Nest or bivy?

Spring bear hunting in the Chugach, although I’ve never experienced bug problems in the fall either, when mountain hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anyone have experience with the zpack solo bathtub groundsheet? when bugs aren't a factor, seems like a good option, and could be used as a meat tarp as well when cutting up critters. the large (plus version) seems like a multi use piece of gear to have in the pack that doesn't weigh much.

Yes. I have the wide one. 3.5 oz of awesome.

OP
roosiebull
Yes. I have the wide one. 3.5 oz of awesome.
yeah, i'm getting one. didn't know they existed until yesterday browsing sites. i can think of several uses for it too, handy to always have in the pack, and looks good for it's intended purpose. i can get one of those and a nest.... only need a nest in the spring, rest of the time, the bathtub groundsheet will be perfect.

Just to add a little info; some nests are really heavy. I use a Six Moons Serenity NetTent in my Pocket Tarp when buggy. 11 oz. That's a 17 oz full shelter. It's connected with mitten hooks and is fast/easy to install or remove.

I'm sure you could rig this inside any tipi or tarp, in some cases by adding a couple stick on loops and mitten hooks. In many cases no need to add anything.

20200524_153620.jpg
20200522_071922.jpg

Last edited:
I debate this still, the lightweight borah dcf bug bivy vs. nest. Usually I'm using one or the other to avoid tics in early season, so I can sleep in comfort without freaking out thinking every wisp of hair or fabric that brushes on my exposed skin is a tic looking to dig in.

I haven't mastered sleeping comfortably with a bivy net on my fast, even though the borah one is so light. I try wearing a cap, but don't love sleeping in a cap. So last year I sacrificed a little weight (about 9o extra z.) to bring a dcf nest instead.

Still want to get comfortable sleeping with the borah bivy as love the simplicity and lightness. You'll likely figure it out with your own experience and either way is good.

PlanoDano

FNG
I have always preferred a bivy. The bristlecone I use has a tieout that keeps the net off of the face. As I get older I am losing flexibility which is making me reconsider the bivy as it is getting harder to get in and out.