Nest Vs. Bivy

I'm still figuring out my shelter options for this next year. I"m going to try the floorless thing unless we draw more tags on the snake river (some of you saw the millipede video I posted!).

I keep changing my mind with a lot of different shelters, but I'm really looking at the BCS by Seek Outside or their LBO. One thing I'm liking about the LBO is how modular it is. You can run it by itself at 1 lb and open on one side, throw a vestibule on it with stove jack for late season solo stuff (could work for two but would be cramped I think with gear), or attach it to another LBO for when hunting with a partner. Could even use the tarp connector with stove jack in conjunction with both LBO's and have a very solid setup. Might not have the snow load capabilities of a tipistyle tent, but I think it could work out well for what we need.

With that said, I'm planning on using a quilt/sleeping pad this next year as well. I'm thinking the bivy would be a good idea with the quilt as it'll lessen the chance that the quilt will slide off of me or move around too much during the night and also protect the down quilt from moisture. Would be getting a bivy around the 6 oz area (TI Goat, Zpacks...).

I'm also considering going with a nest instead of a bivy. Bugs can get pretty bad summer scouting and it would be nice to not have to run the thermacell while hanging out in camp. Being able to situp or read a book inside the nest is another benefit. Bearpaw nests are running around 8-10 oz for the 1 person. Not sure how well they'll fit into a Seek Outside shelter but it is better than the 20 oz 2 person nest Seek Outside sells. Not sure how well the quilts work without a bivy or something similar....? Looking at the Revelation X Quilt by Enlightened Equipment...

Any inputs or thoughts on this would be great. Thanks.

Mike

Rock the bivy!

My setup next year will be a SO LBO and a Tigoat omni raven bivy

My montbel UL SS 3 will be perfect inside that bivy and my Static V pad.

bandit1

FNG
I have a 2 man nest from bearpaw that weighs in at 18 ounces. I use this inside my SL5 and am happy with it. It's great for my son and I or my wife and I. It's too much weight for a solo nest so I just recently picked up another nest for just myself. It's a bearpaw minimalist that I picked up from the Backpacking light gear swap forum. It's the extended length and weighs in at 10 ounces total. My plan is to use this nest instead of a bivy sack and/or tyvek. I get bathtub floor protection and no bugs for 10 ounces. It takes up a small footprint and I think you could easily put 2 of them in the SL5 even with the wood stove in there.

Lawnboi

WKR
Id say it depends on where and when you like to camp.

A nest is a necessity for me in places. that's why I still own a couple double walled tents with floors and the works. Mainly for bugs, No fun when the skeeters are eating you alive inside your shelter. IMO a nest has 1 single use, to keep bugs out, that is it.

A bivy is far more versatile, if you go the LBO route it will allow you to pitch it however you want based on what you want at the time. The reason I wouldn't take a nest when I take my Ptarp is that I like to pitch it all kinds of ways based on the terrain, weather, temp, if I want to be able to sit and glass under it... A bivy is just so versatile. Even at that I can throw it in the pack for a day hunt and if I get stuck out for the night I know ill be well protected.

I say you weigh the options of when and where you backpack. But me Ill own both a tarp/bivy combo because I love sleeping in it when it works well, and a double walled tent with a floor for times and places where without it the bugs would eat me alive

I think the decision over nest or bivy for me is dependent on what shelter I am using.
I have just started using a net bivy in my Supertarp. Pro's would be no insects, and don't have to take along tyvek for a groundsheet. Con's are constraint, and the stupid net touching my face (which I plan to fix).
Nest in a tipi shelter have done me well when needed. Pro's no insects, space to move around sit up get dressed etc. Con's are extra weight and it does take up half the shelter (at least mine does).

For me I guess it all boils down to how much I want to move around in a shelter vs how much I want to carry.

bbrown

WKR
For my Oware 9x9 - I use the TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy when its just me or me and a buddy - he's on his own. When the wife goes I will use the BPWD Pyranet 1 with the extended length and height. It takes up 1/2 the floor space and weighs in around 10 ounces so it is cheaper and lighter than picking up another bivy. Both have advantages but I do not see myself ever taking the nest when its just me.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I haven't used the BCS yet, but I have plans to get one out this spring. I now am the proud owner of two LBO bases and a vestibule. Might even own the tarp by the time I have a BCS in hand. I am planning on pitching both side by side and taking a LOT of pictures, etc.

I to havent seen the BCS yet, but should work. I would also go with the Ti-Goat Omni Raven with the full hood netting option. Adds 20.00 to the price. That way in good weather, often times i just elect to use the bivy or if i am in a spot for a few days i'll go with bivy and para-tarp. The two together make a bomb proof shelter. Nice thing about the Ti-Goat is when you leave to go on your hunt you can zip it closed so its relatively water resistant. Plus there is not probably not much weight difference between the bug bivy or the Ti-Goat.

OP
HellsCanyon
For my Oware 9x9 - I use the TiGoat Ptarmigan bivy when its just me or me and a buddy - he's on his own. When the wife goes I will use the BPWD Pyranet 1 with the extended length and height. It takes up 1/2 the floor space and weighs in around 10 ounces so it is cheaper and lighter than picking up another bivy. Both have advantages but I do not see myself ever taking the nest when its just me.

Well that answers my question on the other forum... :)

Did you get the stove jack in the vestibule? Why did you get two LBO's? Want to sell one...? :)

I think the weights are dang near a wash... 5-7 oz for a bivy and 8-12 oz for a nest. This will be my only back country shelter (my cheap tent got its zipper blown out last year and snapped a fiberglass pole. I think with the LBO, getting weight shouldn't be a problem so I'm not sure I need the water protection of a bivy. I'm mainly want to be protected from bugs early season. I think later in the year just rolling with a bathtube floor or piece of tyvek might be the way to go.

Tough decision because both will work...

Mike

To me the answer is based on if you like to put your pants on while sitting on your butt or standing up. My old(er) back prefers standing up when putting pants on or off. I use a SL-5 for my shelter for the same reason.