Netflix's "Our Planet"

@fulldraw

FNG
Has anyone else watched Netflix's new nature documentary? The footage they captured is phenomenal. However, I don't think they showed a single mammal being caught/eaten/killed which was odd considering the number of fish, birds reptiles were shown dying. I also found the constant commentary regarding everything being destroyed as a result of humans a bit annoying. It's an important point to discuss but they could have offered a little more nuance than what they did. I can't say I'm surprised by any of it, unfortunately.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I watched the first episode with my kids the other day. Looks like its the same BBC folks that did Blue Planet and a couple other nature documentaries. If it is, they certainly aren't against showing natures brutality, they did a whole other series called "The Hunt" which is pretty epic. This latest one specifically seems to be highlighting climate change and our impact on the our planet though.

ODB

WKR
@JWP58 its called Science: https://nca2014.globalchange.gov/
"Global climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels."

That doesn’t mean that it’s not weaponized for cynical purposes. Therein lies the problem.

And Don’t act like science can’t be used subjectively. Science isn’t some “thing” out there that we access like the Oracle at Delphi, it’s the product of humans. The recent habit of throwing around “it’s science” as the end of some conversation is nauseating and reductive.

Remember, phrenology was “science” at one time. The arrogance that modern scientist are beyond error or corruption damn near makes it a religion. Think about it.

*zap*

WKR
Here is what I think:

The number of humans on the planet and the rate they reproduce and the amount of resources they consume is an unsustainable situation. India soon to pass China as #1 populated country. Indonesia soon to pass the USA as #3.

The oceans are dirty with huge floats of plastic in them. Fish #'s are down due to the demand for food. I remember fishing off Montauk 50 years ago and then 25 years ago the numbers we would catch were dramatically less. Probably much less now.

Something is going to give......if the ice pack does melt enough it will be very bad but a person cannot get impartial info on where that situation is right now since it has become a political agenda.

People for the most part cannot sustain their own lives under dire circumstances....turn off the grid completely and 50%+ of the USA would be dead in short order.

I go to the best place to purchase fish around here and more than half is farmed fish that is fed soy pellets.....that stuff is not worth eating.

Overall, when you consider that the political situation worldwide is totally polarized with no compromise options and the population explosion worldwide (with the exception of wealthy countries) it is hard to be optimistic. A bit off topic, I guess....

I think dramatic change of some sort within 10 years, maybe less.

Last edited:
"Global climate is changing and this is apparent across the United States in a wide range of observations. The global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels."
Easy with the “it’s science” stuff.
Lobotomies were considered legitimate medical procedures by doctors/scientists For a period of time. Eggs are good for you according to one study and bad for you according to another study. Science changes all the time. I don't think we as humans know as much as we think we do. I’m not saying the earth isn’t warming, I’m just saying be careful with the “it’s science” stuff like we know with a 100% certainty on it.

Beckjhong

WKR
I’m not sure that pointing to past fallacies predicts future ones. We act on the best knowledge we have at the time, and it will always be an incomplete picture. Though I will argue in this case the picture is 99.9% complete.

Let’s say everyone agrees we need to act on scientifically proven global warming and we make our environments cleaner, healthier and sustainable. Seems like a great outcome, even in the highly highly highly unlikely event this data is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not sure that pointing to past fallacies predicts future ones. We act on the best knowledge we have at the time, and it will always be an incomplete picture. Though I will argue in this case the picture is 99.9% complete.

Let’s say everyone agrees we need to act on scientifically proven global warming and we make our environments cleaner, healthier and sustainable. Seems like a great outcome, even in the highly highly highly unlikely event this data is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just making the point that sometimes we don’t “know” as much as we think we do. And looking to past fallacies/events can be very useful. It’s one of the reasons we take history class.

JWP58

WKR

Oh my goodness, well that settles it! Lol

"Science" after all.....

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
That is highly unlikely if you consider human nature.

Ever been to London? I was there a week ago. One thing you’ll notice are the thousands and thousands of chimneys on all the houses that are no longer in use. They used to spew a perpetual stream of coal smoke. Read William Blake’s The Chimney Sweep to get an idea of how things were.

Granted, when we flew out you could see the layer of smog over the city, but when you consider what it was like 100-200 years ago..well, they have made enormous progress in cleaning things up.

16Bore

WKR
20 years and it’s all over. Animal populations down 70%. Watched a little this afternoon.

Propaganda.

jmez

WKR
Planet is 4.5 billion years old. We have climate data got 100 years, much of which is unreliable.

Yep, humans and carbon are the cause of a warming trend. We know it isn't normal cyclical change how? No evidence the earth underwent any "climate changes" prior to modern times.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

ljalberta

WKR
I remember back in 2006 when we only had 10 years to save the world. Looks like we got another 10 somehow... I'm all for making responsible choices to preserve the wonderful world and wildlife we have - I just hate how the issue has been politicized and weaponised on so many levels.

My wife and I have been watching the show though. Absolutely incredible filming and fascinating to see some things and behaviours I never knew existed.

*zap*

WKR
Ever been to London? I was there a week ago. One thing you’ll notice are the thousands and thousands of chimneys on all the houses that are no longer in use. They used to spew a perpetual stream of coal smoke. Read William Blake’s The Chimney Sweep to get an idea of how things were.

Granted, when we flew out you could see the layer of smog over the city, but when you consider what it was like 100-200 years ago..well, they have made enormous progress in cleaning things up.

China has more than made up for London....