Nest or no?

I have not found an answer to this question. I was wondering if a nest is necessary for a floorless tent in the mountains of Colorado 1st week of September. If it depends on region, let me know closest town or national forest. For instance, in arkansas I would definitely run a nest because of bugs and a slight possibility of snakes getting in the tent. We have a lot of different types of snakes, and I see them a lot in the southern and eastern region of our state. I've seen cottonmouths sun on a log while duck hunting in January. I have not found much as far as bug activity in colorado. I've found that there are different types of rattlesnakes there, but I've read that you don't see them as much. Thanks for any input. I would return the favor if you have any questions about my area.

rclouse79

WKR
When you consider the cost and weight of a nest plus shelter, I would just go with a regular tent. I like my floorless and stove when it is cold and there are no ticks.

AdamLewis

FNG
There was a time when I would have gone floorless about anywhere any time.

My wife got my used to a fully enclosed tent as she won't sleep in a floorless. These days some of the lightest and most capable1P and 2P tents are either fully enclosed (Durston Xmid, for example) or can be had with purpose built nests (SO's stuff).

I still love my Sawtooth due to its well proven ability to handle weather, but unless I am going somewhere I think I will need that I take something enclosed now.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
We hunted during the 2nd week of September last year. No issues with bugs and we were using floorless tents. Camped around 8-9k feet.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

if you are willing to pay you can get a very lightweight floorless tent and nest. The reason I like the 1 person nest in a 2 man tent is I can get in and out of the weather without getting in the nest. Wet gear and muddy boots stay out of my nest with my sleeping bag and clean clothes.

Split toe

WKR
I have not found an answer to this question. I was wondering if a nest is necessary for a floorless tent in the mountains of Colorado 1st week of September. If it depends on region, let me know closest town or national forest. For instance, in arkansas I would definitely run a nest because of bugs and a slight possibility of snakes getting in the tent. We have a lot of different types of snakes, and I see them a lot in the southern and eastern region of our state. I've seen cottonmouths sun on a log while duck hunting in January. I have not found much as far as bug activity in colorado. I've found that there are different types of rattlesnakes there, but I've read that you don't see them as much. Thanks for any input. I would return the favor if you have any questions about my area.
Fellow Arkansas guy here. We just got back from Colorado and we used floorless.

Luked

WKR
Im going Floorless this year We leave for CO friday and will be out all next week.
Im still a rook so i have no clue but from everything i have heard is the same as what has been mentioned already. Most time no bugs up high anyway. And from what i have been seeing it has been pretty dry so im not really concered about the flying blood suckers either.
I went Floorless due to size and weight mainly. Floorless you can get a pretty decent size tent that packs down light and small.
Just my rookie opinions

I have never used a nest in a floorless shelter and have hunted the first week of September for 8 years or so now. I do agree mosquitos could potentially be a problem, but most years you'll be fine, and in those rough years if you pick your camping spot well you'll be fine.

That's why I like the Tarptent SS2, I can use with or w/o the nest. The location, altitude and temps will determine whether you want a nest or not. I prefer a nest over waking up to find a snake or rodent in my bag.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have used a floorless Eolus on nearby Grand Mesa many times in September with no issues. Grand Mesa is one of the most mosquito infested places in Colorado during June, July, and August but it is not a problem in September.