Nevada 131-134 Mule Deer

CrewMan6

Hey all, long time lurker first time post.

I drew the early rifle tag for 131-134 and I will be focusing my efforts on 131. As I was scouting I noticed that the deer numbers are not "evenly" spread throughout the area.

Once I got home I did some more google scouting and I found some more details:
1) The middle and northern parts of 131 are the mule deer summer grounds
2) The deer will eventually transition southward up to and around Hwy 6
3) Unit 132 is where these deer like to winter

What patterns have you seen concerning this unit? I will be hunting mid October. Thank you for any details or tips that you might offer.

Best,

jonny5

How did the hunt go?

This is a tag I'm interested in hopefully drawing one day.

OP
C

CrewMan6

How did the hunt go?

This is a tag I'm interested in hopefully drawing one day.
It did not go well.

We saw plenty of does and small forkies down low. There was plenty of water in the region too. We hunted in Red Mountain wilderness, all around the corduroys and into other nearby wildernesses. We tried to get away from other hunters and roads. Hiked our butts off. Saw some good 6 point elk. We have some guide buddies and asked them about the area this hunting season. One guide told us he spent the previous 2 months scouting and putting out trail cams for his trophy clients and the numbers are way way down. We went to some farm fields and hiked some public land between them to see if they held much and the best we saw there were some small four points. We drove up north into Indian garden, treasure mountain and those ranges to glass and see any signs. As we drove by other camps most of them were without a harvest and if they did it was does or tiny bucks.

If you want this hunt, I would 100% scout before your hunt and if you aren't seeing anything then turn it in because I think this unit has been mismanaged.

jonny5

It did not go well.

We saw plenty of does and small forkies down low. There was plenty of water in the region too. We hunted in Red Mountain wilderness, all around the corduroys and into other nearby wildernesses. We tried to get away from other hunters and roads. Hiked our butts off. Saw some good 6 point elk. We have some guide buddies and asked them about the area this hunting season. One guide told us he spent the previous 2 months scouting and putting out trail cams for his trophy clients and the numbers are way way down. We went to some farm fields and hiked some public land between them to see if they held much and the best we saw there were some small four points. We drove up north into Indian garden, treasure mountain and those ranges to glass and see any signs. As we drove by other camps most of them were without a harvest and if they did it was does or tiny bucks.

If you want this hunt, I would 100% scout before your hunt and if you aren't seeing anything then turn it in because I think this unit has been mismanaged.
Thanks for the update CrewMan6. Sorry to hear the hunt didn't go as planned. I'll keep researching my options.

thewileyone

It did not go well.

Thanks for the update and the response. Hope you have better luck this year.

3Fingerbrown

Unit 131 is a tough tag to draw, I feel bad for the guy who drew it using 22 points last year in the guided draw. Hopefully he had better luck..

WRO

Greg Krogh took it off his application list this year if that tells you anything..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vegas03A3

Holy schnikees, am I reading NDOW's stats right that only 8% of applicants were awarded tags?

Best of luck to you fine folks who manage to grab that!

This is going to be my first draw and I decided to put in for high draw odds units even if harvest odds weren't great. NEED to get out and start hoofing and learning the basics, so a 20% harvest rate didn't bug me too much.

BattleBorn83

I've got this early rifle tag this year.

@CrewMan6 what are the top three things you'd do differently?

Or anyone else who's hunted this area...?

OP
C

CrewMan6

I've got this early rifle tag this year.

@CrewMan6 what are the top three things you'd do differently?

Or anyone else who's hunted this area...?
That depends on what you aim to accomplish.

1) if you are looking for mature bucks or trying to get to good and trophy class then scout before your season. If you don’t see a lot of bucks then I’d turn it back in.

2) check out the northern ranges of the unit and then work south, these bucks migrate south as the season progresses