Nevada 111-115 rifle elk

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky in the Nevada draw again this year and got a 111-115 early rifle elk tag! Being a non-resident that lives more than 1,000 miles away, I don't know anything on the units and likely won't be able to make a scouting trip before the season. Last year a fellow Rokslider was able to point me in the right direction for a Nevada antelope tag, so I'm hoping someone is willing to do the same on this tag since it will likely be my only chance to hunt antlered elk in Nevada. I won't have any access to horses, but I could bring a quad if that helps in this unit and I am not afraid to hike a lot! Thanks in advance for any advice someone is willing to share!

Jared

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
jvonbank

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have knowledge on this area that they're willing to share?

Thanks,
Jared

OP
jvonbank

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I'll be heading out to Ely on Friday for this once-in-a-lifetime elk hunt. Thanks again to the couple of people who have already sent me some info for this hunt. Anyone been in the area recently or have any last minute advice? Looks like snow and really cold temps are in the forecast starting this weekend. I was thinking about doing some back-pack hunting but that could make it a little rough.

Thanks,
Jared

The weather has been stable most of the fall. The weather moving in should make for good hunting, though the camping might not be so fun. My son and myself punched our tags last weekend, but in a way, I wish that I was hunting this weekend. Good things are going to happen for those that are out. Get away from the roads and the quads, and you will see animals.

I've never hunted that area myself, but I have had several friends who have and most of the bigger bulls stay really high from what they have told me. Good luck!

OP
jvonbank

jvonbank

Lil-Rokslider
Well, the weather from this past weekend didn't materialize and we must've not been looking high enough or in the right places because we really struggled finding any elk. I was also really surprised at how many roads were cut through the country we were hunting. Anyway, I still was able to connect on my best bull ever yesterday! If it wasn't for the down fall that caught him, he'd have probably rolled all the way to the bottom of that rockslide. It definitely isn't much fun cutting them up and packing them out of that stuff. Thanks again to those that were willing to share some info with me on the area, lots of good people out there on this forum!

Jared
59dc0f3f572d81bb7eca090c411d1bbf.jpg
1522cbb91556e3bf4fb100a47dafab73.jpg

Well, the weather from this past weekend didn't materialize and we must've not been looking high enough or in the right places because we really struggled finding any elk. I was also really surprised at how many roads were cut through the country we were hunting. Anyway, I still was able to connect on my best bull ever yesterday! If it wasn't for the down fall that caught him, he'd have probably rolled all the way to the bottom of that rockslide. It definitely isn't much fun cutting them up and packing them out of that stuff. Thanks again to those that were willing to share some info with me on the area, lots of good people out there on this forum!

Jared
59dc0f3f572d81bb7eca090c411d1bbf.jpg
1522cbb91556e3bf4fb100a47dafab73.jpg

Nice bull. Congrats!