ever use a scuba diving neoprene boot. Can get 5 or 7 mil neoprene to walk with.

OP
Voyageur

Voyageur

WKR
I've used the sealskin socks w/my Simms wading boots for light hiking days on moose hunts when waders aren't needed. Saves weight vs. taking a 2nd pair of boots and still lets me get in /out of raft w/out worrying about wet feet even tho not wearing waders. I have no issues w/being able to tighten my Simm's lite wading boots enough to hike in them using the socks vs. the thickness of my waders.
@bmrfish - asking you the same questions
Reviving an old thread…
Do you happen to know which model sealskinz you went with?
Did you wear your sealskinz over a wool sock or just the sealskinz alone?
Thanks

mooster

WKR
Do
@bmrfish - asking you the same questions
Reviving an old thread…
Do you happen to know which model sealskinz you went with?
Did you wear your sealskinz over a wool sock or just the sealskinz alone?
Thanks
Dont recall the model but was name brand. I wore wools socks under. I hunted N or FAI so was always cold so socks not an issue.